360 A/C Recharge - won't take freon. | FerrariChat

360 A/C Recharge - won't take freon.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Neilg, Sep 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Guys, am hoping someone can help - I have a 2003 360 Modena USA Model and just changed dehydrator unit since the a/c when checked with manifold gauges indicated extremely low on Freon, ended up evac the system changed the dehydrator then when adding R134A it would not take any more than 5 oz of R134a Freon. Low side very high at 85psi, high side at 175 psi at 80 deg ambient temp - could hear compressor clicking on but it is original so 17 years old. I always thought if both low and high ports were equal reading that meant compressor was shot. Inside vent temp was 89 deg just blowing warm air -
    Any thoughts?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    First off check that the condenser fan is cutting in. The compressor is working otherwise you would have no diff in suct and discharge pressure. Expansion valve is working otherwise you would have very low suct pressure.
    When you are adding freon do you have to short out the LP switch at the drier ? Your readings make me ask if u have too much gas in system ?

4. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Low side should be about 45 psi.

5. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks all - definitely not overfilled as I pulled a vacuum on the system til completely empty then monitored manifold gauges for 1hr no leaks as gauges stayed solid..the compressor clutch was making a clanking sound when engaging believe I am going to pull the compressor out and send out for a rebuild as it has never been done - car has 14400 miles on the odometer...

6. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Forgive my ignorance but if low/high side are ~ same pressure, how do you get expansion to create cooling?

Also, don’t AC chargers (Autozone type) have a colored gauge....yellow low charge, green Ok, red high....the green mid point is about 45 psi.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You will get equal pressures when the system is off, ie the compressor not running. With the ac off the high and low pressures will equalize in the pipework. When the compressor starts it reduces the suction side and the discharge pressure increases. When the compressor is running, it supplies high pressure gas to the condenser, where it is condensed to a liquid at the same pressure . This high pressure liquid is supplied to the expansion valve where it expands to a chilled gas at a lower pressure. ie the suction pressure at the compressor. Think of the expansion valve like a CO2 fire extinguisher discharging its white gas.

8. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Thank you. Good explanation.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am no expert but the compressing a gas will cause a phase change to liquid and add heat. I thought that the liquid goes to the condenser and is cooled, then expands. Either way, the net effect is the same. Expansion absorbs energy so it cools.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The compressor will compress gas, which adds heat due to the compression process. You then remove the heat in the condenser where the gas changes state to a high pressure liquid. You then pass the hp liquid through the expansion valve where it changes state to a low pressure gas, dropping it temp in the process. Think of a CO2 fire extinguisher. HP is the pressure in the cylinder and LP is the atmospheric pressure it discharges into.

11. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Have not yet taken off compressor- I was only able to add 4 oz of R134A then it would take no more - vacuumed the system entirely before introducing R134A as gauge was reading 30 in Hg and holding vacuum steady for over an hour so believe no leak - compressor clutch does kick in but I can’t get more than 4 oz added and it needs 1.36 lbs full! The low side reads 80 and high side reads 145 but it look forever for high side to rise to that pressure- is this indicative of a weak compressor? The system was nearly empty when I began this effort it has not had any service in 17 yes given it is 2003 model- I changed out the dehydrator prior to trying to add R134A - is there any quick checks anyone knows of to determine what component in the system would not allow addition of R134A? Very confusing...

12. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Guys, took off the AC compressor today (Delphi 1290 model) - please take a look at attached pic - there is a whitish material which sprayed much of the left rear inner engine wall - only source I can determine it was from the compressor - do not know if this is what refrigerant with oil looks like? Wanted other's thoughts - getting ready to send it out for inspection/rebuild at Polar Bear Inc in Ft. Lauderdale - the second time I tried adding R134a it would not take ANYTHING and compressor clutch never engaged - with it off it spins freely and measured the coil was 3.8 Ohms - strange as when I had the manifold gauges on the system no indication of any leaks as it held 30 in Hg for over an hour solid...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check that the low pressure switch at the filter drier is operating correctly. If it thinks the system has lack of gas it will stop the compressor cutting in. You might have to bypass it to charge the system. Only 2 wires so either short them or open circuit.

14. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks! Although did not bypass the pressure switch I ordered one from Scuderia Auto Parts and also the Bosch compressor relay - still interesting what the whitish material that splashed along inner left side engine bay is - it does not wipe off almost like it has permanently affixed to the inner engine bay liner...going to send out the compressor tomorrow to get it checked out...

15. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Let's be really clear about something.....if the clutch is not engaged the system is not working. There is no way to tell how much freon is in the system because if the clutch does not engage......the static pressure (off) is completely irrelevant.

As to why your clutch does not engage....it is likely an electrical issue with a fuse, pressure switch or a wire. At this point, I would be concerned you are doing more harm than good since you really don't have the tools/knowledge to diagnose the issue. Why don't you take it to a shop that can properly evacuate the system and reload it? They have the equipment to check for leaks which will be a lot cheaper than rebuilding a compressor which may not need rebuilding. They can quickly determine the root cause.

It is your car and your choice. I am HVAC licensed from Commercial, Automotive and Residential and more automotive compressors have died from Autozone overcharging than any other cause.

Penzinger and Skidkid like this.