Annual Service Cost for Early California | FerrariChat

Annual Service Cost for Early California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BillyD, May 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    What should the yearly service cost for a 2010 California. Car has under 10k miles.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I had a '10. Oil changes were $750 or so at the dealer. If you have a dealer nearby get with them for a guess. Brake pads should last 50,000 miles I think. Mine wore early with 2.5 hours on the Mid Ohio race course. Pads are $3,000 for a set + labor. Front tires lasted me 15,000 miles, rears 7,000 miles. Look for my early posts, 2010-2012 to see what problems I had. They were mostly under warranty and if your car has the same, they probably were fixed under warranty. No serious issues at all!

3. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I doubt an oil change is $750 as it was only $400 for my F355.

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It's more than an oil change at the annual ... oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filters. At dealer prices -- $12 a quart for oil, $150 an hour for the tech (two hours). My recent free service would have been $675 including tax going by the receipt.

Some years would include a brake flush and coolant flush, too, those would be a bit more.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why would you question Rick's number if he has owned 3 Calis (current one is a CaliT) and you have not owned any? However, this is not to say service costs may vary from dealers in different parts of the country.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Mike, I'll try to find a copy of the invoice if that works for you. It is rather complex ... I bought a brand new 2010 California. 12,500 miles or so later I had the oil change. It did include a an air filter or two, oil, oil filter, labor, and possibly although I do not remember, brake fluid change. It cost $750 (roughly, it may have been $749.99 or $758). The second oil change 12,500 miles or so later (both happened well within two years because I actually drive my Ferraris daily, cost only $700, $50 less ... I am sure that an oil change in a Prius is much less :D

To Billy, trust me, the expenses are WELL worth it. The drive is amazing. Hopefully you enjoy attention, the Cali attracts plenty, it is great fun!

7. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle

that's ok - I'm sure $750 probably included a brake flush as well. I know the Ferrari service guys are fanatics about fresh fluids, having owned three of them.

Dorin Candea likes this.
  8. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Two dealers near me, nearest said $750 for oil change, $400 more if brake fluid needs changing. Gear box fluid change was in the $1100 range.
    Other dealer not knowing mileage or history said $3200, that's why I originally asked. Must have been anticipating doing the whole enchilada.

9. macdonjo

macdonjo Rookie

Dec 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    J M
    Annual is just fluids then? So we're looking at under $1000 annually?

Dorin Candea likes this.
  10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yes if no other items are required during the inspection of the vehicle. At least that is what i was told when i called to inquire about servicing a Cali.

11. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    2010 Cali with 12.5K miles. Purchased at 12,100 miles 2 months ago or so. Local dealer (Ferrari of Houston) has some history on this car with last fluid service at 10,800 miles about two years ago.

He recommended the hole enchilada for me at $3525 - no mention of engine mounts though

Here Is his quote:
    According to the maintenance history that we have on file here, your California is due for a combination of everything that was due at the 4th year, and the 5th year. The total for this maintenance will be 3,525.00 and will include the engine oil & filter, pollen filter, engine air filters, drive belts, brake fluid, spark plugs, gearbox fluid and power steering fluid.

So far - I have not done anything - but soon plan on changing engine oil. I used to do it on my Maserati and plan on doing it myself. According to manual - all others are "Inspect and check" Just concerned about gearbox fluid - how to check it. I do not track or race. not too much spirited driving either, just enjoy the occasional 0-60 :)

12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Id suspect you would about half the estimate if you did the work yourself, maybe more if you shop around for the parts online. Seems that the price you were quoted is due to the last annual service having been 2 years previous. You should let the dealer handle the F1 service, if i remember correctly you have to have a leonardo computer to do the F1 service. Nearly all other service you can do yourself, but i would make sure to visually inspect the brake pads, and the engine mounts just to be sure if you do service your car yourself just to be in the habit.

Also i think it is a good idea to have the car inspected at least annually by a dealer mechanic or a competent independent since they know what to look at and usually give a detailed list of what needs done. All the fluids and filter excepting the F1 arent that hard to do, and plugs assuming you have a couple of tools to do the job.

13. MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul L
    I just picked up a 2013 California with 8,200 miles and called Ferrari of Washington D.C. to get an idea of what my annual service cost will be with them since the 7 year maintenance finished up last year. For the basic annual service including oil & filter, brake fluid, pollen filter and normal checks, they quoted $2,300, which is way higher than the $750 others on here were getting back in 2017. This did not include any belt service or plugs. The service tech said it was the normal base service.

I know its been a few years since this thread was active, but going from $750 to $2300 seems to be a bit inflated. Does this seem right?

BLAMPEE likes this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds a tad high, but you are in a more expensive part of the country...T

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Get a quote from a good Indy like Sphere Motorsports......remember dealers are focused on repairing the newer cars, and at some point you are basically “making” them work on older ones and they charge appropriately.

16. MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul L
    To me it just seems like an extreme difference in cost from what others were getting at $750 at dealers 3 years ago even with the DC market being a bit pricier. I'll check to see what reputable exotic shops there are in the Maryland/DC area. Thanks everyone. Any other advice is appreciated.

BLAMPEE and Sammi like this.
  17. MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul L
    As a follow-up on this, I called Ferrari of Washington again and $2300 was for a "full service" that included putting nitrogen in the tires and a bunch of other stuff that feels unnecessary. The normal service with oil change, brake fluid change, top-offs and general checks is $1250. While it still seems a little ridiculous, this is more in the realm of the research I had done on here. Wanted to clarify in case this thread shows up on a search for anyone down the road like it did for me.

18. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    Loudon County Exotic is fantastic. Call and speak with Greg.

19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    $750.00 for Oil Change and Brake Flush sounds fair
    $2,300.00 For All fluids, filters, engine drive belts + Actually performing charging and cooling system tests, nut& bolting the suspension, running DIES test on the entire car, treating seals and gaskets, software updates, etc... also sounds fair.

It all depends on on proactive you want to be with your servicing.

S

20. D-Gunz

D-Gunz Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David W.
    how often have you guys changed the rear differential fluid? I just hit 47k on my 2011 Cali - owned 3 years (have done 27k miles myself!) - I just had the oil changed & filter (myself), BMC filters serviced (myself), cabin filter(me), and had the dealer do the coolant, brake fluid flush, DCT transmission / gear oil, and new (2) belts replaced.

Do you guys change the power steering fluid too? rear diff?
    thx
    David

21. Mark Penniman

Mark Penniman Rookie

Apr 19, 2023
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Male (M)
    2013 Cali with 6,400 miles. Going in for annual oil change and cabin filter at Prancing Horse Ferrari in Nashville, quoted $1200.