430 - Enclosed Trailer Sizes | FerrariChat

430 Enclosed Trailer Sizes

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, Sep 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I’m in the process of seeking an enclosed trailer for my F430. I try to avoid paying for more than what I need, considering the limited usage it will get. A friend of mine who’s fairly knowledgeable on cargo trailers recommends a 24’ to have plenty of space; and says it’s a more standard size for resale in the future. I’m fairly certain a 20’ will work and he agrees that would be the minimum length he’d go with. I’m curious if anyone has gone with a 16’ since our cars measure about just over 14’. Want to get a few opinions before going with a larger size. Btw towing will be with F250 diesel so less concerned about weight.

Anyone willing to share their experience?

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    It's more about access than length. For example, an 16' open trailer is easy to use because it has access to get into and out of a car as well as to tie downs in the front and rear of the trailer. An enclosed 16' Cargo trailer on the other had that was not specifically designed for a car is almost impossible to use. It would need a side door and a front door to make it usable.

I have owned both. The last thing you want to do is go cheap on a trailer that is carrying your $200k car.

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  3. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
  4. DrPaul

DrPaul Karting

Dec 27, 2018
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Paul M. Strickler
    Width is more critical than length in my opinion.

5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

That’s the feedback I was looking for, thanks!

Thanks for attaching the pics, that’s very helpful. Very nice setup btw. I was also leaning towards a plain gray/silver colored enclosed trailer sized at 20’. However, most places seem to require ordering the build, and 24’s are already on the lot. Still, I think 20’ will be the way to go. Luckily it won’t just be for the car, we do a lot of moving so it will minimize a bunch of one way uhaul rentals.

From my understanding 8.5’ width is the standard for anything hauling a vehicle. I haven’t looked for anything narrower, and I’d rather pay extra for unused width rather than unused length.

I wish there were some better deals on gooseneck enclosed car haulers. Not looking forward to bumper pulling anything having been used to my fifth wheel setup.

INRange likes this.
  6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

@F612 BTW, as far as the straps go, do you do the wheel straps (that go over the wheel) or some other way to tie down the car?

7. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I pull the car onto the front stops and attach a strap to the tow eye in the front.
    I’ve towed thousands of miles tied down like that.

I use my 2017 Ford Expedition with a turbo V6 with the factory frame hitch.

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  8. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Try to get extra width in between wheel wells.
    and if you’re a 5th wheel guy already stick with it.
    And buy used— amazing quality trailers for sale on Rennlist.com and Pelicanparts.com.
    ATC and Intech are the most desired trailers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I wish I have another inch or two and I’m wide already and I’ve scuffed my bumper tying down. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Red 27, Bryan S, VAF84 and 1 other person like this.
  9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  10. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I've been in the market for a enclosed trailer and agree 20' would be the min length...
    Question for you trailer owners above what is your method of getting the vehicle up and in.?
    Drive and climb out or winch it up and steer.?
    I would Love to find a decent used one with a premium escape door that makes it so simple and easy..!
    Thanks..

VAF84 likes this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

This week I purchased a barely used 2020 20’ Haulmark Transport. Got a great deal on it from someone who used it once. Has a vent on top, finished interior, v-nose, and 48” RV style side door, 2 - 5200 Lb axles with brakes on both. Even matches my car (silver). Currently I’m using it to move a bunch of stuff to Louisiana, but ordered the e-track so I can start transporting the car with me. I will try and get pics once it’s all set up. I don’t do any hardcore track days (extra wheels/parts/etc) so for now I’m glad I went with 20’ vs 24’ since the trailer fits in my driveway when I need to keep it there for short stints. We’ll see once I get the car if it feels tight.

@Flyingbrick242 - I’ve seen some ramps that are like extenders. I attached a pic of one I saw at the Ferrari track event. I saw this ramp on a few trailers. I got my trailer for sub $10k (used), but you will get close to $20k if you want a true race trailer where the area above the wheel well opens up so you can open the door all the way. I’m guessing climbing out the window is the more likely scenario. If I keep this long enough I’ll go with the winch, which I’m sure is the best option.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    VAF84, Sounds like you found a smoking deal look forward to more pictures...I've been looking for a while for a used one with a premium escape door they are hard to find.
    Congratulations and enjoy.!

13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Get the largest trailer you can store, tow and afford. They get real small when you start putting cars and other items in them.
    I’ve had enclosed trailers, toyhaulers and open trailers and Ive always wished I had more space.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Where are the pictures???

15. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Texas Forever and Manda racing like this.
  16. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Beautiful!

VAF84 likes this.
  17. Bryan S

Bryan S Karting

Apr 22, 2021
    Bend Oregon
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Was size trailer do you have? My car is 488. I am looking at 20 or 24. With side door over trailer tires. I am concerned about weight mid engine placement for the 20 length. and placement of 488 car door to open door inside side door. i was planning on raising trailer floor for more clearance for 488 doors. Can you help? Thanks Bryan

18. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'm not sure where the side trailer doors are located and how that would impact positioning, but I'm very happy I went with the 20ft on the F430. Just makes things a lot easier for mobility, not to mention easier to tow now that I'm towing with a 1/2 ton instead of a 3/4 ton pickup.

Manda racing likes this.
  19. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    After a very long search I found the exact trailer I wanted..2020 24' EZ hauler..all aluminum with premium escape door.
    Makes getting in and out of the vehicle super easy...highly recommended. Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84 and Red 27 like this.
  20. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    and obviously your drivers door opens above the fenders? very nice, I tow with a MH so I try to stay closer to 20--22

21. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    The fender that is shown in the picture is removable so the drivers door is basically unobstructed..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VAF84 likes this.
  22. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
  23. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I feel 20ft would be the minimum length to consider. That should give you enough room to center the vehicle properly over the axles. I personally have a 24’ ATC full aluminum trailer and love the extra room. ATC trailers are worth considering if utmost quality is a concern to you. There really are some very sketchy trailer manufacturers out there. Etrack is also a necessity. I prefer to strap over the tires to avoid scratching my wheels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login