Advice on a F430 purchase | FerrariChat

Advice on a F430 purchase

Discussion in '360/430' started by JCaspar, Sep 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JCaspar

JCaspar Rookie

Nov 24, 2019
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Jeff Caspar
    I have been searching for an F1 F430 Coupe in red or yellow (my first Ferrari!) for several months now and have found two cars that seem like good candidates.
    The first is a 2007 Red/Tan, yellow tach, Daytona seats, factory subwoofer, carbon dash, steering wheel and paddles. It has a little over 30k miles and looks in beautiful shape. It had a PPI done a year ago which noted brakes 50%, ball joints 7/10, heavy leak at bell housing, loose outer tail light. Clutch 33% used but recommended replacing it when fixing leak. Car is in town. No service records. Unclear what was done with the headers but there is a picture attached of the part number of one of them. Would get a PPI. 7 owners. Hope to get this for 85-90k$.
    The second is a 2005 Red/black with minimal options, what look like standard seats (picture attached), carbon dash only. It has 13,000 miles and has records from day one all performed by the local Ferrari dealership with the most recent in July. It has had exhaust manifold replaced twice it looks like and had bracket welded all by the dealer. Owner describes it as perfect. This car is an 8 hr drive away but a short flight. Three owner car. Hoping to get this for 95k$.

I guess my questions are: are the improvements from 2005 to 2007 worth the extra miles? Are 13,000 miles low enough to be concerning? How concerning would a car with no records be if I have a PPI? How concerning is the bell housing leak. I don't have many requirements for a car other than Red but would like a yellow tach. Figure I may be able to swap in one for the 2005 if I really miss it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  3. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Wow, so to understand, a 2005 with 13k miles and full batch service records or a 2007 with 30k and no records. For sure go with the 2005. How could a 2007 have no records, just weird. I see the temptation of the 2007 but the lack of records says a lot about the car and the owners that had the car. If the 2007 had records and with higher miles I would say go for it but that is not the case.

2005 would be my bet. Don't forget to get a ppi.

E60 M5 and EastMemphis like this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Take the 2005, the other one would cost a lot to fix if the car is still as the previous ppi

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    07 was first year for option carbon brakes. i found this sheet here on fchat so credit to whoever created it..

Attached Files:

6. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    If it’s between the two, the 05 is the far better choice both financially and headache wise. Trust me, if you buy a car that needs work, the cost, time, and frustration to make it right will likely make you dislike the car and then at that point, it’s worthless to you.

My $.02, think about what options are important to you and then make a decision. I say that because the two cars you posted are so wildly different that I can’t imagine how one could consider either of them.

Draw a line in the sand in regards to colors, miles, options, and ownership history, then start looking for a car and only allow yourself to compromise on 1 of those categories, otherwise you’ll have a wandering eye and wish you had paid a few grand more for the car you really wanted.

Also, I think you can do better on price. The first should be much cheaper due to miles, let alone mechanicals/lack of records. The second should be 5ish thousand cheaper due to options (probably worth 95 but with the low options, the only way to sell that car is price). If it were me, I would get a fairly loaded car even if it’s $10,000 more as you will certainly get the money back when you sell but the real factor to consider is how easy it is to sell and for me, that’s worth reallocating $10,000 to avoid a headache in the future (also you would enjoy looking at the car much more).

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    If you choose the 2007, you will be spending a lot of money on it before you get to drive and enjoy it.
    You’ll be starting at 30,000 miles and probably drive it a couple thousand miles a year. In five years it will have somewhere around 40,000 miles on it. It may be hard to sell for top price with 40,000 miles on it.
    I’d go for the 2005 also.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My guess reading between the lines, is that the '05 is too thinly optioned, and the '07 is too risky (which several of us agree with). I think the best answer is keep searching to find something in the middle....there are plenty of these so not a problem.

550nitis likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    idk guys - considering neither car mentions aftermarket headers or f1 actuator being addressed, i think these cars carry the same amount of risk.

10. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Have you checked with Yellow Compass? He seems to have knowledge of a lot of F430’s.

550nitis likes this.
  11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is not true. CCBs were available from the beginning. I have an '05 bought new and they were available. I still have the option list somewhere. I passed on them myself mainly due to 15K+ price tag.

Dave

gsworld2014 likes this.
  12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Like the others, I'd go with the '05. The leak is likely a rear main seal. My car developed one while under warranty. I believe it is uncommon but does happen. At best, you're looking at around a 10K repair there with new clutch. It is not encouraging that the owner has allowed the leak to become "heavy."

Patience is a virtue with Ferrari shopping. Wait for the car you really want.

Dave

550nitis likes this.
  13. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I would go with the 2005. I have a 2007 but love the lower miles and records of the 2005 you mentioned. I would also go with les d’options for lower miles, but that is just me.

Mike at Yellow Compass found me exactly the color combo, options, and price I was looking for on my 2007 F430. It was off market. I would suggest calling him to put his feelers out there!

Since February I have only had to put gas I my 2007 he found me:). Exactly as described.

550nitis likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    when i ordered my carbon brakes on my 07, they told me it had just become an option. Ive heard other people say 07 was the first year. Either your dealer or my dealer was misinformed but u def see 07s with them and ive never seen a single 05 or 06 with carbon brakes.

15. zboost300

zboost300 Karting

Jan 27, 2019
    I would go for the 07

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The ball joints alone are about £1200 plus hours of fitting time, if they are going then so is the steering and rear tie rod joints, then oil leak and clutch. It will cost big money in parts alone so give the 07 a wide berth.

17. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    They were definitely available from the start.
    I have seen a number of 05/06s with them. Almost bought an 05 optioned with them.

08 and forward they were standard.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Well I learned something new today, thanks!

HH11 and gsworld2014 like this.
  19. JCaspar

JCaspar Rookie

Nov 24, 2019
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Jeff Caspar
    Thanks everyone this has been a huge help. Made me realize I need to step back, figure out exactly what I want and wait for that. Will still think about the 05 but the 07 is out without some records. Just to risky. Appreciate all the advice and the PPI checklist. Great site. Thanks again.

whatheheck likes this.
  20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just the labour on the 07 will be massive

21. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    #21 PCarRI, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    What he said...

Of note, I purchased a 2006 F430 Spider this past March WITH a PPI from a Ferrari dealer. Thus far I've spent approx $11,200 in service items at my indy this year. Now granted, $7k of that was 4 new solenoids when I only needed 2 (preventative since he was already had everything open) and the cam cover gaskets (which were noted on the PPI) so overall it was specing out to be a year where I figured I would stay in my $5k-per-year service budget until that CEL went on. That being said, the PPI missed that I needed new front brakes and that the F1 block was leaking.

Advice from someone who went through exactly what you went through this year... as said above, set your parameter around color and options, don't deviate, wait for the right one to come up and make sure the PPI is done by a good indy in the area. Maybe different FCar dealers are different, but two I've dealt with thus far were very dismissive since I lived out of state and obviously wasn't bringing to to them for further service and provided very shoddy PPIs.

22. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    I’d keep looking. Having said that, if you plan to sell the standard seats and non carbon interior is a major drawback for many buyers. Additionally, 33% worn clutch does not warrant a new clutch, that’s ridiculous. Since it seems you haven’t negotiated or haggled price, maybe see if they could reduce price and fix the car. I don’t think many people are going to want purchase this car with that many issues.