24 Heures du Mans 2020 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

24 Heures du Mans 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, Feb 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Designed by Bob Riley, of Riley & Scott fame. Although I think he borrowed heavily from McLaren.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The 500 is so big, that it overshadows the series. So fans are more likely to know who won the race, and not the series. This is why CART had no chance against the IRL.

Interestingly, F1 is just the opposite. No single race overshadows the rest. So fans know who the series champion is, rather than who won Monaco, etc.

Boomhauer and lorenzobandini like this.
  3. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Le Mans behind closed doors...

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    WEC FIA has to do what they need to do..I will still be watching the 24hrs...maybe a quick nap...will great excitement. I am a fan throughout

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Race week and it is eerily quiet because most media got their passes cancelled so reporting will be thin on the ground...practice is supposed to start tomorrow but you would not know it...not one mention in French media here yet... Pirro will be grand marshall and Tavares president of peugeot (who usually races at le Mans Classic) will give the start (a prelude to Peugeot coming back in a couple of years).

I bet some drivers coming from outside Europe will have trouble arriving due to Covid restrictions even though they all planned their travels as best they could.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Friends team from Philippines stayed in Europe after Spa.LMP2

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    With 4 Ferraris in GTE Pro and 12 more in GTE Am, I expect Ferrari to win both classes! Nothing less will be acceptable! :mad:

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It always comes down to how the BOP shakes out.

Ferrari has been screwed by the ACO's BOP and, on the other hand, have benefitted from it
    as well.

BHW

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It might be the record number of Ferraris at the start, beating the previous mark from the early sixties...

French weekly racing magazine Auto Hebdo is inaugurating a video stream with commentators such as Philippe Alliot who was on the podium with the 905 Peugeots back then, here is the link, all times local i.e. 6 hours ahead of US east coast. First segment at 6.15 PM today. Not sure if watchable from outside France.

https://www.autohebdo.fr/wec/actualites/24-heures-du-mans-2020-la-web-tv-autohebdo-213100.html

A ton of amateur drivers in GT this year, one already hit the wall in a Porker this morning.

10. Interceptor

Interceptor Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    What benefitted?

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Great photo thanks! I support Seb Bourdais' Risi entry:)

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Rooting for WeatherTech and Risi this weekend and anyone but Toyota in LMP1

walnut likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like flag to flag coverage here in the U.S. on the Motor Trend channel.

walnut and 375+ like this.
  15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    TV channel or streaming?

I have MT on my cable (YTTV) package, but don't subscribe to their streaming

16. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    You can get extended coverage on their app, but from my TV listings, it is 24hrs plus of coverage on TV.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yep. Full 24 hours on tv. I just hope it is better than the Eurosport coverage from last year. May need to stream Radio Le Mans instead.

Sharknose and GuyIncognito like this.
  18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That's exactly what I'm here to ask.

Is the move to watch the broadcast on Motor Trend and use Radio Le Mans for commentary?

Heaven help me, I'm getting used to hearing Hindbaugh all these years later.

BHW

Jakuzzi likes this.
  19. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I will give the Motor Trend coverage a chance, but last year was awful. They had no idea what was happening in the race.

Hindy could commentate on paint drying and I would be entertained.

20. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Despite having covered the Corvette Racing Team and Pratt & Miller (I'm in their yearbook) for three years at Le Mans and in the ALMS series, I always liked the Ferraris but could never come close to affording one. I could afford Corvettes: Four of them including a Z06. But I took a lot of photos of the Ferrari entires. The 550 of Prodrive, the Olive Garden 575, and the Risi Competizione 430s. There were more Ferraris from different teams each year at Le Mans but they rarely faired well.

They call it a 24-hour race, but for the crews and media, it's actually a 40-hour session. And it's a grind. Especially in '05 when they had record-setting high temperatures coupled with high humidity. I had shipped over several cases of Gatorade and got ice at the Carr Four in Le Mans town. It helped. We weren't required to wear Nomex that year, but the following year we were required to wear a three-layer suit. I also wore full underwear and a balaclava. I saw burn cases in Vietnam and said no thanks. ALMS always required Nomex if you were going over the wall on pit stops, which I did more often than not. That's where the action and drama occurred.

After doing that for three years I don't think I could ever pay to go and watch a race from the other side of the wall. You see more on TV.

Fingers crossed the AF Corse team cars do well.

Me and the Corvette pit crew: (L-R) Neal Everhart, Rich Eldred (the fueler), Ray Smith, and Steve Hartsell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  22. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020