458 GEARBOX ISSUES? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

458 GEARBOX ISSUES?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ExcelsiorZ, Jul 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Hmmm
    Sounds too good to be true. If you don’t want to deal with a costly repair and don’t trust the car enough to drive it, then maybe it is time to ....

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    What year is your 458? And the mileage?

Sadly as every car out there is getting more and more tech this kind of thing is going to happen. Certainly puts a serious dent into the joy of ownership. And I certainly can empathize with your fears.

3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Sorry to hear, but sell??!! Why would you think of that, could be something simple like a reverse button sticking, or faulty paddle shifter, etc, etc. If it's the speed sensor, it's like a $9k repair, "new" refurbished unit like $20k, brand new like $30k, but again, can be simple. I'd bring it in for a second opinion to another dealership or a trusted Indy, that has the right tools. Where are you located?

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Had something similar on our yearly club drive once.

Car wouldn’t go into reverse just before our big drive. Couldn’t figure it out and headed to our technical resource but the. The car started working! So continued in the drive.

Some weeks later I discovered what the trigger was. Putting it in race mode would initiate the failure, eventually. Then it would stay in failure. When I used sport mode, no problem! Took it to dealer who could not get the failure to happen and showed them and they diagnosed it as... a bad reverse button! That made no sense to me but they claimed they replace it and corrected it (tho I suspect they reprogrammed the transmission ecu). Never failed again!

Hope this helps!

SV

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

KC360 FL likes this.
  6. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Aspen

7. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Ok, you should def get another opinion. If you were local to me, I could've helped you out.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  8. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Did you ever change the fluids?

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I get the annual maintenance. Don’t know if they changed the transmission fluid. I will ask.

The car is under the power train warranty until next May. At which time it will need to be renewed. $4,900 last time.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    great that you have the POWER warranty!
    Knowing this I’d say keep the car—you have a good DCT insurance policy!

11. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    My gear box failure light came 2010 Italia 22,000 miles.

towed you Ferrari of Washington. Told if bad sensor consumer cost around $10,000, new transmission 26,000. I have a CPO so no worries .

The dealer cleared the fault, but found hard fault on reverse button, never had a problem going into reverse. $1500 later car back . Who knows ?????

Baitschev and Sargepug like this.
  12. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Great on warrantly!! Why the hell would you say you need to sell then, since you are covered?! It's not part of the annual service...

13. 45800

45800 Rookie

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sah

+1
    And extend the warranty.

14. jazztrip

jazztrip Karting

Oct 1, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe
    @PhilNotHill I've put 50k miles on my '13 Italia. At around 1,500 miles I got a transmission fault just driving around in the neighborhood and only had the odd numbered gears available. I pulled into the local super market and called the dealership. The Service Manager said to restart the car. I did, the error went away. He said "drive it like you stole it". I did/have and haven't had another issue since (7.5 years now, knock wood). I have NO IDEA why I got the error, but no problems since including plenty of spirited drives and 8 track days. Good luck.

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I live in the Rockies 3.5 hours from the dealer. I drive places with no cell phone service for miles.

Money and warranty are not really the issue for me. Getting stranded is a real concern. When l was younger and in better health (ran three miles a day) maybe not such a big deal. My back won’t let me walk three miles let alone jog or run.

Dealer says its a software glitch. The car fixed itself. But it could happen again. If they had replaced the transmission with a new one l would probably keep the car.

We may have a month of driving before the snow sticks to the roads. Then the car is in storage to April-May. May is when the warranty runs out and has to be replaced. Also when the next annual service is due. Seems silly to have a car sit in storage and then wonder if the car will fail.

I am not much of a risk taker.

Ash Patel and KC360 FL like this.
  16. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
  17. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    I had gear box light come on. Ferrari of Washington cleated code but said I had a hard code on reverse button, replaced $1500, all good.

I own two 458 Spider , Italia, gremlins come and go . One time could not get key out of ignition for four days then magic out it came .
    Is what is . I have had more issues with my BMWS then my Ferraris . Never know .

I drive both of them hard 7000 miles last year Italia , 4000 Spider .

Drive Drive Drive everyone on this forum is do fortunate to own one or more, just drive them so few get to exp such a thrill, do not let it sit in garage.

sampelligrino, shawdut and Sargepug like this.
  18. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Agreed 100%! I've owned many "toys" in my 50yrs and I have never driven so many miles on one, more than my first Ferrari / 458! Bought her in March w/ 4,400 on the clock, now has 6,100.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Saw the posts about the reverse button malfunction which were associated with transmission warnings.
    I had some issues with the car not starting.The problem was intermittent and my dealer was unable to reproduce the error,
    Finally I thought to spray some electrical contact cleaner at the Start button on the steering wheel. The liquid residue I recovered was full of black soot. In my area we had suffered terrible fires and horrible polluted air for a few months.
    Guess what. Problem solved. No issues for the last year!

If you have a Reverse button failure, before spending the $1500 bucks to replace it, try spraying some electrical contact cleaner.

ScottJon likes this.
  20. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Great idea !!! Good thinking

21. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Need4Spd and Tarek307 like this.
  22. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    one thing that would worry me down the road is that they are just replacing it with another Trans from Ferrari, your car is a 2014 with less than 5k miles, so your trans is basically still new- the problem was the way the wiring is inside done at the factory and the way the wires are strapped together- Thats why i'm glad i had mine opened, and the sensors changed + wires secured correctly (not sure on details but has something to do with chaffing & how many straps are around the wires to keep them from moving, this is a science in aeronautics FYI )

Need4Spd likes this.
  23. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I hear ya and it has close to 7k on the clock, I drove her almost 3k since March, which is excessive for a toy. lol
    I'll take the new box ($40k job), cause I also think it will help in value and Rarri also covers it for an additional 2 years once installed. My tech initially suspected the speed sensor, which is a $10k job, but after diagnostics was sent to Rarri, they said I need a new box. Therefore, if it was just a sensor, why would they shell out $30k more for the new box....

Tarek307 likes this.
  24. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    3,000 miles? I did that in 3 weeks in November, LOL.

You need to run these hard, end of story. At least if mine ever goes, I'll say I got my $$$ worth.......

For that kind of scratch ($40k) I would expect extensive mechanical damage (and maybe it has). Like Hansel and Gretel parts everywhere damage.

Tarek307 likes this.
  25. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    lol, I'm 50 w/ 3 early to mid teens and 5 cars, of which 3 are toys, so i'm being constantly pulled in multiple directions between family, etc. I belong to many car clubs and one that we run the exotics to top speeds in some cases, so she's been driven to potential! No exploded box, I'll find out more details and post.

wthensler likes this.