Ferrari 458 Italia dry cell racing battery upgrade | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 Italia dry cell racing battery upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RayJohns, Jul 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Lithium batteries Braille makes, are Lithium Ion, not Lithium Polymer. The latter has a better power density, but needs much more care when charging. Li-ion batteries are not spontaneously bursting into flames if not left on a storage charge etc. They are quite safe.

As for the charging system there is no issues either. Yes if the Lithium battery was rated for less power than what the system puts out, but that is not the case. Additionally a Braille Lithium is actually designed to float at much higher volts than the AGM. Trust me, there is no way you can overcharge the battery during normal operation. If that was the case, your AGM would puke out its guts way before the Lithium would catch on fire.

The idea of sticking to OE is quite silly. If anything, I'd say those low quality batteries are a bigger safety hazard than anything. Trying to charge a collapsed battery that won't take a charge can not only overpressurize the battery, but also develop hydrogen gas. Oxygen and hydrogen equals boom. If one does go with a Lithium battery, one should obviously remember to get a lithium charger. The Ctek unit works well and you can get an adapter so that you can use the OE connection point.

If you don't like the idea of a Lithium battery, Braille makes a series of AGM batteries too. They are about as good as an AGM battery gets, and a B7548 will offer you.the best possible performance and safety you can get from an AGM battery in a 458.

I understand that you might not feel safe using a setup you are unfamiliar with, but I don't think there's a reason to advise others against it when that advice is based on a lack of information and understanding of the systems. Don't forget that Ferrari themselves offer Lithium options now, so it's not exactly uncharted waters, and nor is li-ion technology anything new.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd and RayJohns like this.
  2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #102 MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    I upgraded my 458Spider to a Braille Li Ion / CTEK charger . Excellent !

I wanted to do the same with the F8 spider. This was an option but later Ferrari rescinded the Option. Don’t know why.

The factory option mentioned something about custom aluminum mounting hardware with the optional Li Ion battery. I wonder if the Factory Li ION (made in Hungary I believe) was a smaller form factor that the standard AGM (Fiamm)?

I plan on swapping in a Braille when my F8 arrives. Much better and lighter too.

Tesla has many innovations in store for Li Ion batteries. One of which is the redesign of the electrical tab. Tesla is creating a strip that runs the length of the jelly roll which increases efficiency and reduced heat too.

Continuing technological advancements will lead to the ability of battery and electrical vehicles to surpass the ICE.

What we love to drive today is the result of 80 years of innovation. Imagine where the electric car will be in 80 years now that it is gaining popularity and a market share.

MC20 will have an all electric sub model. Imagine if there was an Italian sports car powered by Tesla!

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    From what I have seen, most of the factory lithium battery options are pretty poor quality / bad designs. You're smart to stick with Braille.

Ray

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I’m smarter cause I read your posts!

RayJohns likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If the battery manufacturer states you must have a specific Lithium charger for these batteries then how do you address the AGM charging profile of the stock electronics in the car? No one has answered this and yet folks still say go ahead buy a $3k battery and charger and dismiss an excellent non-OEM AGM at under $200 that's 100% compatible with the cars charging system.

RayJohns likes this.
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The battery manufacturers specifically say that the charging profile of the car's charging system is fine (I have asked this question of Braille myself). It's when using a plug-in-battery charger that there is more of an issue and you have to be more careful. I don't know what the issue is exactly, but whatever the charger does (which can damage the lithium battery), apparently it's not duplicated by the alternator in the car.

I have wondered about the same question you are posing myself. At one point I was going to attach my Oscilloscope to see what the difference between the output waves was, but never got around to it. My guess is that it's the difference between a constant square wave charging vs. a pulsed sine wave of some sort. Either that or perhaps that the AGM style charger lacks the electronics included in a lithium type charger (i.e. not having a true BMS). With regard to the alternator in your car, I believe there is always some sort of regulator wired into the mix which delivers current based on load demands (therefore, when the Lithium cells are fully charged, the charging stops).

I'm about to run out to dinner, but I'll do some more research when I get back and I will follow up, as your question is a very good one.

Ray

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Ray I think the lithium manufacturers are not to be trusted here. A charger is a charge whether its a brick or in the car. The modern car systems now back off the charging to increase gas mileage and reduce parasitic drag on the engine. This means the battery discharges more and represents a bigger load when it kicks back in. Unless you are racing (as in winning trophies and money) there's no need to even consider messing with the electrical system in your $400k exotic. At some point cars will come with lithium friendly charging systems but the existing designs are not forward compatible and should stick with a great and inexpensive non-OEM AGM units. Just my $0.02.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #108 MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    I went from Fiamm to non OEM AGM Odyssey battery.

When that battery was meeting its demise, I decided to move up to the Braille.

I bought the CTEK li Ion tender and a Ferrari pigtail adapter so I just plug into the same passenger side location beneath the dashboard.

I saw that the voltage of my car at cold start is just shy of 13v by the dash gauge Left sided display screen. This is a significantly higher level of charge than an AGM.

The car starts effortlessly even when it has been sitting parked for a week or two, such as when left at the airport parking lot, or when it has been at the service center for a bigger service such as annual plus spark plugs. Also since the DCT and EDiff are governed by their dedicated ECUs, you may find better and more consistent DCT behavior. Smoother shifting and fewer awkward pauses. I’m pretty sure about this improvement.

When driving I see a higher level of my system voltage too.

Since I did my own battery swaps, I can attest to the weight loss. The AGM is much heavier than the Li Ion.

I think that if one thinks about the cost and factors in the peace of mind of being able to start the car plus the weight savings, the cost of $2500 or perhaps less since there are other Li Ion choices, it isn’t a crazy decision.

I spent thousands for Ferrari carbon interior and exterior trim. Many bought the titanium lug bolts for the same price as the Braille battery and only lost a few pounds.

Li Ion battery prices will fall and maybe to a level which others find acceptable. When that occurs, I encourage you to re-consider and maybe take the plunge.

F485 and RayJohns like this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Still not addressing the need for different electronics to charge the battery on and off the car. I went +6 years on the stock OEM battery and installed an awesome AGM for $200 over a year ago. For $3k you can almost get a nice cup holder! Weight is meaningless on a street car with 731 hp. Of course its a great feeling to do something nice for your Ferrari and this level of expense is meaningless compared to the buy-in and ownership. But its just not necessary and there is a compatibility issue with the electronics.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    My 458 spider doesn’t have 731 HP.

I understand your concern about the compatibility issue.

Stay tuned since I’m keeping my 458. I’ll let you know how long the Braille lasts and how it performs.

Do you think that the Braille is too strong a battery for the 458 electrical system?

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No one knows what the effect is since the car's charger is designed to produce the AGM profile and the lithium needs a different one. If you roach anything electrical on that car $3k will be a drop in the bucket. The 458 battery is simple and quick to replace compared to F12/812 so replacing it every few years or longer with a $200 unit is just basic preventive maintenance.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think what's important here is to find out what the facts are, as it relates to the charging needs of lithium cells and then investigate if a normal car charging system is capable of delivering that. There are only so many ways to cause an electron to move down a wire, so when you make a statement like "lithium friendly", I think more specifics as what that actually means would be helpful.

Ray

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Your description above was my experience as well (with the 458).

Personally, I sort of feel like people, who have never used a Lithium battery in their Ferrari, telling others that they should stick to AGM batteries is a lot like when this police officer pulled me over once on my Yamaha R1 and started giving me a bunch of advice about how I should be riding. He was handing out so much advice, I asked him if he rode (meaning did he ride a motorcycle also). When he said no, I had to laugh a little bit and I politely asked him if he'd never even been on a bike, then did he really have any idea what he was talking about.

It's sort of the same situation here. If you've never run a Lithium battery, then do you really even know what you are talking about?

The Braille battery is vastly superior to any normal car battery. Sure, it's 10X the cost; but you get a lot for your money in terms of improved operation of all the electrical systems on the car. That alone is worth the upgrade.

Ray

14. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    I read randomly and I didnt see many installed it in 458.

I would like to hear from you as you experienced for a while now. for how long the battery installed and how long it holds its charge? did you charge it with a normal battery maintainer? maybe no need to be charged. have you faced any electric issues.. etc

thanks

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Again, specifics are needs here. I think if you are going to make statements like this, then you have to be specific about what exactly AGM needs and why and also what lithium needs and why - and then go on to explain what the charging system is or isn't providing and how that is either good or bad. To me, it feels like you are just casting out your opinions here as though they are some sort of scientific research.

I don't have the exact answers either. However, I have run Lithium batteries on both my Ferrari 458 and 488 and also my motorcycles. In all cases, they worked far better than traditional batteries which were constantly going dead and failing to properly power the electronics and/or start the motor. I've also spoken with the respective companies who produce these batteries (specifically Braille and SpeedCell) and they all say it's no problem. These are companies which have many units in the field (for many years), so I think they are in a pretty good position to provide real world, empirical feedback.

I think if there was some inherent / horrible incompatibility between Lithium batteries and car charging system, we'd have seen it come to the surface by now. Instead, what we see is the exact opposite: countless people raving about their positive experiences using Lithium batteries.

If there is some terrible issue with a Lithium battery being charged by a car alternator, let's cut the crap and get down to exactly what that is and why specifically.

Ray

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    When paired with the 458's charging system, it worked very well - and I never needed to use the included Lithium charger. With the 488, it seemed to work pretty well, but the logic in the 488 charging system didn't seem to provide a full charge. On account of this, I did use the Braille charger to top it off once every couple of months.

Using no additional tender, the battery would hold a charge for around 10 days or so without any problem. When you'd push the start button, the car would immediately fire up and the starter would turn as rapidly as if there was a brand new battery installed. Also, upon switching to the Lithium battery, it seemed that all the mysterious electrical issues vanished and the car never had any strange codes or warnings after that. If you read Malibu's post above, his experience was very similar to what I experienced.

I had the battery in my 458 for around a year or so and the 488 for about 6 months. I've since sold the battery and as far as I know the new owner is still using it to this day.

Ray

F485 likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Let me try and adress the charging system question as simply as I can.
    First off, unlike a Li-Po these batteries do not need a balanced charging system. If you don't know what balance charging is, look it up.

Now the way the system works is like this. The system senses a resistance as voltage in the battery climbs. There is a shut off point for the internal charging system which is set according to a standard for AGM batteries. The charging system on a car normally charges with a max voltage of 14.4 to 14.8 volts max. Once the system senses a specific resistance, it shuts off the charging or start using power from the battery to operate the cars electronics. It depends on the car. But no matter what the system does, it serves one simple purpose - avoiding overcharging the AGM. Overcharging the AGM will result in overpressure and it cause a dangerous explosion.
    Now the safety of the Lithium battery is down to one simple thing. Make sure it is built to operate at the same resistance and charging voltage as the AGM. When the Braille reaches this resistance, it is at 13.8 volts, which the battery is designed for. Now the question to ask Braille is this. What is the maximum voltage you can charge their batteries at? I asked, and the answer was 16 volts.
    So at the end of the day cpmpatibility is down to the manufacture of the battery. What they do is simply making a battery that works within those same parameters. I ran this by my brother whom is a developer for Bosch Automotive and he confirmed it. This is also why Ferrari can supply their cars with both types on the same charging system. It does not matter if its a classic fixed voltage charging system or the more modern variable voltage systems. They all operate on the same basic principles. How big of a charge the car puts into the battery on the variable systems is stll directly related to the internal resistance and charge level of the battery.

As for not trusting Braille to do this right? What exactly would they gain by lying? It's not line it is hard for them to do, and if their batteries started catching fire, they would lose their place as one of, if not the most respected battery supplier in professional motorsport. They have spent years developing their reputation based originally on their AGM batteries, and they definitely know how easy it is to ruin that reputation. Had a comlatie battery been impossible to make, and had it been a strong selling point for a new company, sure, then be suspicious. But Li-ion technology used in day-to-day items are two decades old and they know how to do it.

RayJohns likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The issue Ray describes is one of those annoying things with Ferrari. This lack of giving the battery a full charge will be the case no matter what battery is used. If the system is set to turn down the charge level at a set point, that won't change no matter what battery is used. I asked about this back in July in relation to something else, and the tech at the dealer said that Ferrari has finally recognized that there was a problem. He said that cars supplied since 2019 have a firmware update which solves this, and that cars are updated when brought in for scheduled service.

RayJohns likes this.
  19. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Thanks man for sharing the descriptive experience.

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You've definitely covered the meat of the situation.

If anything, I think an argument can be made that a Lithium battery works the same, if not better, given what your car's charging system is doing as far as charging. I simply don't see any validity to this "not compatible with Lithium" argument, given that you are charging the individual cells below what they are rated at - and that the main determining factor when it comes to overall system regulation is simply a target voltage level of around 14.2 volts (something which is completely compatible with any Lithium based car battery).

With a Braille i48CS battery, for example, when charged with say a 458's charging system, you aren't causing the individual lithium cells to be charged up to anywhere near their max voltage ratings. This less than 100% charge state has to help extend the life of the cells. I think this is probably part of why good quality Lithium batteries (such as Braille) can last for 8+ years, whereas your average AGM battery starts to suffer after only 3-5 years (and in the case of Ferrari, it seems like there are often issues being reported after only 1 or 2 years of ownership when using the OEM battery - even when constantly left attached to battery tenders). Contrast that to my experience with the Braille battery, where I used it on the 458 and never once used any tender whatsoever, yet the car always cranked over very strong (even if I left it sitting for 7 to 10 days at a stretch). Also, given that Ferrari uses quite an array of complex electronics, I think it's rather interesting that all my strange electrical warnings and error messages (and starting problems) all magically vanished into thin air the moment I switched over to using the Braille battery. For me, that alone is worth the price of admission.

Anyway, to each their own, but you'll never catch me using anything but the Braille Lithium battery on a Ferrari from now on - I don't care if the cost is $2500 vs. $200.

Last but not least, here is an excellent run down of how the charging system works and what role the alternator and regulator play:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/howitworks.shtml

The above link is definitely worth a read. It's a very easy to understand and clear description of what's taking place in the charging system and should help anyone come to their own conclusions.

With regard to Co-Pilota's comment above: if Ferrari has gone back to the older setup on their charging logic as of 2019, then that is great news. As mentioned previously, it seems to me that Ferrari made some bizarre changes to how the 488's charging system functioned. I found that the charging system on the 458 worked great, while the voltage levels on the 488 system seemed to randomly roam all over the place (probably in some effort to squeeze out a few more HP by reducing voltage output and alternator load at certain times). Who knows exactly what they were attempting to accomplish, but I personally would be happy to trade a couple of extra HP in exchange for a charging system that does a better job of keeping the battery fully charged at all times. So if, in fact, Ferrari has gone back to how things worked on the 458, then all the better.

Ray

Need4Spd likes this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Don't mention it; you're most welcome! :)

Ray

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thank you:)

They haven't reverted back to a fixed voltage system like it used to be in the 458, but they have changed the parameters for how big a charge the battery receives and how it is done. There is nothing wrong with a variable voltage system as long as you let the battery get a proper charge. Many cars now use a variable voltage system, the trick is to get it right. Parking the Pista or 488 after a nice day out lsaves the battery fully charged. That was not the case before, but it is now.

Ray just curious. If you take your car out for a two hour drive, what voltage does your Braille sit at when you park it? The Varta Silver dynamic I use in the 488 sits at 12.7 volts, so it is bang on for full charge. If your Braille sits at 13.8 volts, you actually get a full charge.

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's good to hear about the changes Ferrari has made to the charging system.

I've since sold the 458 and 488, so I couldn't really tell you exactly what the voltage of the Braille battery is right when you park the car. I can say that - after sitting for a week (no tender) - the voltage is usually still sitting around 13 volts though.

Here's a video I made a while back showing that:

I'm installing a Braille battery in my pickup truck, so once the truck is running and on the road, I can maybe check to see what sort of voltage levels I'm seeing there (if that helps at all). Currently, I'm putting the final touches on the main ECU wiring harness for the Toyota Pickup, but I should be done soon. Here's a photo of the Toyota from yesterday. I only had to redo the harness 4 times :)

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    My antigravity is still working perfectly and doesn’t need the tender.

Fully charged it looks to be around 13.3V and drops to about 13.23 over a week. No alerts or weird messages in nearly two months!

Plus I can monitor it with Bluetooth on my phone!

SV

RayJohns likes this.
  25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Don't know much about battery, but you speaks of logics only in decision making process. That is very convincing.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.