Ferrari parts diagrams | FerrariChat

Ferrari parts diagrams

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by johnk..., Sep 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I've been informed by a friend that Ferrari has given a cease and desist order to parts sellers like Ricambi to stop web publishing parts diagrams. You will see that they are no longer present on the Ricambi site and Daniel has suggested that others will soon follow. Perhaps it's time to flood Ferrari with emails about the situation. Or maybe post on Facebook, tweeter etc. Maybe FCA members should get involved. This is BS from Ferrari.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-happened-to-ricambi.628939/

tres55 likes this.
  2. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

No molto bene....

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Of course it is, but do you think Ferrari gives a ****?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Any way to save a copy of some of the models ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I went to Tom Vail's ALL FERRARI Parts. He has most diagrams in a format with the part numbers that can be printed. I made PDF files for my 355 and 308. Here is a sample of what I generated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

andrejwolk1975 and Ray Smith like this.
  6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Maybe it's just a copyright issue. There is no new money in this for Ferrari. Forcing people with older cars to go to a Dealer to buy parts is not much of a profit strategy. It doesn't help their brand image and certainly will be met with owner disdain. The only thing I can think of is they are charging others for the information and some were getting it for free.

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Seems counterproductive to do this.

2020 has not been good for Ferrari.

Boomhauer and Texas Forever like this.
  8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Whilst I see there may be a copyright issue this feels rather short sighted if one wishes to retain independent parts supply and ensure a long tail of historic car viability

The UK Penske owned official supplier has retained its parts diagrams so far https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That is BS. If Ferrari want to alienate customers that’s one way to do it!!!

Still, do what we do in the UK and use Ferrariparts.co.uk to find your part numbers and availability; then shop around!

10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    While I regret that the diagrams are no longer available on-line, those mechanical drawings are copyrighted material and the copyright holder has every right under US law to enforce their copyright. I do not know whether Ferrari had offered to allow their use with permission for a fee or not but the bottom line is the drawings are their intellectual property.

As a photographer I am acutely aware of the illegal use of copyrighted material. I have had to pay attorneys to issue cease and desist orders to people who tried to use my work without permission or compensation. In some of the cases, had they asked prior to misappropriating my work I might have given permission. But to just blithely use someone else's work, especially for profit is not right.

We accuse the Chinese of doing this so it's hypocritical not to side with Ferrari on this issue.

If Ferrari's fee for use is not exorbitant it might be worth it to purchase a license to use. Ferrari might even be flexible on compensation since the parts sellers buy their parts from Ferrari, and produce items Ferrari no longer stocks or manufactures.

But any decent lawyer will tell you that you must object to any and all illegal use or the copyright becomes useless.

Capitalists should be okay with this.

TTR and Gary Sandberg like this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #11 johnk..., Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Yes, they have the right. But on the other hand they chose not to claim copyright protection for as long as places like Ricambi, T Rutlands, All Ferrari parts (Tom Vail, used to be Denis McCane), etc. have had web sites. That they suddenly chose to enforce their copyright is there a motive here that is beyond copyright violation. It's bad PR to say the least. Also, according to my source, there is no offer to allow use for a fee, simply a stop and desist order. The question that remains to be answered is how wide the order is. Will Algor have to take them down? Will Maranello Classics have to as well? We'll see as time goes by.

The other hypothetical issue I wonder about is that because Ferrari did not enforce the copyright for such a long period of time, in spite of knowing about it, could the various parts vendors file a class action, or individually, on the basis that the copyright is void.

On the other hand,

Solid State likes this.
  12. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    If you are referring to Algar, they are an authorized Ferrari dealer and it's more than likely that they have permission to use those drawings as part of their dealership franchise.

As to the differing opinions vis-a-vis protecting IP rights, that's something that is up to a trier of fact, i.e. a judge or a jury.

I think Ferrari would be wise to protect their IP by requiring a nominal fee for use of material such as parts diagrams, which ultimately lead to sales of Ferrari parts which don't grow on trees, but must be acquired from Ferrari.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not as though these third-party entities are charging bargain-basement prices for these parts. Hell, even the Chinese pirates are gouging, taking advantage of the Ferrari tax.

IMHO, this looks like a ploy by their attorneys to generate billable hours. Because, as you point out, the entities affected have been in business for quite some time before I joined this august body as I only purchased my 430 in May.

Ray

13. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Man that sucks! I had a 328 for 15 years and I now have a 348 that I've had for five years neither car has ever been to a shop and in large part because of Ricambi Parts and diagrams and this website I've been able to do every repair that has come my way. I wish there was a heads-up so that I could have gone and downloaded and printed download a printed each diagram.

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Oh you're one of them...:rolleyes:

Not an issue with politics, it's an issue with customer service. You think Ferrari doesn't make any money off of Ricambi? C'mon man, get your head out.....

tres55 likes this.
  15. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Capitalism is an economic system. Intellectual property is capital, it's a factor of production. Ferrari has every right to protect their IP.

Odd to see that's the only sentence you quoted in a lengthy post.

16. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You can go to any site that still have diagrams and save the pages. You will be able to view them off line or if those pages are taken off the site. Set up a folder for the diagrams you want, go to the page with a diagram and save it to that folder by clicking <control S>, save to named folder.
    You will see two files saved, one is the web page.

I just saved all the 550 diagrams on T Rutland's site so now I can view any of the pages on or off line even if Rutlands take them down. .

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As they say..the internet is forever. The diagrams will always be out there one way or another. Download as you find them. I'm doing it..I have one specific computer for all my Ferrari documents..no other use then that.

78bonanza likes this.
  18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I remember when their lawyers put Ferraridatabase.com out of business. It was a great resource.

mwr4440 and Steve Magnusson like this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sorry but that's just BS at this point. Its been in the public domain long enough for buyers to have relied on the availability of such information to drive purchase decisions. Another toxic side effect of public company ownership.

20. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Could this be a first step until they stop selling OEM parts to independent workshops and end customers - effectively forcing us to do all our maintenance work through their official (overpriced) dealers?

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There is a law called the "right to repair act" they cannot stop people outside the delaet network for repairing thier own cars/object. Manufactures must provide repair information to the aftermarket. However, it does not put a price cap on that information.

tres55 likes this.