Why I hate McLaren | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Why I hate McLaren

Discussion in 'British' started by Igor Ound, May 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I will be at Summit Point, come on down and watch us do our thing. You can cheer me on from the sidelines. ;)

2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Could they go bankrupt? Sure, it's possible, but so what. They re-organize/downsize/get bought out or whatever, BUT, they still carry on as a car company.

topcarbon and Gh21631 like this.
  3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Them and Alfa Romeo are 2 companies i would love to go work for right now. Not saying i have the solution but it would be really interesting to try to get them to where they deserve to be.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I feel like I could definitely fix McLaren. I just dont want to work that hard anymore.

tomc likes this.
  5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    They deserve so much more
    For a company that has been around for eight years producing cars the continue to give all the big Marques a run for prominence

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I’m at the Glen this week doing it. we’re testing tires and different traction programs

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ahah, sure bjk. Why didn’t Delorean, Saab, Tvr, MG, Triumph, Rover etc have you to advise them? If their debt is bigger than their assets who’s gonna buy them, especially after they’ve sold even their headquarters? Ferrari?

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #233 Igor Ound, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Not that difficult if you are ok wasting money instead of making it and that’s why they’ll never be a big Marque. Obviously I think they are getting exactly what they deserve for aiming too high and delivering very little, all the while always pestering every British car show or publication with such unbelievably unfair bias towards them.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    like many companies one of the prime assets is the brand or brand equity.
    Also a if they go bankrupt and are sold the debt is going to be written down so they could be a good buy.

In the positives
    they have an existing line of cars a dealer network and apparently a fanboi base some of whom are willing to write big checks.

they’re in the same orbit as Lamborghini just under Ferrari and have proven production and development capabilities.

so for the right price there is appeal.

course a buyer would still need product vision and enough budget to develop new product. Along with a business model that makes sense at 4K units per annum.

BJK likes this.
  10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Strongly disagree there, not even close now imo. Lambo has a much stronger and diverse line up, classics status and much much greater brand recognition. And if Mclaren go bankrupt don’t think they’ll still keep their dealers network which is pretty small in any case. Plus there’s the question of servicing all the old faulty cars on long warranties...

I think if somebody buys the brand will be at a much later time, when all waters have calmed down and pretty much start afresh

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe they will be fine, I chalk it up to growing pains and lessons learned. They will have their debt restructured and hopefully move forward with the knowledge gained.

BJK likes this.
  12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    From latest reviews on the 765lt seems they have rushed out the new car before it was fully optimised

14. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    in what way?

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Very poor dynamics for many

crinoid likes this.
  16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  18. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    BT and Igor Ound like this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    IMO it looks much better than anything else in its class. From a tech standpoint it is way better than anything else out there. Super light, tons of power and great handling - yeah it must suck.

greg328 likes this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    IMO the looker of the class is the hurrucan. Macklaren is the tech leader for sure, and the F8 pulls it all together as a driving package, although to look at its no pista.

We read though the Hybrid car will gain weight.

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Disagree there. No doubt that’s the image they want to portray but other than the contentious carbon tub, which ferrari could easily adopt from Alfa 4C and Maserati if it didn’t present some drawbacks too, their tech is behind and way outdated now imo. All they have on their side is weight which by itself means nothing.

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Given the 570 is one of the least offensive maybe they weren’t too wrong in changing so little. I see quite a few maccas around and I’m always underwhelmed even compared to pictures. They look so small and every model is the same size

23. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    really? same size?
    My 675 is lager in length and width than the 570. its nt even close.
    sounds like you are strting to like Mclaren.
    Finally