Ton Shaughnessey once called "King of the Toasted Ponies" | FerrariChat

Ton Shaughnessey once called "King of the Toasted Ponies"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bitzman, Sep 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Ran into Tom Shaughnessey (I think when I first met him it was spelled in the true Irish version, O'Shaughnessey) the other day in San Clemente, California at Cars 'n Coffee and he said he is now living in New Hampshire with "ten or eleven cars, but nothing for sale." I like to hear about his barn finds but only know a couple. I am most interested in hearing tales on how he first came across a great car, not in what happened afterward. The fun is in the finding. I am completing a novel about an exotic car hunter, like to know what separates the lucky ones from the guys like me who don't have nearly so dramatic stories. Here's a few cars I read Tom barn found. Any others?

--a 212 Europa Cabriolet . The car had by the late 1960s, migrated to the Detroit area, where its engine was replaced with a Corvette V8. In 1972, a car enthusiast spotted the Ferrari at a swap meet, paid $600 for it, and parked it in his garage in Grand Blanc, MI, where it remained hidden until 2011. Somehow Tom found it.

-GT40 At a car show in Chino , CA Tom and his son were showing a GT40 when a guy walked up to Tom's son and said "I got one of those" and his son did not say "Yah, a replica by who?" but instead asked the SN, was told a real number and Tom ended up with the car, chassis P/1067)

-1952 Ferrari 340 America Spider chassis in 2006 in a Frankfort, Illinois, garage sale. The sale was on eBay and Shaughnessy bought it for $26,912—less than one percent of the car’s estimated restored value. He was hoping nobody else would recognize what a treasure it was and scored the winning bid.

-250 Europa , chassis 0313 EU owned by Philip Stanton of Los Angeles, who sold the car to Ferrari of Los Gatos in 1976. It was purchased there later that year by Constantine Baksheef and Alec Sokoloff of Palo Alto. Sometime thereafter, the 250 Europa was taken off the road, but it would remain in California. It was discovered in 2003 by Tom Shaughnessy but I haven't heard how.

- 375 America 0337AL,Vignale bodied This "discovery" was on a TV show called something like Barn Find Hunters, Tom accompanied by Freeman Thomas, a famous car designer, and the old codger who owned the Ferrari smiling as Tom pulled the dusty old car out of the barn...each thinking they were coming out ahead on the deal

So hope to hear more how-he-found-it stories as now it appears he's publicity shy (maybe he showed up at some places and the first words he was greeted with were "Oh, you're the fella I saw on TV...."

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Tom is a wonderful guy and I have always enjoyed spending time with him. His ability to locate barn finds are very much a skill honed from years of hanging around cars and owners. Tom is an excellent listener and has an incredible memory. He understands the psychology of collectible things and has been successful because he is an enthusiast first.

Let's not forget dealing in old cars and parts is how Tom earns his living. It is not a side deal for him and it is very hard for an 'amateur' to be introduced to barn finds when they spend their days doing something else. Regardless when he does unearth a gem it is always fun to hear about.

LARRYH and Texas Forever like this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I think we will hear that he takes meticulous notes (maybe out of sight, after a conversation) so later on he can refer to a note he took 10 years ago. I was reminded of my failure to do this in September, 2020, at a Malibu Cars 'n Coffee when a guy drove by me in a gullwing that I met in '65. Maybe if I would have kept in contact with him sometime in the last 50 years he would have clued me in on a car. And oh the guy Tom met in Chino was an LA fireman I met in the '70s who would drive it to the Shelby Club meet. I asked him every time I saw him if it was for sale but Tom met him kust when he was ready...

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It’s not always about the notes you take or the serial numbers you remember.

sometimes it is about knowing “how” to look.
    Then you realize the playing field is not level :)

LARRYH, ScottS and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I suppose it's about knowing how to ask to buy the car, as well. For many people who've owned something a long time, it's very difficult to part with it.

Ak Jim likes this.
  6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    When I was a much less successful barn finder, I would travel to the car owner's house (travel free because of a marry-me-fly-free connection) and though i only talked to the car owner perhaps months and vaguely said "If I ever get out there I'll look you up" I would appear with a Cashier's Check (from some client) and say "Let's go to the bank and see if they will cash this." That way the word "sell" never came up. Their mind focused only on the check. One flaw though was if the car was worth less than the check, There was a Bizzarrini, alloy body, but parked outside in Ohio several winters. I think it was rusty underneath but I still paid the 30K check. Nowadays it would be worth it, you could buy a used Rivolta and pit that underneath. And the owner was such a local loser even the bank president couldn't believe anybody would give him 30K. Summing up, the cashier's check got around that awkward conversation of "what do you want for it?" Sort of like not asking a lady if she'll marry you but skipping to "And here's two tickets to Hawaii for our honeymoon."

Julia, Texas Forever and Nuvolari like this.
  7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I remember several years back Tom S. bought a alloy body 275 GTB that looked like a barn find but the reality is lots of people knew about the car and were chasing the owner to buy it. Tom told me he was able to buy the car because he offered good money for it rather than try to steal it like everyone else did. As it turned out the car went a little viral online and lets say it did very well at auction.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tom’s motto is, “See it, buy it.”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ScottS likes this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    He’s looking bing in NH now?

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    One of Tom Cotter's ("The Barn Find Hunter") books has a chapter that lays out this find in greater detail; it's a great story. All Tom S. did was pay attention and see what anyone else could have seen, had they bothered to look/ask.

I don't know Tom Shaughnessey other than by reputation in the Ferrari world, but glad to hear he has relocated to NH. Hope to meet him someday.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Didn’t he find a treasure on eBay a few year ago? A bare chassis misidentified by the seller, I think.

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Post #1, 3rd item?

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe