430 - California-legal exhaust manifold? | FerrariChat

430 California-legal exhaust manifold?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ray Smith, Sep 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Do any 430 owners who live in California, and have their 430 registered with the California DMV have aftermarket headers? If so, do they pass emissions testing? And if so, what brand are you using?

Thank you.

Ray

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I don't believe any are CARB certified, there was one but can't remember who. There are cars in CA with headers and many pass their smog. BUT that doesn't mean they are legal nor does it mean that they will not flag your car at some point and fine you for breaking the emissions laws. SO, you will get a lot of "sure ours work" but if you check they are all listed "for offroad use only" and they don't have a CARB certification number on them. From there it is your choice of what risks to take. NOTE: all of this ignores the CEL issues.

3. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Can't speak specifically to CARB regulations, however, I purchased an iPE Innotech full exhaust system with 200 cell cats and have never had any resulting CELs. Easily passed Arizona's emission test. Innotech tends to be expensive, but I personally think the sound is a huge improvement over stock and drove to an event with my non-car fancier wife 4 hrs away with no complaints of loud droning (remote valves closed). With the valves open, I think it's a bit loud, but then the remote valve control gives you the option of being heard as well as being seen when you want that effect I guess. Of course, everyone has their opinion on what sounds best for the 430. I recently saw a post commenting that Innotech has quality issues with cracked welds - I researched brands extensively for a year and never saw or experienced any indication of quality issues with iPE.

4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    California emissions testing is more stringent than that of Arizona.

But thanks for the tip about iPE. I'll research them.

Ray

5. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    That may be an understatement, however, if you at least are not throwing CELs you might be at a relatively good starting point. Other manufacturers for whatever reason seem to experience CELs with some frequency.

6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Ray, I'm running Fabspeed headers with O2 extenders and a Fuchs exhaust. No CEL and passed California smog. However, visual inspection (depending on who you get) can be a risk.

7. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    That's why I want the black ones, not chrome "Hey look at me!".

As long as when the tech puts the probe in the tailpipe it doesn't start spewing pollutants I'm cool. Nobody knows what's stock on these cars, including me.

What is an "O2 extender"?

Thanks bro...

Ray

8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Where did you buy the Fuchs exhaust and what does it cost? His web site does not have prices.

Thanks again,

Ray

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    No more probes in the tailpipe. They hook up to the OBD port to see if there are any CELs and also do a visual inspection. The OEM headers have precats. Aftermarket headers don't have precats but have a bunghole for the O2 sensors. Attach mini cats with the extenders to the bunghole to help prevent throwing a CEL. Here is more detail below and I will PM you with who helped me out with all of this.

https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-90-degree-o2-spacers-with-catalytic-converters-pair/

10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

Thank you, sir.

That is very helpful.

Ray

11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    What about using 430 challenge exhaust manifolds? They look stock, but don't have the internal catalytic converter so are way cheaper and less restrictive. I believe someone here has already done that.

You could always and get the tube-style headers. They look stock as well but are not the cheapest solution as they are around $7000, but they have built in heat shields just like OEM.

12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    If that's the case, couldn't you theoretically reflash the ecus with a tune that includes not triggering a CEL for emissions related things? I'll be doing that on my 360 once I have all of the exhaust pieces.

13. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Sorry for the double post, but the 1999 and challenge stradale 360s had no precats and there are bunches in California. I think you'll be fine.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes but I hear that they are doing or at least considering doing check sum tests so a reflash shows. And most flashes, just disable the CEL so you can have issues and simply not know.

As to your second point. The '99 is notorious because it can not set all of the monitors. There is a new ECU program that can fix it but once your car is flagged you face continued scrutiny. AND just because the 99 didn't have the precat doesn't mean that it will pass on a later car. The lack of air rails would be obvious to even a casual inspection.

Need4Spd likes this.