Any Launch X431 (or Matco Maximus) Users Here? | FerrariChat

Any Launch X431 (or Matco Maximus) Users Here?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Blacksport350, Aug 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    I finally stoped trolling and signed up and this is my first post...Hello form Denver, CO!

I'm looking for some experienced Launch X431 owners that are using the advanced Special Functions and kindly willing to answer some questions about what unit they have and what software versions are on it.

I just bought the Matco Flex ($1,300) which was supposed to be a higher end version of the Launch X431 Pro S that most people look to be buying and has US updates and support (which is why I bought it). It turns out that they are screwing their users over on software versions as it only has Ferrari 10.91 and Aston Martin 10.31. Ferrari should be 11.00 and Aston 10.44 to work properly for Special Functions ned for tranny and clutch. The Matco Maximus 3.0 (it's a top end X-431) I demoed did have the proper versions on it and worked perfectly but is $4,500. And no, you can't download updates unto the Flex as those versions are not available for it.

So....

1. What version of the X-431 do you have?

2. Can you go into "Updates" and tell me which Ferrari AND which Aston Martin versions you show?

3. On your (presumably) unofficial in the US units that most of you seem to have, how do you handle subscriptions to activate the advanced Special Features? On the US units, it's $20 to activate a Matco branded unit (the main reason I went with the Matco unit) for any 30 day period, or $800 to activate a Launch for 2 years or Matco for one year. If you don't activate the subscription, the US units only work as code readers with no Special Functions.

I'm thinking that trying to be a good guy and buy the US supported units is the problem. I think that I'm going to find that those of you with the cheaper non US versions like the Mini Pro S and other models have the latest updates on cheaper units and don't need subscriptions to use Special Functions.

Thank you for any help!

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Here is a thought

Buy a thinkdiag ..about 100 dollars and free brand for a year

You can test all the x431 capabilities on that and compare

I don't have that ..I have an older x431 but supposedly it has the latest and greatest x431 functions and software

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Thanks.

I assume you would run the ThinkDiag with any Android tablet?

What X431 model do you have and have you used it for any of the gearbox functions?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes it is for Android

I have an old knock off and just did readings mostly

What model do you have ..the non 360 CS TCu:s don't communicate well with much of the diag tools including the x431 ...f430 works well

imahorse likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I believe the current ferrari version is 11.90

6. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    I did some research on the reader you recommended, it really doesn't look promising for any advanced features. I intend to use this an F430 and newer as well as 2010 and newer Aston Martin. The Matco Max 3.0 (keep in mind this is a Launch X431) will support special functions on models up to an F12.

I am not using this as a code reader. I am going to use it for advanced procedures. You might be right about the version, the latest I had seen is 11.00 but it could have jumped again. I'm pretty sure 11.00 is all that's required to do the jobs correctly.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    R u sure ..given it uses the same version as the bigger x431 I would assume same functions

8. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    I'm not 100% but until someone chimes in with a non US Launch unit, I'm going to assume no. The reason for this is because Launch US requires a subscription to activate the 2-Way and Special Functions.

The Matco (X431) unit I have is only a code reader until subscribed. When subscribed, it is much more but special functions will not work as their software is too old.

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I believe the launch thinkdiag does as well ..

Most cracked version do not have comminations to launch which stops coding of modules etc

I assume if you buy from.amazonnyou can always return it .. if I didn't have mine I would definitely try it .. sometimes under 100

Blacksport350 likes this.
  10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Many are confused about the national origin of the Launch company. Many think it's a US based company with a Chinese knockoff competitor. That's not the case. Launch, including Launch USA, are Chinese companies. Their products are Chinese and they are a single entity. Launch USA is actually a subsidiary of the Chinese Launch company. Their device is developed and maintained in China. Tech support comes out of China. I believe even Launch USA sales use Chinese tech support, but I am not positive.

Personally, if you really want the best diagnostics for your Ferrari, you should consider getting a Galileo. They're $5k and are the real deal. Same exact software as the Leonardo only limited to one car. You can upgrade it for a second car for about $2500. These tools come with a 2 year warranty, actual real tech support and updates.

Another option, one recommended to me by a master Ferrari tech is the Autel MS90X line. I have a MS906 and it has been able to do everything I want. I have a gated so my requirements are a lot less than the F1 folks. The Autel MS906 cost me about $1100.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I just saying for 100 dollars you may get 95 percent of those multi thousand dollars tools ..that's all .. I am not saying it is perfect but for dyi I think it does what it needs to do

Unless you are coding modules or working with 2020 porche or Chrysler products ..these little inexpensive tools will amaze ..

12. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Thanks for the reply. I did know about the structure of Launch as a company. However, Launch USA does have US phone support and a full team of support and software guys working out of California. That was why a US product was appealing as they will not offer support for a non US version.

It's sounding like some of the Asian market units have been "unlocked" to not require a subscription.

I have access to the Autel, it will not do F1 functions but is a great diagnostic tools.

Understood on the Galileo but I'm also trying to cover Aston Martin and the AMDS tools can be $10,000 plus while the right Launch will cover both brands and all models from a 430 through an F12.

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  14. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  15. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Thanks. Which Launch do you have? Looks like the ProS Mini.

It's interesting that they limited it on the AM version which is 10.44 for the latest but released the Ferrari 10.95 to it.

16. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    After reading some of the posts ..I had to correct my older post ..I have 10.90 ..sorry for writing 11.90 ..

But as mentioned above 10.95 is the current now

Just wanted to fix my post ..never like to mislead anyone

18. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I have the X431 pro mini. I bought it to read the clutch % on my recently-purchased 360. It seems to work. My big disappointment so far is that it won't support the brake bleeding function on a 360. Apparently it works on a 430? I haven't done a clutch bleeding yet, but I'm hoping it supports that function. I'm also disappointed with the lack of support for ABS bleeding on my A4.

19. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

I have the Launch Tech USA X-431 Torque. It cost me $1,400 from Amazon. It does not require payment of a fee to activate the software and the support comes from Ontario, CA. It performs special functions for the F1 system and E-Diff. It reads clutch wear, and PIS, as well as new clutch position and current position. System pressures are given in Bar (not PSI). Software updates are free and download very quickly. I have used it in conjunction with the Ferrari Workshop manual on my MY07 F430. I have performed an F1 flush/bleed which was very easy with this tool. I put my Scud Ing Advanced Smart eMT relay in maintenance mode so the pump can run continuously to flush out the ATF and refill with Liqui Moly hydraulic fluid. It also performs diagnosis on a ton of other makes, foreign and domestic.

I like it very much. Easy to use, very intuitive interface. It also has internet access and can link remotely to another Ferrari tech for assistance.

Ray

20. RS RS

RS RS Rookie

Aug 14, 2019
    NJ, USA
    @Ray Smith Does it support programming F430 keys?
    Thanks

21. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I don't know. I'll have to pull it out and check the menu items under "special functions".

22. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    All of the feedback that I got from the Launch folks, their dealers and their re-sellers was that the Launch had full functionality for Ferrari 2007 up and only partial functionality for model years prior to that. So I bought the software and hardware package that Ratarossa uses as it is fully capable of doing everything for my 2000 F 360. Cost delivered and duty and taxes paid off of UK eBay was $1200 Canadian or $895 USA.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  23. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Can you post a link to the one you purchased?

24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I checked and could not find a special function to reprogram keys...