Door window when disconnecting battery | FerrariChat

Door window when disconnecting battery

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Thomas S., Sep 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Dear all, short question regarding the procedure when disconnecting the battery, being a new owner of a 550 Maranello: When opening the door, normally the window moves down a few centimeters, so it doesn’t get stuck under the rubber on the top. Of course after disconnecting the battery, this doesn’t work anymore. I know that the door shouldn’t be closed when the window is completely up, so I would close it before disconnecting the battery. But can I open the door with the window up and the battery disconnected without damaging anything?

The alternative would be to open the door (so the window moves down a bit) and the bonnet, then disconnect the battery and afterwards close the door. If I do so, the window will remain slightly open. Although I keep the car in a closed garage, I’m afraid that too much dust (and maybe some insects) will go into the interior if I leave it like that for a few weeks during bad weather periods (the garage is closed, but not the kind of completely isolated and super-clean environment which some members here have).

Appreciate any advice.

F456M likes this.
  2. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I don't think opening the door once, or once in a while with the glass up will do any damage. For storage, you can leave the windows up, turn the battery off and leave the hood closed but not latched. When you are ready to turn the battery back on, you won't have to open the door to unlatch the hood from inside the car.

F456M, Fennicus and Il Tifoso like this.
  3. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Good idea as well, thanks. Will just have to try once if the alarm doesn't start when opening the hood. Still want to keep the doors locked, even if in the garage.

4. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    After you disconnect the battery, lock the doors with the key.

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I leave the window slightly open (by disconnecting the battery when the door is open, as mentioned) and use a car cover so that (hopefully) nothing will go into the car through the open window.

6. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Why not just hook up a battery maintainer during extended periods of garage time? You can have a connector hang just inside the grill for an easy connection.

7. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I use the battery charger when I don't use the car over the winter, but just want to disconnect the battery whenever it's standing for around 2 weeks.

8. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    I lower the window about 1/2 inch and leave it that way. I also have a car cover on the car while stored in my garage.