308 QV solenoid locking | FerrariChat

308 QV solenoid locking

Discussion in '308/328' started by RAC911, Sep 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    I have a 1983 308 with solenoid locking set. This simply means locking the driver side automatically locks the passenger side. The passenger side is a simple solenoid commanded from the driver mechanism. The driver solenoid has two connectors, a white and a brown. Both have two blades for electrical contact. The white connector has a white/blue wire and a brown wire. The white.blue wire has 12V and the brown is connected to chassis. Moving the plunger down shorts the two together. Somehow I am missing something. The item is brand new. A schematic was shown earlier in a thread that shows the short. The brown connector has the solenoid connections. Any thoughts?

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So moving the plunger down grounds the white/blue wire and the passenger solenoid actuates right? Is there a problem?

3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I didn't bother replacing my passenger solenoid when it went crazy, I just installed full remote central locking - a great upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N920I using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    This schematic was presented in FerrariChat:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    BN is the +12V.When the plunger pushes down the wiper arm connects to the +12V causing a short. The fuse blows and that is what happens in the car. This schematic may not be correct, but the short does occur. Another issue: Why is there a solenoid on the driver side? Turning the key opens or locks the doors by activating a solenoid on the passenger side. Pushing the rod also causes the same problem. The driver side solenoid has two connectors, a whie one with 2 contacts, one for ground and the other for +12V. The second connector is brown that connects directly to the solenoid. The bottom line is that I cannot put in a brand new driver side solenoid and get the system to work.

5. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
  6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well it doesn’t (or shouldn’t) cause a short. It completes the circuit to ground so the actuator motor will run to the locked position at which point the arm will switch to the other leg so that when the plunger is pulled up the circuit will again be complete and drive the motor in the opposite direction at which point the arm moves back and the whole thing is reset. At least that’s what it’s supposed to do.

That’s not to say you don’t have a short somewhere though.