0 to 60 in 2.67 seconds on two consecutive runs | Page 3 | FerrariChat

0 to 60 in 2.67 seconds on two consecutive runs

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Apr 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    His point was that there is potential in the platform to build something more special. He wasn't implying that there is a $300K corvette coming. My point is that it would be difficult to obtain similar to the Ford GT.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I agree, hard to get the vette platform close to the ford Gt, but in a road car performance is very much accleration biased and maybe one lap of nurbering, so the 1000hp 4000lbs vettes shortcomings may not be relevant or apparent for most.

My take on the vette platform. You cant dance at two weddings with one pair of shoes. In order to have a low sill so old lardasses could get in and out easily at the club, and in order to carry two sets of golf clubs comprmises had to be made. A low sill meant a lot of the structure had to go down the center. Thats made it heavy and also put the driver and passenger outboard on the wings. Compare his to the Maclren tub which is light and where the driver and passenger are very much towards the center. These differences are moot on road but pretty big if you're running on track, theres a reason the F1 had the driver in the middle and theres a reason all race cars go for lightness, not to mention a stiff chassis.

The vette is also a car for the USA so its quite frankly big, and big is not great on track either.

On the positives it has great suspension underpinnings and the frame seems to be reasonably stiff.
    I'm 1000% sure that the awd electrified Zora will post exceptional and irrelevant numbers other than for bench racing and a few cehap accleration thirlls, but hey most roads in USA are straight and besides acclerating we cant really go fast anyway, other than on track or a backroad. For track or backroad smaller lighter stiffer is better and far more important than excess Hp..

The STD vette is 3600-3700lbs wet. (the road ford Gt not light either) A Quad cam motor will by defintion and any comaparative datta weigh more than the classic sbc.
    So theyre going to have to loose weight elsewhere, and how low can that weight get. Ill wager it will still weigh 3400lbs.
    A C6z06 weighted 3150 and the C5 z06 which is really loved by trackers weighted even less.

So with all that weight you add more tire and more brake and discover you have a car that eats tires and pads and wilts too soon. Thats what happened with the C7 and thats why a C7 ZR1 despite its Hp is not a good track car compared to even a Gs. Weight is why the original NSX is a seminal classic and the new one a damp squib.

Still at 3400lbs for the price the c8 z06 will be a great car, if they even get the weight that low. The C7 z06 indiactes that Gm also might just add tires and brakes to a heavy car that can do a few quick laps and call it a day.

The ford Gt worked around its weight by having suspension that could drop it really low for track so there was some compensation and that CF tub is really stiff. Its usp though is that its a real exotic closely related to an actual race car, frankly its too heavy in road car guise.

3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    When did you drive one on the track? Or anywhere for that matter?
    And where did I say it was "great" on a track?

4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I surrender. You've got your agenda and you're running with it, FACTS be damned.
    GM OPENLY encourages tracking the car. They tell you what to do to set up the car for TRACKING. Tracking does NOT invalidate the WARRANTY. And youtube is LOADED with guys tracking their C8's. But they're all going to blow up according to you.:rolleyes:

MotorMouth, Dragster and Boomhauer like this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    it’s not personal.

Drove it last Friday and that one had a cage so was even stiffer.
    Heavy overpowered cars are not great on Track, they’re fun though.

the zr1 is not meant to be great o track it’s meant to be an Uber hard charging road car and it is/

seems like many who don”t go to a track or go there casually seem to rate a car based on How some magazine says it goes on Track. Or track prowess like a numbering lap time is a sales driver, so manufacturers game this by maki g act that can do one really fast lap. One really fast lap is very different to 29 coNsecutive and consistent fast laps Each hour 4x per day.

Buy what you like and what works for you where you use it.

if you’re buying a c7 zr1 or. C7 zo6 cause you think it’s going to be a great oN track and are actualy planing on using it consistently on Track you’re Making a mistake.

pleae don’t post some lightening lap of some magazine, that’s irrelevant to a day of hard track work. Horses for courses.

i have high hopes for the c8 zo6, yes it will have some limitations due to the platform compromises but it can be great.

The Vette team showed thatwhen left to their own devices they can make a great track Vette, the last one was the c6 z06 and actualy the c7 gs was pretty good too. The c7 zo6 we read in period was supposed to have an upgraded version of the c6zo6 motor which would have made it considerably lighter. The recession and gm copping out have it the heavier supercharged motor whic with its attention can’t cooling system weight made it a bit of a porker. The c7 zr1 in that regard is better because it does not really weigh more had no cooking issues and had more hp.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am sure we will see in due time how well they do from a reliably perspective, especially when pushed on a track. I know for example there are already transmission issues that many are having. I am sure it will get sorted down the road though.

7. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    "Many" transmission issues?
    That's odd. Corvette Forum doesn't seem to reflect that.
    And certainly the small block chevy is known for it's delicate nature.

8. Johnnya

Johnnya Rookie

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Johnny Amico
    Which corvette forum do you follow the C8. I’d like to pop over there and review the owners comments. I think it’s an interesting car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
  10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I just want GM to optionally offer a manual transmission.

Don't care for stopwatch times and the track.

werewolf likes this.
  11. Johnnya

Johnnya Rookie

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Johnny Amico
    I agree, I have a 2015 z/28 manual transmission and its very engaging and fun on the track.

12. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #62 ralfabco, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020

I hope the upcoming N/A Z-06 motor, is dumped in the Camaro - with a manual box.

A Z/28 sounds great.

My guess all Corvettes going forward will only have the paddle shifters.

Fingers crossed about the Z.

In the past I considered a no A.C. 14/15 Z. The prices appear to have increased.

Johnnya likes this.
  13. Johnnya

Johnnya Rookie

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Johnny Amico
    Yes, it seems like this car and many others have increased 10 to 20 percent since Covid.

boxerman and ralfabco like this.
  14. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    there is the voodoo mustang

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Boomhauer likes this.
  16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Sorry, the manual boat has sailed for Corvette. Lack of a suitable transaxle and the structural nature of the C8 backbone are two of the reasons.

When you have an hour to burn, this is a very informative interview with Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. (go to 48:39 for the manual transmission discussion)

BJK, ralfabco and Johnnya like this.
  17. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I can confirm the C8 is a GT, not a track car. There are much better choices for track use including my GT3. Although the C8 is reasonably good for an occasional track day, that is definitely not its forte. An experienced track driver will quickly discover it's shortcomings - weight, suppleness in suspension, brake feel, and brake pad durability. However, it's a really well built car. 2000 miles on my Z51 C8 and no glitches yet. No rattles, no squeaks, nothing negative at all. DCT is just about perfect with auto and manual shifts at the level of the Porsche PDK. Super comfortable and quick GT, excellent for long trips and as a daily driver. When price is considered, it's simply spectacular. As a track star, not really there.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

This is fair and essentially what I was saying in regards to adding money to make it a track car. As you said, it certainly can be taken on a track but so can a Camry but that doesn't make it ideal. This goes for many sports cars btw, not picking on the C8.

docapl and boxerman like this.
  19. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Look everyone can say what and believe what they want, but this kid is tracking the hell out his C8 and running great lap times.
    I may not be some stripped out race car but its not supposed to be either but I disagree saying its not a track car.
    Look at his times on any of his track videos, this recent one at Chuck Walla speaks volumes and he ran the hell out of the car in 113 degree heat all day with no issues.

20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    NUKED THE C8's BRAKES ON TRACK - time for an upgrade?

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is not a track car, its a street car that you can track for fun but it will require some upgrades to be a track car. i.e. suspension, brakes and tires. This is not insulting the car, it is what it is. Same as most production vehicles regardless of price.

Solid State and BJK like this.
  22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Hey, where's the Camry love? :)

Gh21631 likes this.
  23. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The C8 requires no upgrades to be a track car or to track it.
    I own a C8 and have already tracked it for several hours with no "upgrades".
    Is it some hard core race car no, but you can track the hell out of it, be very competitive (if you are a good driver) and still drive it home.
    In my book its a track car, not a race car but a track car that you can enjoy everyday as well.
    Look I get it, its not one of your elite car brands and that threatens some people but GM openly encourages tracking the car and gives you all the settings to do so properly right in the owners manual and all for a bargain price.
    I have over 6k miles on my C8 now including track time and not a single issue nor upgrade.
    I choose to celebrate that we have an American made mid engine sports car that you can take to track and drive the hell out of it and then continue to drive it to work everyday with more extreme versions still to come. :)

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am sure the hardcore versions will be more track oriented and a lot of car for the money, that will be interesting to see. My GT500 is finally built, I would consider this a contender to the C8. I still wouldn't call it a track car but I bet it does well on a track. It is heavy but from people I know that have theirs tell me it is super fun to drive.

25. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    How are your brake pads holding up?