What to use on leather | FerrariChat

What to use on leather

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by nsxbill, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nsxbill

nsxbill Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    The latest: What are we all using on our leather seats and other leather? I understand the leather is coated so Lexol or whatever may not be the best?

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
  3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Lots of answers and experts in this section.
    You can also try a search here as well.

4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Gliptone is a good product. Just bought and tried Dr. Beasley leather conditioner. Leaves a nice matte rather than shiny finish.
    Seems like a good product.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Honestly I bought Gliptone based on recommendations in other threads on this sub forum and didn’t like it.

I’ve tried several brands of leather conditioners and keep going back to Zaino leather care. Simply put, It works and smells like leather. And simple to use.

https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ifeelfree0 likes this.
  6. tvg

tvg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2010
    I still use Leatherique. I've used it on old and new leather and love it.

020147 and George Vosburgh like this.
  7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Leatherique is still the standard in the industry. It's a two step process, well worth the effort.

020147 likes this.
  8. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    Yes, Leatherique is excellent.

020147 likes this.
  9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    So what is the procedure for using Leatherique?

I found two bottles in my garage cabinet of the restorer and cleaner. Just be 10 or 15 years old so I don’t recall the best way to use it. My leather is in great condition, but obviously needs to be “fed”.

I’d rather ask Ferrari guys than google and get instructions from someone using it on their Honda leather.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. tvg

tvg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2010
    Esoteric Car Care website has a great video tutorial on using Leatherique

020147 likes this.
  11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That's where I first learned about and then I talked with Todd when I had my car there. In reality I put the cleaner on and let it sit for 24 hours. Getting off with the second the conditioner (2nd step) is a big job! The results are worth it!

12. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    Connolly Hide Food.

clean512 likes this.
  13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Seems like Leatherique would be the go-to option for severely neglected leather. I can't see using it for regular leather care if it takes 24 hours to do its magic. I'm caving and will try the Griot's leather care since i use some of their other products.

14. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    It doesn't need 24 hours - the recommendation is a few hours in the sun so it can sweat dirt out of the leather.

Rubbing the restorer into the leather doesn't take long as you just wear a rubber glove and do so. Then after a few hours you spray on the cleaner and wipe it off with some cloths, of which you'll need a few. This bit takes a little longer as the sweated-out restorer feels sticky before removed and you will probably need a second go to make sure you have everything out of the seat corners etc, not that this is a big deal/job.

I've used it before to make really dirty cream leather look like new, and also brought slightly dry leather back to plump life. It's really top stuff. Plus I guess useful for helping prevent leather shrinkage on the dash etc. At least, so far that seems the case!

15. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    bball16 likes this.
  16. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    FWIW I just go back after I’m done applying the conditioner and use a microfiber towel to wipe off any excess on the non leather areas. Seems to work fine for me.

So as mentioned above, I got some of the Griots leather conditioner and it is nice to work with. I’ll use up the bottle but after countless brands I’m going back to Zaino. It does what Griots did but you can’t beat the true leather smell that just adds to a freshly detailed interior. No affiliation whatsoever. Everyone has a personal preference and this one is mine.

https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

17. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Ditto. I have used Zaino Leather in a bottle for over 11 yrs on my cars and they all look and smell great. I also use the Leatherique 2 step process 1-2 yr. Zaino is great for leather maintenance. The Leatherique is geared towards older leather and rejuvenating yet. My cars are in the 2005 era so it is probably overkill but I get pretty anal when it comes to leather maintenance

18. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    cant endorse this enough. Outstanding product.

ScottS and jjason981 like this.
  19. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    A third for Connolly Hide Food, rubbed in with warm, clean hands. You’ll still need a leather cleaner though.

20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I just finished to two day process using Leatherique and am very happy with the results. I applied/reapplied the Rejuvenator over a period of 48 hours. Used Pristine Clean and warm water to clean the seats afterwards and the results are amazing. My seats had a glossy look to them prior. Now they are back to the original look of quaility leather and significantly softer. Took some time, but we’ll worth the effort.

ifeelfree0 and tvg like this.
  21. 308 GTS QV

308 GTS QV Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    My seats have only been treated with Lexol since new, almost forty years now, and never dyed. They look great, most would say near new, but I thought I’d give Leatherique a try given the positive comments on this site.

I saw some had problems with the Leatherique application when too hot or too cold, so I applied it during ~50 to ~80F days expecting it to take a few days. Nothing special. Applied the Rejuvenator, waited until the next day and did it again. The seats, especially the driver side, showed how/where it worked. Most of the seat needed another application after the first day, then big areas on parts of the seat the second day, then spots, and so on. On the fifth day the Prestine Clean took off the excess using a towel with no drama. I didn’t see any white stuff or grit or grime or dye or goo come off, so I think that says more about the high quality of the Zymol I've been using more than anything else.

The seats, however, look remarkably better than I expected. Much more structured and supple. You can tell this is what they use at places like Pebble Beach. I suspect it’s all due to the deep conditioning of the Leatherique versus surface conditioners. I don’t know if Zymol or another high quality conditioner will penetrate as well as Leatherique, but waiting fifteen minutes certainly won’t do it.

Given the great result, then next project is taking off the door panels so I can apply Leatherique to them. Patience appears to be the key. I’d suggest the 16oz size to start. Highly recommended!

tvg likes this.
  22. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  23. 308 GTS QV

308 GTS QV Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    #23 308 GTS QV, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    I see my error. Only Lexol on the leather. I have used other Zymol products and they have worked well.

24. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Thanks for the clarification :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    I have used Zymol Treat for 30 years on my GT4, GTC, Boxer, and later modern models and have been pleased with the supple and original finish.

Bob in Texas likes this.