Topspeed headers | FerrariChat

Topspeed headers

Discussion in '360/430' started by ttforcefed, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Has anyone cleanly installed a set of topspeed headers with no struggle/modifications? Pls specify 360 vs 430.

2. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a 2007 430 and made the switch from the stock manifolds to Top Speed headers back in May. The price was too good to pass up. Also added Fabspeed blankets.

No struggles or modifications needed. Although I will add that since I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area, I picked up my headers at Too Speed’s shop - and I had to have them bring out 4 different sets until I found a set that were completely flat/smooth at the mounting points.

I did need to add mini cats to stop the CELs/codes. So far, things have been good.

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thanks. My sense is the 430 ones fit better than the 360 ones

4. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I recently bought the 360 headers and (in hindsight, mistakenly) had them shipped to jet hot coating. They arrived yesterday and the middle flanges were 1/8-3/16" off from the outside ones. I had heard from another f-chatter that they had a similar experience and top speed paid to have them decked and assured them this would not happen again. I called explaining the issue and was told I have to install them first. I don't know if you have changed headers before, but it is an absolute migraine. It is obvious they will not fit. Due to the air rail being so close to the flange they cannot be bent. I don't even think it is possible to torque the headers to spec without pulling the engine (if you did, please tell us how). I asked if I was on my own and the guy on the phone said yes. I made a post about it on Instagram simply stating what happened and the page messaged me angrily accusing me of slander. Eventually they offered to swap sets with me if I ship them back (which I cant do after paying for that coating). He never offered to pay for decking or reimburse me anything. Jet hot on the other hand said they felt horrible and will recoat them with a heavy discount despite not being at fault. I asked top speed yesterday to pay for the machine work and the jet hot's discounted price should the coating be heavily damaged and I was left on read. I've heard of other people having success with this product, and aside from the flanges being off, it looks nice, but I will not be buying anything else from them again. Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i can barely put gas in the car so no i didnt do it. my independant who has done hundreds of these was not a happy camper and initially thought we w;d have to send them back. ultimately he was able to get them on. Top Speed feedback was they were shocked because they literally do dozens of these a month with no issues? not sure how that can be. My independant uses fabspeed a bunch and said he has never had an issue like this with the Fabspeeds. at the price we paid for the TS i still think they are worth it.

6. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    There used to be quality control. You are now the tester. You get scrap and can then exchange it and get another part that may also be scrap. The customer normally pays the costs for the return. A very frustrating shopping experience.

7. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    They reached out to me again and agreed to pay for the machining.

brookliner7 likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    any idea how they get something so basic and straightforward wrong?

9. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    It's beyond me. Perhaps the jig is off.

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The essential problem is that many Chinese shops have ZERO quality control. A jig might be manufactured to exacting specs but the uneducated worker uses a sledge hammer to remove parts from it. After a while, the jig becomes so bent as to be unusable but they keep using it.

I bought a press from a well regarded US company that touts their products are "made in the USA". The press was so bad that not one single weld was properly placed. The entire press was off square in every possible dimension. It was obvious that some idiot had used a sledge to pound the pieces into submission, then welded and nicely powder coated. No where in their sales information did they say the press was actually a 100% Chinese import.

I complained to the manufacturer and at first, they blew me off and refused to offer a refund or replacement. Then, I found the email of the CEO in a promotional piece in an industry website, sent him pictures, a video and the conversations with the company staff. The next day, I received a complete refund and an apology from the VP of sales. I still have the piece of junk. I'd wheel it out to the curb for recycling but I'm afraid some idiot would try to use it and probably kill themselves when it exploded under load. It's a testament to total incompetence.

When you buy something made in China, YOU are the quality control agent. You do the final inspection and YOU are left holding the bag when the product either fails or doesn't work at all.

Stealthssfc and vraa like this.
  11. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    4 years ago. No issues what so ever.

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Well getting these headers decked is $120... not a big deal. Just plan to do this if you go w top speed headers.

brookliner7 likes this.
  13. evilruss

evilruss Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Rockford
    I picked up a slightly used set of Topspeed headers that I installed on my 430 last year. They had already been freshly decked but not installed when I bought them, so I didn't face any issues with the install.

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Also noticed they provide thick gaskets w top speed headers prob due to the tolerance issue.

no way I’d run the stock metal ex gaskets w undecked top speed headers. Nothing worse than leaky header sounds.

LARRYH likes this.
  15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So how does this happen?! Lol
    Happy for u

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What do you guys mean when you say decked?

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Decking is to machine them flat. Think using a mill at a fixed height and mill all of the surfaces so they are flush.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    got it. the word my guy used was he had to "torque" them..

19. vmule

vmule Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    Buy with Amex, if they are defective you are protected. Simple as that.

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Torque is generally used to describe tightening the bolts down, not machining the surface of the flange. If they aren't too far out tightening them down will work fine, particularly with ticker gaskets.

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    torquing them is an installation item you torque the header stud to tighten them to spec... but if your header flange is not flat you really need to have them deck it or machine it flat.. but I suspect you use good install guys so they probably know ..

one4torque likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thanks larry - P1 got them on, it was a struggle but they worked.

LARRYH likes this.
  23. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Installed mine a few months back. No issues.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Bewildering

25. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I have had mine for 3 or 4 years....no issues. Had them coated