Purchase early 612? | FerrariChat

Purchase early 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Pawilly, Sep 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I have long loved the elegance of the 612 and am considering purchase. 2005’s are now 15-16 years old.
    Would current and recent long term owners of 2005-2006’s please advise on your ownership experiences, both positive and negative. I have been reading this particular forum for some time, but would still appreciate current observations and opinions. Thanks to all in advance.

airjew likes this.
  2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    montegoblue, Mirek, lee-o and 4 others like this.
  3. Kemp Stickney

Kemp Stickney Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Kemp Stickney
    I have now owned a 2005 612 for 3.5 years. I have put 4800 miles on the car in that time. These are true grand touring cars V-12s with seating for 4 and they love being driven on the road at speed. Most important is to go out and drive a few of them and see if you like the experience of driving the car. A PPI always worth the cost once you identify a car you like so you don't get surprised. With any car of this age their will be items to tend to. I have had sticky buttons fixed, Headliner re-glued, F1 clutch replaced. Otherwise normal oil changes..and no surprises. If parked out in the sun with out shade the front dash can need tending. I bought a custom window shade for mine for the few times when I might park without shade. Happy Hunting!

lee-o and Pawilly like this.
  4. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    To the OP, if you would like to get into a 612, shoot me a PM. I am not selling my 2010 612 OTO, but would be happy to give you the experience in a 612. We're a 100 miles apart (Annapolis <=> Lancaster.

KY _Soldier and Pawilly like this.
  5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If he drives the OTO car he may be more interested in that over the Gan 1 edition. I know because that happened to me.

6. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Thank you all for your helpful replies; I look forward to more insights from all of you. Thank you for your kind offer Cobraownr. I hope that I can take you up on it, as the search narrows.
    Re older vs. "Gen. 2", I am actually inclined toward steel brake discs. I read the threads noting that the better F-1 transmission operation in later 612's (starting on hills in particular). I have a steeper, but not long driveway, for which reversing up would be a non starter. How about going up in 1st, after reversing from the garage?
    Regards and thanks again to you all.

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’m in danger of sounding like a broken record here I know, but if the older gen F1 (or any F1 for that matter) puts you off, then conversion to manual is certainly an option.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I have an extremely steep driveway, and I have to reverse the car out the garage at the bottom.

I warm up the car for a bit to make sure it doesn't hiccup when cold. I engage reverse, and give the pedal a good boot to engage the clutch and keep the clutch fully engaged.

Have almost 30K on the car, bought at 7k. The CCM are awesome. The only advantage to steel is when tracking because of replacement costs.

But if you can get a manual for cheap in the UK, go for it.

airjew likes this.
  9. DKurtaz

DKurtaz Karting

Aug 12, 2019
    #9 DKurtaz, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I own a late 2006 HGTC for the last 12 months and have put 6000km on it, now at 44000Km. I bought it from a main dealer here in Munich with a Power Warranty.
    On these forums there is of course a lot of really great advice, but putting it all together prior to purchase they gave me the impression that the 612 was very fragile with early ones having an "unfriendly" gearbox. Both these points are in contradiction to my ownership experience- my car has been very solid and reliable (apart from a clanky windscreen wiper motor that the dealer replaced) and I really like the gearbox, gentle when needed, sportive when pushed. Definitely over the last 12 months the car has been a grower in that I like it more now than when I first purchased it as you find its character.
    One thing I noticed during purchase that doesn't pop up here so often- the front grill has a tendency to spit out its chrome teeth making it look a bit unsightly. Replacement I can imagine is not cheap (dealer replaced mine during purchase).
    I don't have sticky switches, but I did have a sticky rear Bose bass grill cover- completely renovated it with just some tough love wiping.

Just back from a 800Km trip around Italian/Austrian Alps. Car faultless and just felt magnificent pulling up the mountains (engine feels like its made from solid granite). Noise it makes is also superb, not too loud, not too quiet (motorcycling friend who was following me for 30 mins said he switched off his helmet music just to listen to it). Mine has carbon brakes which I'm sure are better than steelies, but also I'm no Michael Schumacher...
    Space inside in the rear is fine for my 6 and 12 year old and boot is big enough for a weekend away for 4 of us.
    I wasn't particularly a Ferrari fan prior to my purchase, but now I have one I can understand what all the fuss is about....and there is something very special about a big elegant V12 GT Ferrari which for me the more popular V8's just don't have.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Note the standard F1 software on early 612s was F1A (180 ms min shift time), a fifth or sixth generation system that works quite well once you learn to drive F1 smoothly. And that takes practice. Getting an HGTS or HGTC early 612 is worth the effort because they came with upgraded F1 software with min shift time of ~160 ms. Later pre-OTOs (2007/2008 timeframe) had upgraded F1 software for all 612s with a min shift time of ~125 ms. OTOs had 599 Superfast F1 software with the same 100 ms min shift time.

Note you will be jerky when you first drive an F1 Ferrari, but this is quickly overcome as you gain experience with the system. F1 software also has little known capabilities to aid on uphill starts. Let me know if anyone wants to learn that trick.

Makuono and danmano like this.
  11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I use the hand brake much as I would in a MT car. That seems to work well for me. Do you have a different method that may be better?

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I just use my left foot, as I do with any 2 pedal car.

danmano and brogenville like this.
  13. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Buy one. Life is a fickle thing and your opportunity may vaporize before you. He who hesitates is lost.
    A 612 is a great car in mho it is elegant, fast, and a FERRARI. I just read your post and it reminded me of my search so I took a small night cap snifter of Courvoisier out to sit in it and take it all in again.
    Cheers!

14. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I'm here to learn :)

Kemp Stickney and Pawilly like this.
  15. Kemp Stickney

Kemp Stickney Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Kemp Stickney
    Thx. Your absolutely right about the grill bits...I have replaced a few but for now they seem to all be in place. You mentioned something I just posted on. I have sticky speaker covers on the dash. Maybe I am just over thinking this...did you put anything on the cloth before your tough love wipe of the speaker cover?

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    This change was incorporated into the software early in the 575M production life and should still be there with 612 F1A and its different versions. Kent Goldy, another 575M owner, dug this tech bulletin up that I had not seen. Note I do not recommend the high speed launch, just the low speed clutch saver.

Attached Files:

Makuono likes this.
  17. DKurtaz

DKurtaz Karting

Aug 12, 2019
    Nothing at all on the cloth- just a rub and its as good as new.

Kemp Stickney likes this.
  18. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Terry,
    Tried opening this PDF on my iPad and just got a bunch of random symbols. Will try on a computer and report back. Regards

19. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Managed to open it on the Mac.

This is like dark Ferrari web information/wizardry.

Will try it. :)

Thanks Terry.

Pawilly likes this.
  20. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Success! 575M F1 trans launch control functions pdf opened :). Terry, Thank you for this info.

21. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    Has anyone tested if they can find launch control ( LC ) from their 575 ( from " assembly 45913 " ) or 612 ( Taz post #16 ). I have tested a couple times and thereis no LC found by following the instructions. ( My car 08 non-OTO 612 HGTC ) . " A specific indication will flash " - but I have not seen any specific indication and there is no idea to ruin the clutch by revving up against the brake. Just a couple very shy attempts to rev. Maybe later 575s do have it but not 612??? Factory claims 0-100km/h(62mph ) in 4.2sec and 1/4mile in 12.25 ( F1 transmission, but it's sure these numbers need fully working LC. Without LC it's 5.0 and 13.0 car since the quick start is basbally impossible ( 60ft 2.3s ).

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    after my scud and 430 conversions i find myself contemplating conversions for my OTO and my FF. the onlhy downside, i spend a lot of time in traffic with those cars and wld certainly want to blow my brains out with a stick!

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    LC too tough on clutches for me to try it. It is possible LC was not fitted to US spec V12s.

24. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It’s mentioned in the owners manual of my 2005 612.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    You should be able to test if LC is there or not without making any launch. Just to see at idle if the " specific indication " is there or not.