Accept F8 Order or Keep 458 | FerrariChat

Accept F8 Order or Keep 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Carbonless, Sep 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbonless

Carbonless Rookie

Oct 27, 2019
    San Diego
    I specced out and put a deposit down on an F8 last November as a 40th birthday present to myself as my first Ferrari...a dream of mine since I was a kid. I needed a new daily and bought a BMW M5 just afterwards in November to try and hold me over until my order could be filled. Come July this year, I started getting anxious as I saw others' F8s arrive stateside. I called the dealer and they mentioned that Covid shut things down in Italy and that my order would likely be delayed to the end of the year. Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that the dealer is likely giving away their slots as they come up to people that are previous owners. My car is relatively highly spec at about $385k MSRP so I doubt that they are holding that against me.

Because of the delay, I started looking for a 458 - a car I've wanted since 2010 and that I love because of the great NA sound. The dealer happened to have a 2011 458 come in a couple of days later in almost the exact spec of the F8 that I ordered. It had perfect $14k wheels, aftermarket suspension and a tune - which made a Ferrari warranty impossible unfortunately. I absolutely LOVE the car and drive the hell out of it. I race motorcycles and basically live at the race track 2 weekends per month and have started doing trackdays in the M5 and was thinking about taking the 458/F8 out too. Frankly, the M5 is much more comfortable and is faster than the Ferrari around town and stoplight to stoplight, but the Ferrari is an unmatchable experience to drive with the sound. I really do not think there's much more that an F8 could offer performance-wise that I would be able to use on the street and the sound isn't on-par with the 458.

Given that I do not see myself using the F8 as a daily driver (I plan on keeping the M5 as my daily), I am wondering if it is even worthwhile to keep the F8 reservation and trade in the 458 once it comes. The other option would be to keep the 458 and look out for a good spec used 812....or possibly wait for used F8s to start popping up after the initial depreciation hit is taken. Any thoughts from people that have driven the F8 or been in a similar position?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The F8 is superior to the 458 in every way expect it doesn’t please the sound police. Other than that I’d ge the F8 any day of the week and twice on sundays.

x z8, Lesia44, Drson and 6 others like this.
  3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I know Socal and I differ on this topic, but to me, the 458 is something special. Ok yes the sound is an endless topic. But the drive is so light, nimble and playful. I love to kick the rear tires loose, and it has excellent power to weight ratio and balance.
    I was passenger in my friend’s F8 and it was so incredibly fast, I felt like we were going 80 but we were near double that...couldn’t feel much, just Fast! My old Perf felt this way to me as well, super fast and super smooth. If you like those electrical nannies to exemplify fast and smooth, then get the latest and greatest.
    For me, I’m stuck on previous gen cars that tingle my spine in a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vitamin S., PJxxx, Sargepug and 8 others like this.
  4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you are happy with the 458 performance why not keep it. If you want more performance get the F8. The Car and Driver reviewer said the F8 sounds like you have ear plugs on.

I love the 458 sound and had the dealer pull the vacuum lines to the muffler baffles so they are open all the time. Heaven. :D

Alexcle, rttj777 and Carbonless like this.
  5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #5 GT2goneF, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    That is a very personal decision that only you can answer. I am in a different boat but with the same issue. I placed an order on an F8 as well in March. My order got delayed as well by COVID, as I had an allocation available, not long after that and then it all froze. I too have a HIGHLY SPEC'd F8 ($400k) and I too believed that I was being delayed by my dealerships skipping my allocation to previous owners. And although it can't be proven, I confronted my sales manager on the question and I was reassured that this was not the case (still can't proven it either way). From what I have read (and read, and read and read... and read), the time frame from order/deposit, to allocation, to order acceptance, initiation of build, shipping to delivery delivery has been all over the place. Some people have received their vehicles in a few months (within the same year) and some other 12 months or more. COVID apparently has something to do with it but it isn't everything. I have come to realize that busy dealerships (Newport, Beverly Hills, SD, etc) have higher allocations because they are busier, and exactly because they are busier, your car will take longer; because there are a ton of people ahead of you and I can assure you there is a ton of people behind you as well.

With regards to giving up your F8 and keeping or switching the 458 for a preowned F8/812... It all depends how you feel about it. The 458 is a gorgeous landmark car. It is worth keeping if you can. With that said, you say you drive it pretty hard, so keep in mind that it does not have warranty (not that it matters until it breaks). However, although beautiful in it own right and almost ageless, it isn't as fast or powerful as the F8. The F8 still has room for improvement in sound and performance.The 458 is a car that you picked up but you did not build for yourself. If you don't care about the time you invested into personalizing the F8 and you don't want to wait, then you should give it up and either get the 812 or a preowned F8. I wouldn't, however, count on a "discounted price" unless you wait a few years. You can already see the 458 holding or even gaining value and the 488 coming down, but still over what most would like to pay for them.

Like I said before, I believe renowned/busy dealerships, although more allocations, it translates into more wait times. Ferrari can only build so many cars at a time and I presume they try to be fair with every dealership. I don't think they run like an electoral college system. Luckily my dealership wasn't as "busy" as the other ones and I was able to get mine sooner than if I went to Newport, LA or SD. In Newport their waiting list back at the beginning of 2020 was 1 year to get your allocation and this was before COVID, so I can only imagine what happened to those that had placed an order before me, while waiting in line for their dealership allocation. It unfortunately seems you fell into the same situation, as I know that SD Ferrari is pretty busy as well.

My two cents, if you spent time in building your F8 dream car and you're like me, frequently looking at your build, maybe second guessing whether you should have changed something or added something (never subtract), then wait for it. You already have something to get you by.

Hope this helps

Carbonless likes this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    By all accounts the F8 is a brilliant car and at a bargain price for the looks and performance.
    Ive read the F8 is improved over the poor sounding 488/Pista so that is something to verify.
    You could get a 720s to beat them all at a fraction of a price, and they sound similar.
    I get the draw to try something new, I want to test a F12 also.

Ash Patel, Boomhauer and tekaefixe like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Hum first Ferrari,

Question would you ever buy a Hybrid ? If the answer is no well the F8 will be the LAST chance ever to by a non Hybrid Ferrari. At 40 do you really want to be left with that prospect.

There is nothing better in the car world IMO that specing your own Ferrari and live the days waiting for her. It a fun thing. Experience go to the dealer once a month have a coffee, a cake look at other Ferraris.

If this means nothing to you get a 458 but I wouldn't ever get a mod car. I bet they bought that car very very cheap. When your sick of it you could always by a second hand F8 as the new buying experience means nothing to you.

Next if you don't mind a Hybrid wait until they show LB as the F8 will still be for sale.

FACT IS whether you like it or not after 75 years the F8 will be the last V8 rear engine non hybrid ever to be sold ( unless there is a F8VS :) ) Lose this opportunity to buy new and it will NEVER come back, UNLESS you have Ferrari build your own personal car about 5-6 Million..

GT2goneF likes this.
  8. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Why get a new car if you are happy with the one you have? If owning a specced car is important, there is that. If you are wealthy enough that you are only working for fun, buy them both. But otherwise, you'll always be able to buy an F8 or whatever else when you tire of the 458.

Graz and dustman like this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You'll regret selling that 458...

Ray

10. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    F8 drives so much better than 458.

In the end it is the past and the future. Both are great but F8 wins for me.

Lesia44 and MANDALAY like this.
  11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Having had a 458, 488 and now the 812 without GPF and valves pinned opened, I still really miss my 488. I would advise you to stay with your F-8 order and try to find an F-12 or 812. Then you will have two keepers as the hybrids start to come out. The reviews of people getting their ordered F-8's are very good but would you expect a new purchase to be reviewed harshly? I may be in the minority but once my ordered 488 came in, I did not miss the 458. The two cars I miss greatly are the three pedal F-430 and my 2001 Lamborghini Diablo!

MANDALAY, SoCal to az and GT2goneF like this.
  12. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    My 2 cents worth as a former 488 Spider and 458 Italia owner. I now own an 812 and last week had the chance to track and road test the F8.
    First decide if you want a V8 mid engine or V12 mid front engine car. These are completely different experiences.
    I love my 812 and will drive it to the time when I’m dead or we can’t anymore. It is a simply unique experience every time you climb in and press that red button. It’s like awakening a huge snorting bull with big balls.
    But I have to be honest, I secretly have another lover and that’s the normally aspirated purr of my 458. I regret deeply selling it. At some point before the ticker gives up I want to own one again. There is no other car that I know that simply engages you deeply emotionally like the 458. Sit in the carbon Daytona racing seat at 9000rpm and look back in the side mirror at those unbroken, sleek Pininfarina thighs, the triple exhaust, the huge red engine block, the normally aspirated banshee wail ....it is timeless magnificence.
    The 488 and F8 will leave it for dust and win on every KPI but they are soulless precision weapons of perfection born out of need not love. The F8 is truly exceptional but leaves me completely cold. I didn’t even look back at it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I agree. If I decide to get one more car, it would be the 812...

Thecadster likes this.
  15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The 812 as some have mentioned is probably not a good candidate to thrown into the mix. It shouldn’t be an “OR” candidate.

458 or 488 or F8 is what you should be debating.

12 cylinder front engine GT cruiser is the AND pick.

One can easily bring the 458 to an equal footing with the 488. MPS4s tires and a Braille Li Ion battery brings the 458 to the same level as 488 and adds significantly superior sound and driving pleasure.

Also most prefer the interior design of the 458 over the 488. For me, 458 vs 488, I’d pick 458.

The F8 is more money and as such should be a better car than the 458, which it is.

Choosing between the 488 and the F8, I’d pick the F8.

(I’ve put my money where my mouth is. I’m getting the F8 spider and still keeping my 458 spider.)

x z8 and GT2goneF like this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #16 Gh21631, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Get one, I love this thing. You can drive it every day, no need for the Tesla. You are a sound guy and it doesn't get much better. Mine is slightly lowered and I have the Capristo valve controller. I might replace it with an 812 but honestly dont see the need. The power difference is modest and I really like the looks of the F12.

x z8, Thecadster and RayJohns like this.
  17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Wonderful to hear.

RayJohns likes this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    If you plan keeping your M5 as a daily then buy something that feels special and that really stirs the senses when you take it out for "that drive". F8's strong suit is the looks but as a special occasion sports car it's very light on emotion in comparison to other cars out there. Maybe buy that 458 and run it for a year or so and then re evaluate the market offerings then. The 458 wont lose much in that period.

19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    458 won't lose much?? It seems it is coming back up...People are seeking them out and I have seen some modestly optioned ones going for 220k, while I have seen some 488 with modest or slightly better options in the 250-260k range...

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #20 Shadowfax, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    I meant in the context where there is usually some level of depreciation felt from the use it will see over the period held. But yes generally 458’s appear relatively price stable and not subject to a level of depreciation many other newer cars will likely see.

I think in a year or so out there will be more clarity with general availability and, the direction of prices cars such as F8 will take. Going by history there will always be a good number of very low mileage Ferrari offerings of good spec to choose from at greatly reduced prices.

From what ive seen, high cost exotics rarely get much use even when they have daily drivability. And for this reason alone is why im a strong advocate in buying only high cost cars which really satisfy all the senses and feel super special.

21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I understand. But I wouldn't be counting the 458 out yet on a bargain. If anything, I think the 488 will start depreciating badly and the 458 will be slowly increasing in value. For a 10 year car to be up in the 220k range and the 5 year old younger brother being in the 250k... My bet is on the 458 furhter coming up and the 488 lower, probably below the 458. You have the naturally aspirated classic last of it's kind Berlinetta and the latest V8 turbo NON hybrid/electric nonsense, being followed by a V6 hybrid and sandwiching the middle brother as usual into almost oblivion. However, one ting Ferrari has been and still is very good at is maintaining their brand and market. The 488 will still be a seeked car, but I think it will be the least seeked amongst them all. My guess, can be wrong... Time will tell, probably at the end of the F8 production, we will know. So if I were Warren Buffett, my advise would be, keep your 458m F12, 812, PIstas and F8s, because the world as we know it is over.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spider68 and czlandi like this.
  22. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I feel pretty much the same. Ended up adding an F12 because of the sound. The extra performance of the F8 is largely unuseable for me on streets, so I would much prefer the NA engine’s response and soundtrack.

czlandi and plastique999 like this.
  23. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence

24. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I was in a similar situation last year-waiting for a allocation to a F8 only to be told it would be delayed until 2021 due to the pandemic. I cancelled when I realized that F8s were appearing at dealers and open market. If you are ok with seeing F8s selling for less than MSRP before you receive yours....I would go for the F8. I had a chance to drive one last week. Not as aggressive as a Pista but a fine car.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Well said. Although the 812 is better at cruising I would definitely not label it a cruiser. It is twice the thrilling performance car of the others.