Portofino facelift - A new journey begins | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Portofino facelift - A new journey begins

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by coolhandshin, Sep 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Was expecting more for the PF. The number of buyers who will take this car to the limit as quoted in the video, are few. Very few.

They would have been better off spending R&D upgrading the interior.

2. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Information from my dealer and one other source obviously incorrect. What an underperformance....

3. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    Where to publish?

4. Francis Begbie

Sep 9, 2020
    So does this count as one of the two new models Ferrari were going to announce before the end of the year?

I'm a bit disappointed if so. I was excited to see two new models.

Thelovelyrock18 likes this.
  5. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Indeed the Portofino is not a drivers car per se it’s a cruiser intended for a different demographic the interior now really feels quite old compared to the competition

Thelovelyrock18 and Florida Joe like this.
  6. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    #58 F140C, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    More or less the same treatment the California got when the T model was launched, didn't expect big changes at all in terms of looks/interiors..and I'm glad they kept the Portofino headlights, prefer them over the Roma's.

Edit: now that I think about it, there were more design changes in between, but still didn't expect any revolution..

NZCREW likes this.
  7. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So for me...
    I love the Roma but would never be a buyer because I only buy drop top sports cars. Also I prefer the analog gauges and classic look Porto interior vs the Roma interior which reminds of the C8. Love the 620 HP and 8 speed DCT and lastly I like the small tweaks to the body. They key to why its not changed is mentioned in the video it sells and its a huge success for Ferrari. "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

8. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I agree with you. Only want to buy a drop top car and the Roma just does not fit into that one. I like where they are going with the updates to the Portofino.

9. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    So it’s basically the same car but will sound worse due to GPF? If not for the new euro emissions regulations, I bet this car never comes out.

This is like if they renamed the F40 to the F40M when they started requiring cats in 1990.

Marcel Massini, rocketman and day355 like this.
  10. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Maggio23 and isot like this.
  11. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    The PF may not be broke but the interior looks dated compared to others. "If you are not moving forward, then you are falling behind"

Will be interesting to watch their sales numbers.

12. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Should have killed it and dropped a Roma Aperta/Spider with a cloth top, could have called it Como or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perrinnation and 500tr like this.
  13. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    #68 SilverLeaf, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    That's pretty much it:

- Approx 28 hp increase (in a 488 Pista/Roma derived engine)
    - Stradale 90 derived 8 speed double clutch gearbox (20% smaller and lighter, resulting in slightly lower weight and a lower center of gravity)
    - 35% more torque (which is huge!)
    - shorter gearing in 1st and 2nd gears for better off the line performance
    - 5 mode manettino, including race mode
    - slightly more aggressive front and rear faschias

A little disappointing overall, though I personally like all of the individual changes. Still...if the progression from the original California to the California 30 to the California T over its 9 year production run is a guide, we'll see a more substantial mid-cycle re-design next year.

Higher-res photos and a new video here: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/2021-ferrari-portofino-m-brings-more-power-and-tech-to-entry-level-convertible/

There's an interesting mention in the Carscoops article that merits confirmation: "...Adding the letter ‘M’ to the name does not mean the old Portofino gets to continue: the Portofino M facelift effectively replaces it..."

If that's true, all Portofinos built from now on until the mid-cycle update will be M models, and we won't have to pay a stupid-high premium to get the Modificato edition. That would make me very happy.

Maggio23, coolhandshin and 456-boy like this.
  14. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
  15. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Agree! And also the front. I never liked the front air scoops they were too small for the rest of the face and fell into the body work too quickly. The new scoops are larger and better sculpted. They effectively fix the front end of the design for me:

Attached Files:

Maggio23, uhn2000 and SVCalifornia like this.
  16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    it's a Portofino restyling and (electronic + mechanical) upgrade: what did you think, that a small factory like Ferrari can introduce two 100% brand new models every year?

Portofino already was a great car: there was no necessity of a big change and the upgrade it's exactly what expected.

Ciao

uhn2000, SLViper1, Avia11 and 4 others like this.
  17. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed. The face lifted Portofino is a fine vehicle...thats maybe 2 years too late. The Roma seems to be SCREAMING to have a silky drop top version.

The PF should have gotten an updated interior as well to bring it further forward. But as it is the updates are nice. Not terribly different, but nice.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Florida Joe likes this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think a lot of people assumed they would just take the interior from the Roma, but, this would be too close. They seem to know what they are doing, lets get some time behind the wheel and see what we think of it. I think they did what they needed to do for this model. Looks sharp.

Maggio23 and uhn2000 like this.
  19. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    To me it looks exactly the same as before.... No bad thing to be honest as the Portofino is a stunner to begin with.