Thoughts about the '09 - '13 ZR1? | FerrariChat

Thoughts about the '09 - '13 ZR1?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by HOF Ferrari, Sep 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I'm thinking about added a ZR1 to my collection, I've had Corvettes before but never a ZR1. Any tips, thoughts etc when looking?

2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I had a 2012 Centennial ZR1 for a couple of years and tracked it 3 times at Texas World Speedway prior to its closing. Took it on one road trip up to Memphis and a lot of weekend drives. Prior to it, my corvette experience was '91 convertible, '92 ZR1, '93 ZR1 and '02 Z06. The car in question is a blast to drive and easy to live with. The most impressive thing about it was braking. It still holds the record at 92ft 60-0 for one of the mags. That said, its a C6 on steriods. Up until I got this car I was one of those that got tired of hearing everyone complain about the interior. It is an issue if you have the means and desire to buy another $100k car. I know they are a lot cheaper now but so are other cars that were that price back then too. The 3ZR1 interior is the best looking but its prone to shrinking in the corners of the windshield, Had to replace mine. The stereo/nav is HORRIBLE. The seats '12 and '13 are better than '09-'11 but not by much. Leather quality is questionable, is it really leather or some man-made mix. The carbon fiber splitters look cool but you scrape a lot and ding them up. Taking it off makes the car look very different so you either live with it or don't care about looks. The headlight covers are prone to fading. Last is the battery is a PIA to replace. Other than that, when going across the start/finish at full song which was about 160mph for me into turn 1 and dropping down to 70mph makes you forget everything else. This is about the only time I got to use all of the car otherwise it was like driving a C6 for the most part not that that is a bad thing. Go for it. Worse thing that can happen is you sell it.

thecarreaper likes this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #3 BJK, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    $118,500 new (C7 ZR1 > $122k - $141k)

4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Even though the car is at best 7 years old (and worst, 11 years old), it is still an amazing creature. All the standard C6 complaints are in place and don't need to be recited again. BUT, depending on what else is in one's garage, this will be THE fastest (or close) car you own. They handle beautifully, have a MANUAL transmission, and in the end it's a Chevrolet. Maintenance costs are low, with the biggest expense being tires. As long as you're not tracking it, the CCB's are good for a long time. There are plenty (relatively speaking) of cars out there, with low miles (Corvette miles, not Ferrari miles o_O)

PS. If the interior bugs anyone that bad, for $7K, you can make it very nice inside.

flash32 likes this.
  5. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Thanks for the opinions...now I just need to find the right car, leaning towards '12 or '13 because of the rarity.

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    We had a 2009 for a year, and had a blast with it. Crazy acceleration and sound, and liked the remote that opened or closed the exhaust as needed. We never had one issue with it, but after 30-45 minutes of driving, I couldn't get comfortable in the seats.

For a car you can pick up in the $50-60 range, it's a great deal.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    You should look for a 2012/2013. The seats were redesigned for 2012 and they are much better than the pre-2012 seats...still not great but definitely a big improvement.

8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The C6 Z cars have the best bodies of the modern Corvettes. Personally I would go for a Z06, fix the heads and do some mods while in there so it can rev to you heart's desire.
    ZR1 is a monster and they are even less common than the Z06, so long term it's a good buy. Bare carbon roof looks cool as does the clear hood.

The only reason I've not owned either, I always end up buying a Viper instead.

9. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I have a 13 ZR1 and 08 Z06. They are great cars on the street and track. They are my favorite cars.

10. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    So I think I've narrowed down my search

2012 or 2013 ZR1 with 3ZR

Supersonic Blue
    Crystal Red
    Night Race Blue

Miles under 20k
    perfect shape, clean carfax

Let me know if you see one

I consistently am looking on Autotrader, Cars.com, Manheim, Bringatrailer, etc but maybe someone knows an owner thats ready to sell.

Gh21631 likes this.
  11. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Go post on the corvetteforum under C6 for sale section.

12. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG

Thanks for the idea....just did so !

13. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Have you seen this one? Not the exact red you want but checks everything else off.https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/822460011/overview/

14. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Yes, I have seen that one.... Thanks