Ferrari of San Antonio sold me a damaged CPO car, lied to me, refuses to make it right. | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Ferrari of San Antonio sold me a damaged CPO car, lied to me, refuses to make it right.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dgoldenz94, Sep 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

2020-2013=7 years not 9 and the car was and still advertised CPO it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Apologies for my wrong assumption, noted.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Every Ferrari I’ve owned was built the previous year of its model year. So 2013MY = 2012 build date. Considering we’re 10 months into 2020, and say a 2012 build, that would be 3 months shy of 9 years.

That’s said I’m open the the car being built in 2013, if so that’s still what, a 8 year old car? (Not 9) the point being is ‘it’s old.’

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    At one time, it was also always my understanding that cars past a certain age could not be CPO certified. Is this no longer the case?

CW

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Correct but its until i think 60k miles and year 12 or somehting like that

6. Natkingcolebasket69

I would say its old for a ferrari. I truly think F cars are incredible and complex but quality overall ... I mean who has a 2013 porsche with sticky buttons, or have to be worried about leather shrinkage, constant fault of the battery if not on tender like the FF, PTU issue, DCT etc... Also how is it that the germans were able to figure out a proper system that works to bring the seatbelt to you whilst 50% of the time in the FF it misses the seatbelt lol.
    I admire the 7 year warranty plan from ferrari and warranty offered but im hoping they improve a bit in terms of quality...Still love my FF though :)

Regular Guy 01 and paulchua like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What was mechanically wrong with it? CPO has two components, things that are technical and things that are cosmetic.

The technical things are objective; Broken AC, messed up transmission, engine fault codes, etc.

The cosmetic things are subjective, I just said I would be okay with the exterior cosmetic defects even as a CPO if the dealer gave me money to make up for it (which they apparently were willing to do.)

After all, nobody can say a broken engine is satisfactory, plenty of people could look at the 4 cosmetic defects and say it is, in fact I just did.

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Agree. The only one who got burned is the dealer whether or not justified. At the very least the shipping fees from the op back to TX, which in my view should be op's responsibility to cover. Who is responsible for return shipment cost is always arguable, especially in this case when one says the product purchased is satisfactory and the other side after using it for a month says it's not.

paulchua likes this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    that's right, I have that seatbelt thingy in my FF. Wait did they glue back the silver cover last time? I forgot to double check. No jokes here.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The crux here is really left to just one thing.

Should FSA have given the OP the shipping cost back?

I say no, simply because the elements that are the point of contention are subjective in nature. Put another way, the issues are all cosmetic-hence You can think of the $1,500 as the buyers due diligence in a way. He didn’t want to go there in person to inspect, so he had it shipped to him for personal inspection. It didn’t pass muster, and FSA as a good will gesture paid the shipping back.

Again, if it were me, I would be writing a positive review about FSA flexibility and their willingness to unwind a transaction where I didn’t do my own due diligence.

Edit: Actually what I would have done is also try to salvage the relationship, SFA knows now what I'm looking for and what sort of things matter to me, talk to the GM and try to make another deal.

Everybody wins.

jag-oo-r and IloveGT like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Good point ! They had another FF a bit more expensive that looked nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    While I agree that only the remaining economic issue is between FSA and OP, I think knowing that FSA would certify a vehicle in this condition is also useful information. I think it's also useful knowing that FSA took the car back and made the OP reasonably whole on the transaction. Generally, I agree that this probably worked out as well as possible.

CW

ScottS likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes! WIth an extensive dealer network too, I'm sure they could assist in finding another FF in better condition, knock off an extra $1,500 as another goodwill gesture.

Done.

14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I think we've beaten this horse to death and back many times over now.

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    265 posts in six days regarding lousy $ 1'500 ? Are you guys serious? Come on.

Marcel Massini

GatorFL, INRange, LARRYH and 5 others like this.
  16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Like I said, I've had eight years of nothing but good experiences with Ferrari of San Antonio. The three Ferrari Certified Master Mechanics in their service department are fantastic. They have a 100% success rate for correctly diagnosing problems for me.

I also bought a 1980 308 GTSi from them. But, of course, I inspected the car myself personally before I made an offer on it.

We should let this thread die, IMO.

17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the slap in the face, we needed that! :D

Over and out.

Robb, papou and IloveGT like this.
  18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Now that is the most mature way to handle it regardless of where we think we are in the food chain. Kudos to you, Paul, always call the spade the spade with such eloquence and patience, something I need to learn.

someone start the gofundme for the op's $1500 now and this thread should just die. I am out too.

paulchua likes this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    IloveGT, Quietriot, G. Pepper and 3 others like this.
  20. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    May I say that ironically the OP‘s information is more helpful to us than to him. For that we should be grateful.

His story provides insight into the process that occurs a dealer when we as enthusiast are not looking. That is called integrity. Mistakes can be made. This smells more than a mistake at this point. Why?

1 CPO confers value. Average cost 20k difference in price. Does this mean a buyer need not be careful? No but the selling point is you don’t have to look carefully, we did. In our community buying from a dealer means something and adds value.

It is surprising to see the state of this car. Probably should have auctioned to begin with. So -why is the car being retailed at fair market value for a lower mile, better condition car?

2 The fact that this car is back on retail and CPO is troubling. And not contestable. It is what it is. Why would an AD take a car with this many issues and try in short order to re-retail it? It is not up to standard. Cosmetic or mechanical. Nope.

3 If our dealers who WE trust with our business treated us this way, would we persist? If the perfect Pista bought sight unseen as many of us have or would were filled with paint correction or blends or chips in the CF wheels when described as perfect, would we feel cheated ? We pay FMV for the endorsed condition and if the condition is different, or not as described or alluded to by an AD certified car..., we would feel cheated whether we looked first or not. If you pulled the engine and found it was replaced without disclosure, you would feel cheated. The principle is the same.

As CW said and I agree, if you take this perspective you have to agree with the principle of the OPs complaint. Not the manner but the principle.

I hate to say this but I respectfully disagree with Marcel. It’s not the 1500. Let me represent that what the OP said was true is true for the sake of this question- Can a dealer (in the great state of Texas ) be held accountable for his description ?

Turns out in Texas, yes. Words in a commercial transaction are held to a higher standard by the Texas deceptive trade practices act than mere conversation and perhaps to a higher standard than a private seller. Unrefutable.

Should the OP have seen the car ? Yes. He missed out on one of the most fun things we get to do- the hunt and the fulfillment. But I find by not seeing the car, he accepts certain risk, but not all risk, not by Texas standards. And by not inspecting prepurchase, does he then make the dealer not accountable for their spoken and written statements?not at all. I have a legal ruling to confirm this principle.

Anyway, this guy will be turned off on Ferrari forever which is sad. The FF is an amazing car. Why chase him off calling him a Porsche guy or other horrible names. He learned a 1500 lesson. Let’s help him to help himself find a better car and join our community.

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    So my 8 year old Nokia 920 Windows Phone beats them all. haha. But it all depends on the generation and specific model of phone. The iPhone 11 Pro camera is stunning.

22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    What part of, "let this thread die" is difficult to comprehend? :)

INRange and Boomhauer like this.
  23. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Apparently every word of "let this thread die" is difficult to comprehend :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well I’m on both sides in this issue. One I don’t trust used car salesmen period. I’d always inspect a car in person or pay someone that’s reasonably credible to do a remote inspection.

I won’t even trade a car in at any dealership ever again, taken it in the shorts too many times. In my opinion I will choose how I take it in the shorts by selling to an individual. The dealer did unwind the deal, though they sure took their time. In this situation 1500 bucks and a few insurance payments are pretty insignificant compared to paying for the 100k car and the repairs out of pocket. And the information provided and the evidence that the car is back on sale for more money without disclosing the damage informs prospective buyers to take caution with this dealer. The dealer with holding pertinent information is damaging to the dealership, and the brand. If they at least disclosed the damage you could make an informed decision and negotiation. I agree that even 100k is overpriced for this car.

I also agree that if a car is CPO from a brand like Ferrari or Lambo, ect should carry a lot more weight then your average Chevy. And even at 40-50k miles and the age of the car this is more then your average damage to an F car. It shows the previous owner or owners cheaper out on those specific repairs. What else did they cheap out on?

I say take your lumps, search for a new car and take more precautions. Good luck.

dgoldenz94 likes this.
  25. Lou D

Lou D Karting

May 16, 2020
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lou Dell
    Everyone in this transaction should have a certain amount of integrity.
    This dealer fell way short <period>

Texas Forever, ScottS and dgoldenz94 like this.