458 - 6k vs 20k miles | FerrariChat

458 6k vs 20k miles

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 45800, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 45800

45800 Rookie

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sah
    Hi

Sold my 15 Huracan few months ago.
    Looking to buy 458 Soon

Option 1

14 yellow /black interior with 20k miles

Option 2

14 white / red interior with 6k miles

both cars have similar specs and the yellow one is 30k USD cheaper

which one would you pick and is the price difference fair enough?

Thanks

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you're gonna drive it def the one with the higher miles.

randkin, TomC9786, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yellow if you are not going to drive it much.

If you keep it for 5 years the others will catch up in mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I would look at the histories of each vehicle an then look at repairs that they might have had in the past.
    Both cars should be on the last year of their 7 year service plans so they both should be up on service (if the previous owner was on top of the annuals).
    Which ever one you choose, you can't make a mistake....
    Let us know which car you pick!

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Specs, history, condition, and then your preference.

6. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    To me, personally, the combination of body/interior color is factor #1, so I would not be considering different combinations.
    Clearly that is not the case for you, so we should consider different parameters:
    Resale I believe it is better for yellow/black than white/red (but it is always a matter of finding the right buyer at the right time).
    Options is again a matter of personal preference/need, but we all know some have more importance in reselling, to the extent of usually being deal breakers.
    Everybody has his own idea about the importance to give to reselling potential, and basically to the compromise to be made on personal taste and wallet in guessing what the next owner would care, as opposed to what WE care. Personally I am not rich enough to completely forget about reselling potential, and I am lucky enough to like things that, by chance, increase resale value (e.g. my favorite combo is red/black) but, for instance, I waited until I found a car with the LED carbon steering wheel and suspensions lift, despite honestly I don't care, just because of resale potential.
    As an engineer I can tell from the technical perspective mileage is equivalent and not significant for both; still it is a matter of resale value, as there are people highly sensitive to mileage on Ferrari's (not me), so it is also a matter of the mileage you plan to add yearly.
    What really matters to me is car and seller histories: as for myself I would never purchase a car with no service book, or with one that is not convincing.
    Assuming, of course, you are granted both cars have no problems.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. 45800

45800 Rookie

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sah
    Thanks all for your feedback.
    i am leaning towards the yellow one. Planning to drive it around 2k miles per year.
    Will take the car to dealership for full check up and will report back.

8. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Good luck with the purchase!!
    I am excited to see pics when you get your car.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    if the yellow one is up to date with services and has been cared for (Ideally you should not be able to tell the diff between a 6k miles and 20k miles car when you look at the interior), i would go for the 20k miles car for sure.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No reason to buy a modern Ferrari with 20k miles when so many are out there with low mileage IMO. If you plan on resale it will be difficult and if you plan to keep then you've missed the best miles the car will ever give.

Sargepug and dustman like this.
  11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That is an interesting theory.

I say that if you buy it at a discount due to the miles then you will sell it at a discount.

And let’s not forget that the payment will be less along the way as the buy in price is less.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its just harder to sell as most exotic buyers have the cash to buy an average or lower mileage example of which there are many to choose from. If money is an issue then I'd skip Ferraris altogether. They are not cheap to own and service.

BLAMPEE and timjen88 like this.
  13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Two women. one is blond and one is brunette. one has 2 exboyfriends and the other one has 7. the one with 7 exes wants to buy just a gucci handbag, but the one with 2 wants a birkin.

Which should should I date/marry? Both are woman, can cook and have great sex in bed.

Do you like blond or brunette? Do you want to spend a 30k for a stupid handbag that only women knows what it even means to have one?

I think you get the point.

F485, Extreme1, thxelon and 2 others like this.
  14. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    From my knowledge and those in car clubs, the 458 is going to be a great investment. Being the last N/A V8, only Schumacher interior design, last Pininfarina design, etc., makes it now and down the road, very desirable. I just bought mine in March w/ 4k on the clock. That being said, I'd go for the lesser mileage, you get it back and then some on the resale. ;)

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Except if he actually drives it, which is what a 458 is made for.

I think we can’t keep telling people to go drive their Ferraris and then tell them to choose the less driven one. I personally would buy condition and spec.

If you buy low miles, you pay a premium and the premium evaporates the minute you drive the car, which is nonsensical as a car is meant to be driven. Sure, it’s a great talking point at parties, but little else.

I’d take a car with more mileage on if the spec appeals to me and history is bulletproof, pay less, drive it and take a lesser hit when reselling. But that’s just me of course.

I used to worry sick about depreciation, until I realized life is short and the depreciation hit is worth every cent of it.

That being said, I agree to the fullest extent as to the 458’s future appreciation potential.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

F485, Spezia, docf and 2 others like this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I bought my 4th 458 (second spider) and I am driving every chance I get, dont care about depreciation (which I think will be next to zero BTW), and even bought a HIGH MILEAGE ferrari at 12k miles! It was my way of ensuring I would drive w/o worrying.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Interestingly one of the first questions I got when I bought Ferraris early on from friends was in regards to mileage. Everyone was conditioned to think this is the most important thing. Clearly they had no clue. If you plan to drive it dont pay a premium on a low mileage car. If the price is negligible then sure.

18. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    I bought a 2015 458 Italia 2 years ago, 7,800 miles, now 11,700m, I love it, don't regret it, enjoy it, and it's been a very solid car, better than anything I've had before.

19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I'm basing on spec, etc. apples to apples. Diving wise, if he is going to drive it 2k a year, then I still think low mileage is better, because when time to sell, it will have that much lower mileage! ;)
    I've owned and still own a number of "toys" like the 458, however, I've never driven one as much as her. Since March, I put an easy 1,200 on her, I'm driving here for sure. It's an incredible machine....

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    drive the damn car forget about the mileage.

Be the eighth boyfriend, do not buy the stupid 30k handbag. It's not like you are marrying her anyway. And if you are really going to marry her anyway, then would you really care how many boyfriend she had before as long as you both truly love each other.

in this case, buy the cheaper car with higher mileage, drive the crap out of it. Then when you sell, you don't have much to depreciate. If you worry about depreciation a lot, then riding a bike is the best idea as almost all cars depreciate.

KC360 FL and Ash Patel like this.
  21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Same here. I’m at 22.000 miles (2011 Italia). About to turn worthless any second now :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Travesty. How dare you degrade all us low mileage non users! Lol.

23. 45800

45800 Rookie

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sah
    Purchased the yellow one with 20k miles.
    Car in great condition.
    Few days later installed S line exhaust with test pipe.
    Sound better than my x Huracan with aftermarket exhaust.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

IloveGT, F485, Andynyc and 1 other person like this.
  24. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Congratulations!!

Looks hot!! She must be super loud now???

May the Horse be with you

25. 45800

45800 Rookie

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sah

Thanks.. it’s louder and better F1 tone than Huracan.

dustman likes this.