Stone Guard or Undercoating for front spoiler? | FerrariChat

Stone Guard or Undercoating for front spoiler?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Alex308qv, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm refinishing the underside of the front spoiler of an '85 US-spec QV. I can't tell if the original coating was a stone guard product (like that used on the lower rocker panels) or an undercoating product (like that used on the the frame). Which would be more correct: Wurth Stone Guard Black paint, or Wurth High Build Underbody Underseal? Thanks.

2. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Did a test and answered my question... Stone Guard looks best. Underseal is too thick for anything visble.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's correct, it's paintable stone guard so any "transition line" in paint change like to black or whatever does not necessarily match where the "texture is", if that makes sense.

You see them with it left off the front face, for myself I would want it there under the body color.

Well above the "Black Paint" line....

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Underseal to me is a final coating, after any primer and paint system

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  6. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks, all. My original post wasn’t too clear - I was referring to the black panel on the underside of the spoiler, below the white outline in johnk’s post. It’s quite visible on a 308, especially to short people. I pressed out some shallow depressions (you can unscrew the back of the panel and slip a board in there to do so), filled some small dents, scraped off all of the undercoating that somebody applied, and then finished it with stone guard. It looks excellent. That bottom panel is stainless steel by the way, not carbon steel.

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The answer to your original question depends on how authentic you want to be. If you're simply looking for any protectant then there are a number of solutions, as you mentioned. If you wish the replicate the actual factory material used, it can be acquired. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Link below:

https://www.dinitroldirect.com/product/dinitrol-metallic-spray/

Alex308qv and Rosey like this.
  8. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    any paint or direct application will likely scrape off. There are some new sacrificial laywer products that have come to market since all the carbon fiber splitters came into vogue.

https://sliplo.com/

I haven't used it, no affiliation...

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The black area below the white outline was just undercoated from the factory. No stone guard.