Please...help me choose a California to buy | FerrariChat

Please...help me choose a California to buy

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by walman, Sep 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walman

walman Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Wal Smith
    Help me decide which California to buy. Here are my two choices. Please note all figures quoted are in Canadian dollars.

2016 Cali T with 9,000 miles on it. Sapphire blue with black leather and blue stitching. It's a base model with the fender shields, thread color and not much else. One owner. It has an accident declaration on it for $30,000
    Turns out that was just for a simple nose job! $15k for the nose and $10k for the grill...ouch! Labor etc brings the total to a bit over $30,000
    Asking price $150,000

Or...

2014 Cali 30 with 16,000 miles, two owners, and its loaded with the diamond stitching on the seats, and doors, has the nav and back up camera, 20" wheels etc. Sapphire blue and cream color leather. No accidents. Asking price $142,000

For what its worth, I have a Porsche 997 Turbo, 6 speed manual with some mods. So I have a high performance vehicle when I want to go nuts or do a track day. Just looking to add the Ferrari to have a higher end "practical" GT car that can be a daily driver.

So what would be the better buy? The 2016 Cali T is a steal at the price, but that's because of the big accident declaration. And I really like the look of the 2014 vs the 2016. I feel its more retro. But I don't think many share my option...

Its my first Ferrari, and I like the idea of the normally aspirated engine, as I already have a 997 TT.

I plan to keep this car long term. With the possibility of switching to a Cali T in a few years if I really feel I want the extra power.

Love to hear what everyone has to say...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I love the blue over crema interior! Somewhat biased, I suppose, because I have a 2013 Cali and love it! The N/A engine sounds great. Does the 2014 Cali have HS? It makes the ride smoother.

Patricia2020 and tomc like this.
  3. walman

walman Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wal Smith
    The 2014 does not have the HS. And ya, I LOVE the blue and crema. So rich looking. Saw this color combo many years ago and vowed I would get it one day. And one can't argue the pure sound of a N/A Ferrari. I know going to turbo is the way of the future for most performance cars, so that why I like the idea of the 2014. At least its got 30HP more...

4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I've also heard that HS can be added. You need to check on that. There are some threads on F-chat that cover HS. The original option cost about $7000.

5. walman

walman Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wal Smith
    I've read the HS is less comfy. The ones i test drove handled very nice as is. Quick and responsive. Dare I say, I liked it more than my Porsche? The feel is quick and light.
    But my old ass is looking for comfort more than G-forces. I never turn on the stiff suspension setting on the porsche. Its stiff enough already for city roads. Only OK on the smoothest surfaces, like hwy or a track.

6. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I have owned both and while I actually appreciate the look of the California over the t, the t is a more refined car all around with the exception of sound. If you are keep and using, I would vote T. Of course...imho ;)

7. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    I had a 911 and traded it in for a Portofino. The porto (similar to the Cali) is much more of a GT: comfortable for long distances but with enough oomph when you want it. The blue and cream combo look wonderful but the electronics are woefully out of date

tomc likes this.
  8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I would stay away from the car with the accident declaration. Period.

Sammi likes this.
  9. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    For reference, I purchased a 2017 California T (10k miles) with the following options for around 150k.

Internal colors
    External colors
    Carpets colors
    APPLE CARPLAY
    CARBON FIBRE DRIVER ZONE+LEDS
    HORSE STITCHED ON HEADREST
    SPECIAL HANDLING PACKAGE
    'SCUDERIA FERRARI' SHIELDS
    PARKING CAMERA
    20" FORGED DARK PAINTED RIMS
    WHITE REV COUNTER
    COLOURED SPECIAL STITCHING
    TYRES PRESSURE MEASUREMENT
    VEHICLE PERSONALIZATION PLATE
    MERCATO

10. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    ^^^^^ this all day long. You may be an understanding buyer but we are a rarity. You’ll find out the hard way when you go to sell it...which you will, because never ‘upgrading’ is a fallacy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Sammi and russellmcg like this.
  11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly. Everyone on F-chat will decry garage queens, and those who dare not use their F-cars "the way Enzo intended." But, when push comes to shove, at purchase time, we all want unsullied virgins with no "stories." I'd only buy the first car after a very thorough PPI, and if it were a forever car. Car # 2 is my pref, largely because the color combo you have the 997TT for sportiness & track, and appear to want the Cali for GT duties and to occasionally be naughty on the backroads. Also, it's already in your avatar, so I think - assuming you have driven it already - you know what's in your heart. Finally, there is no reason to rush this, it's likely winter in Canada already, prices may soften a bit over winter, and this is a purchase you want to have no buyer's remorse. Regardless, you need to drive - if you have not done so already - a 30 and a T. Your heart will tell you which you prefer, and then you can go from there. Good luck.
    T
    p.s. I think that's your Porsche half talking, there is no sapphire blue that I know of. Looks to be TdF Blue.

russellmcg likes this.
  12. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Walman, if you've posted the 2014 Cali as your avatar, it's clearly the front runner!:D

tomc likes this.
  13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I would side with the T, but you need to do a couple of things to mitigate your risk:

Accident pictures
    Obtain the repair report and make sure it is clear where the $5k in labor was spent
    Have it thoroughly inspected by a Ferrari body expert to make sure no frame damage

I will and have bought cars with “stories” as long as I can verify everything to my satisfaction

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If you are getting a nice $10-15k discount for the minor accident on the Carfax I wouldn't worry too much about it if you plan to keep it and put a bunch of miles on the car, because once they have a lot of miles on them, it's more of a negligible difference as it will hit bottom due to the mileage anyway -- the guys who really want the low mileage pristine examples wouldn't touch a car with that much mileage. This assumes it was a minor accident ... no airbags, no frame or component damage, etc.

If you are going to do the 1-2k miles a year thing and look to trade out of it in a year or two, then you are probably better off with a no-stories car.

tomc and AD211 like this.
  15. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    everyone’s going to have an opinion, but since you asked, I’d go with the California to start!

Not just because the asking price on the California T seems high, but why not start out with naturally aspirated and work your way up? You can always go faster, but I think it may be difficult to go from TwinTurbo down to naturally aspirated again!

Good luck in your search

A

16. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You will get opinions from both camps on this. Bottom line is, which one will make your heart melt each time you open the garage!:)

17. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    My bad on not reading this carefully. I didn’t catch the damage history. It will be a pain to sell but the prices on these will continue to drop so if you are selling in 5 years for south of 100 I am not sure how big of a deal it will be. Service history and condition will be more important...at least to me. Of this was was a Tdf or even f12 I would feel differently and accident damage would be a bigger factor.

18. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Cali T all day long. It's the superior car in every way and will be as fast as your 997TT with added civility. At $112K US, seller has taken about a US $25K haircut for the damage. I would try and get a little more off the ask because 3/4 of prospective Ferrari buyers won't touch that car. I am in the minority I guess, but I like the blue/black better than the blue/tan. Personally I'm not a fan of the quilted seats in such a light color, those belong in something more foo foo like a Bentley IMHO. If you go from the 997 to the 2014 Cali you will feel like you lost a turbo or two, and you will have.

russellmcg likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Cali T. Much better car in every single possible way. Yes you have a 911 Turbo, but those two cars are nothing alike.
    Of course it is an individual thing, but I cannot for the life of me see why the Cali instead of a T. While speed is not everything, compared to most modern sports GT's an exotics, it does feel rather slow and heavy. Get the T, much better and sorted car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

russellmcg likes this.
  20. walman

walman Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wal Smith
    Wow, thanks to EVERYONE for all the great feedback! Its my first ever posting to the forum and I am super impressed.

Needless to say I have read every review on the Cali T i could find. Yes the "experts" all seem to side with the T. But after pitting the two dealers against each other, I got a further $8k reduction on the 2014 model. The 2016 was firm at $150k with the original asking price at $160k
    And the 2016 T was a "base" vs the 2014 that is loaded. I love the cream leather and diamond stitching. 997 Porsche interiors are ok, but don't stir the soul. So I was leaning towards more flair and luxury in this car. Italians and Brits...stunning interiors.

So after mulling it all over, I have decided I'm going for the 2014. I drove it, and loved the feel. Yes I noticed the power drop compared to the 997TT, but its hardly a slug, and the NA exhaust note is a thing of beauty. And now with the likes of Ferrari going to turbo on newer models, I figure I gotta have the NA at least once.

I know the Cali T is alongside my 997 in terms of HP and Torque. But I'm hooked on all wheel drive with all that power vs RWD only. So cool the way your pull out of a corner...
    I know the electronics are lacking, but I don't take calls, use Navigation, etc. And no matter how good the sound system is, it sounds like crap with the roof down. And the roof is always down, unless its parked!
    I really wish these cars still had the buttons and switches of old. So I appreciate the HVAC controls still being analog and not on the touch screen . And ultimately I'm really pissed I cant get the classic grated chrome shifter manual transmission anymore. That would be sweet. Apparently only 3 were ever produced.

And as some of you astute observers pointed out, my avatar was the 2014. Damn, I was impressed by your attention to details!!!

So once again, a million thanks to all for chiming in. i should have my new addition in about three weeks they tell me.

Now I wonder...can I get the black front grill chromed for a more retro look??? Maybe the guy who wrapped my 997 can wrap it in chrome...

Federal man, Sammi, tomc and 2 others like this.
  21. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Awesome and congrats!! No matter which one you go with, you are going to love it!!

One thing to look at if you want a retro grill is the GTO style grill (https://store.millermotorcars.com/products/ferrari-california-gto-grille). I have never seen one on a car in person, but it sure looks cool in the photos!

Again, enjoy the hell out of this car and welcome to the family!!

lfc8 likes this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Congrats. Just an extra observation. What tyres are on it and how old are they? If they are the PZero or older than two years, you should consider getting the Porto spec MPS4S tyres. A massive upgrade compared to what the car originally came with.

tomc, SLViper1 and russellmcg like this.
  23. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congratulations!
    Enjoy the ride!

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Porsche and Ferrari. The perfect combo. Enjoy and congratulations...T

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1

I'd also ask the same question about the battery. If it's not been replaced, I'd do it and upgrade the battery tender...T

russellmcg likes this.