How did you find & buy your car? | FerrariChat

How did you find & buy your car?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by It's Ross, Sep 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Mine rather found me, I wasn't looking.
    As I will be selling mine to partially fund a bucket list item/dream I want to know what venue to sell in.
    BAT has been suggested, classifieds here of course and E-bay(?). I'm not in any social media but Facebook market place has been suggested as well.
    Where did you buy yours?

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ross,

From what I have seen, the F-chat classifieds and BaT appear to be the best avenues. Both cater to enthusiasts and reach a solid Ferrari audience. I would consider Ebay, ... not for sales per se, but rather as a "marketing" tool given that Ebay reaches such a wide audience all over the World.

Best of luck with the sale and your new bucket list adventure!

Cheers,

Sam

3. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Good morning, I’ve made the decision to start the search for a new to me 400i. I’m stepping into the market now in the hopes of finding a nice example to enjoy as the 400i has always been one my favorites.

What do you have? PM me if interested in sharing what you have.

ANDREW

Il Tifoso likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought my car through Yellow Compass Group (Mike). My car never did make it to the open market. I bought it through Mike, directly from the owner. I suggest you drop him a PM and see what he can offer. Nothing to lose there.

The PPI revealed a few things that needed addressing but otherwise, a smooth transaction.

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    BaT has been rather friendly to 400is lately....

RicSinger likes this.
  6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Ross
    I found mine on eBay but did not do the transaction thru eBay, seller's choice.

Put an ad in FChat as its free I believe to members, but be sure to make a post with link on this forum so all of its members know about it.

Hemmings is the most reputable site for enthusiast car sales. BAT can be wonderful and it can be cruel; I got the cruel side selling a Lotus years ago.
    Ken

7. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #7 It's Ross, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    I will post here soon, detailer is coming tomorrow. I was a paying member for a while but haven't been posting much so will need to re-up.

As far as consigning goes, probably not. Last time I did this the dealer treated my car as his own. A friend caught him displaying it at a car show, without mention it was for sale. Nearly all my interactions with car salesmen have left me with the feeling I need to bathe.

Buyers pay a fee at BAT and the pundits there don't appeal much to me either. I believe my individual car will stand scrutiny but we all know what some folks think of our cars. The BAT spectators will no doubt remind me and I will find it difficult to bite my tongue.
    I also have an old Lincoln MKIV that I'll be trying @ BAT. We'll see how that goes.
    @ Andrew. I sent you a PM a while back

8. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ross, I sold my Carrera 3.2 on BAT about a year ago and, while I had some of the same concerns about the Peanut Gallery there, my experience was very positive all around: pricing went above my expectation and the car went to a very loving home (plus I gained a new car buddy out of it too, so I get to see it regularly).

I think if you take honest pics (would highly encourage a professional photographer - BAT set me up with one), be up front about the good/bad of the car, and be responsive to comments, you should have a good outcome.

Good luck!

Ruben

9. Robert Kindel

Robert Kindel Rookie

Aug 27, 2006
    Katy, Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Kindel
    I was on an Around the World vacation in 1982 and was in London for a week. My wife went shopping by herself and I went walking around looking for a news stand. I found a news stand and bought a couple of car magazines and saw a couple of weekly Cars for Sell printings. I bought one of those also. I went back to the hotel and was reading the magazines and was looking through the Cars for Sell and spotted an add for a 1975 Ferrari 365 GT 4 2+2, Red, RHD with less than 25.000 kilometers. It was listed for 5995 British pounds. I think the exchange rate at that time was 1.63 Dollars per pound. So, I called and it was available and went to look at it the next day. It was great. I bought it. I had them keep it in storage for me for three months before I could come pick-it up and then drive to Europe where I kept the car for two years before bringing it home to Texas in 1984. The most fun car I have ever owned and one of the few cars that I made money on when I sold it nine years after I bought it.

GT Jones and bjwhite like this.