Straight Piped 550... Volume Up | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Straight Piped 550... Volume Up

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by FerrariFR33458, Apr 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

At your leisure please LMK, if you are interested in moving any too loud components.

My kids want a hard rock concert sound system installed underneath the car.

Something that would make Ozzy blush.

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You'll need LED under car lighting to go with that...

:)

ralfabco likes this.
  3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    F456M likes this.
  4. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Interesting, I swear my 456M is much (much) quieter when it is at temperature and/or after I drive it for awhile. The exhaust note seems less “clattery”. Admittedly I have a loud set-up to begin with but I wonder why this is...

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My 575M will have Fabio's headers, cats, and connector pipe, but stock straight center pipes and Superamerica HGTC mufflers.

Exhaust notes definitely change as the exhaust warms up.

F456M likes this.
  6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Man that is the perfect set-up, saving my nickels for his 456M cats/headers. Amazing work and I cannot wait to hear your car.

F456M likes this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mine is opposite... much louder when warm. I have also wondered why actually. It is quite normal that when the car is cold and started up, there is more noise/sound because the engine gets much more fuel to warm up. When then engine is warm after about ten minutes it get a much more lean air/fuel mixture and it gets more quiet. Then on the other hand, when the exhaust after an houre or so gets really hot, it becomes louder again, but that has notging to do with the mixture. Carburators engines normally have a bit mor rich mixture to be able to run quite easily with out choke when not fully warm. Because of that, generelt speaking, a carburators car has usually a bit better sound...

8. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Eric, I have often thought about the same thing. Fabio 6-1 headers and cats, stock exhaust from the cats back. I don’t want my car to be loud, but I’d like to improve the quality of the sound. I like some engine noise too, I don’t want the exhaust to be so loud that it’s all I hear. On road trips, the 550’s quiet exhaust is definitely welcome. I think the 550 OEM design while still 2 sets of 3-1 is a lot closer to the 6-1 design than the 575 exhaust, so not sure what the improvement will be. Maybe the change in sound will be less than on a 575.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The precats on the 575M, 612, and 599 definitely clog up the exhaust and hurt the music.

F456M and crinoid like this.
  10. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    If you were nearby you could absolutely try them (I have Fabio’s h-pipes and Supersprint open x-pipes). I am keeping them for now in case I go back to cats and add valved mufflers, but I will reach out if I settle on one setup.

F456M and ralfabco like this.
  11. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David

Fiammenghi headers, cats and centers

Il Tifoso, tres55 and niftyfivefifty like this.
  12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #87 F456M, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020

You are spot on Tas. My buddy have a Bentley Continental Flying Spur with W12 and biturbo. That car is 10x more silent than a Maranello, but at the same time the quality of the sound inside the car is fantastic. I would say twice as good as a 550. It sounds so refined and is a big pleasure to sit in. And the thing is pretty damn fast too! So what I was thinking is that it is not the sound level that is important to change. It is more the sound picture. And last but not least, to eliminate all other types of noise. To go with the 6-1 headers and even a 550 center and stock rear exhaust or possibly your HGTC mufflers will be great I am sure. Each to their own liking, but in my opinion, the silent exhaust of these cars are both a «problem» as you never get to hear them sing beautifully (except at wide open on the Autobahn at 300+}, but it is also their «strength» because they make the cars a bit more refined and less vulgar. Today’s models are et least twice as loud, and more fun. But also with the Manettino button, they can also be quite silent even under medium hard accelleration. To make it very loud takes the refinement away in my opinion. The question is also how hard you step on the gas for normal driving. It can also be a good thing if the car is somewhat louder than stock, so people can hear you in tunnels before you come along at a much higher speed, but that is not at all the same thing as having a mega loud car which can give old drivers a heart attack while you pass at 7000 rpm. I am after a good compromise where I can travel far at high speeds without being tired and I want absolutely no drone at all! And at the same time, I want to hear the great sound from the V12 so I don’t have to run fast all the time to enjoy my car. I have considdered going to no catalyzers on my 550 and still use the OEM mid + my Fuchs valved mufflers. Why? To get more «precise» sound of twelve cylinders. But after this last trip through Europe, I think it will be too loud and reduce the quality of the sound. That is why I wanted to hear Daniel (DZ-96)’s car live before changing put the Hyperflow and have no cats. The thing is that the sound these headers make, will completely change the quality of the sound regardless of which exhaust components that you put behind them... It is just different. In my opinion, the sound has more quality in it the less noise you get out of the rear. So I lean towards having the 6-1 myself... :) When I manually opened and closed my valves at idle when I got the Hyperflow cats on, I could actually hear more sound from the front of the car at idle when the valves were closed. Not because the mufflers were quieter, but my theory is that when you close the valve, the pressure inside the catalyzer become higher and they sound more in the engine compartment because of this. I once had a ride in a FF with Novitec exhaust with valves. It had a unique sound and the flaps opened early. That did a bit strange thing. Because when going off of the throttle, the valves closed and the sound moved from the rear to the front! Might be the cats that made this sound. It was giving a unique sound experience! That is why I want a Fuchs exhaust controller which can be either set to open/close at a set rpm level or a set throttle opening. So you can get this back and forth sound effect. When is your car ready with the new headers?? :) It will sound perfect with the HGTC mufflers. They are not open straight through are they?

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- No, mine will still have operational bypass valves with one of Fabio's manual overrides.

F456M likes this.
  14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yes you have to! So nice to be able to control it :)

15. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Controlling the exhaust valves manual with a remote, is forbidden in Germany.

So I have no valves.
    :)

Daniel

16. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Some more days, then picking up the 599 6-1 headers.

Daniel

F456M likes this.
  17. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I just remembered, I purchased my Supersprint x-pipe earlier this summer for a great deal from Turner Motorsport:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-354681-tms354681/

Personally I would get Fabio’s headers, cats/no cats per your preference, Supersprint x-pipe, and Fabio’s valved mufflers. That is my eventual goal, and should make a smooth, full sound that whines like an F1 car up top. Similar to a newer fcar like an F12 or 812S, but much much louder. Then a quiet mode for night/road trips.

Ferrari55whoa and F456M like this.
  18. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Fabio's exhaust is comfortable for cross country drives with the valve open or closed. There's no droning at any point from my experience. I have his full exhaust though from headers to tips.

ralfabco, NE550 and F456M like this.