355 - Eight years with a 355. | FerrariChat

355 Eight years with a 355.

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Sep 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It's the end of the 8th driving season for me since I got my 355. I thought I go through all the head aches it has caused me over those 8 seasons. We all know that these cars are pretty, but if you read the internet, they are expensive to maintain and suffer all numbers of problems. So what's my story? I bought a car with a fresh major being performed by a talented mechanic in Southern CA. To pass CT emission, it was necessary to fit a pair of Nouvalari sport cats and an intermittent coolant temp sensor was replace. And I found that the oil pressure sensor was also showing intermittent behavior, and replaced it. That was the first month. Since then, over the remaining 8 seasons and 11k + miles, let's check the records. Excluding oil and fluid changes and some optional work that had nothing to do with drivability, like hood struts, here are the problems I faced: 1) Replaced O2 sensors on both banks (it's 2.7 car so that's just 2, about $60 each); 2) Replaced inner CV boots on both sides (about $10 each); 3) Replaced a bad (intermittent) ignition coil on the 1-4 bank ($65); 4) Replaced the MAF on the 1-5 bank ($325 for a Bosch rebuild unit); 5) Fixed a broken connection to the 1-4 bank crank sensor (only my time). That pretty much covers it. Things that haven't happen? After the belts haven't broken, the water pump (original) doesn't leak, it doesn't drip oil on the garage floor, the original headers aren't cracked, it hasn't experienced a host of electrical "ghosts" due to the "poor" Ferrari connectors in the wiring harness. To be sure, I don't abuse the car. I don't track it; I shift around 6k because it's more fun going through the gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, than to run it up to red line; I pretty much drive it like any other car. I figure I'll go another 2 years on the belts.

Robb, ttforcefed, baschul and 18 others like this.
  2. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    I love these posts where the 355 bad press is challenged. I have mine for almost 10 years, tracked it few times and only did one major belt and all 2 years after purchase and overhauled the radiators due to corrosion. Didn’t change any thing. All OEM parts. The car feels and sound terrific and I recon that it will continue to do so for a couple more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I love all of this except shifting at 6k all the time - I absolutely love ringing mine out. I'm also at altitude and need all the revs to get power out of it.

I too think the service issues are overblown and I think other people are starting to get that - and it is why prices are rising. I love my 355 and think it's going to be a lifelong member of my car family. It's gorgeous and the perfect mix of modern and classic.

dvb247, tres55, crinoid and 1 other person like this.
  4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Mine would be fairly similar
    Add a 600 dollar f1 pump
    And about 15000 dollars of stuff it did not need
    And I have had my car over 15 years

I am not counting the problems I created because not fair to the car

I generally shift at about 8500 on the tach

5. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have owned my car 9 years.

1 engine out service.
    Custom stainless headers
    Evoflow hi flow cats
    Tubi muffler
    1 battery
    1 thermocouple

No regrets

Mmckee, bcar1 and crinoid like this.
  6. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    if you can DIY, maintaining a 355 should be pretty reasonable since everything is so well documented.

if you don't DIY ( such as myself), but you can read, research, source parts on your own. then all you need is a good trustworthy mechanic.

but my opinion, is the 355 or similar era ferraris, even if not a DIYer, does require some involvement/attention from the owner.
    to pay attention, check the oil level periodically etc.. if someone plans to own a 355, but is type of owner, who doesnt open the engine cover to see whats there, then I dont know.

I am exactly at 6years of ownership. with one major under my belt
    and have done to the best of my ability to sort out the usual/main stuff, and my car has not let me down..

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I would appreciate it if you guys would stop spreading the truth about maintaining them until I have found a replacement example to replace the one I sold a few years back.

Thanks guys.

Mods please delete this thread.

mclaudio, dvb247, Beetle and 8 others like this.
  8. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    #8 Sj_engr, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    It is a cult. (of nice looking car owners)

9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Social media/bad press make these cars way worse than they are. Personally I think they are well built mostly trouble free and an absolute buzz to drive. 7 yrs with mine and I maintain it.

mclaudio likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    “I shift around 6k”

John. Common now. Nothings gonna break shifting at 6k.

tres55 and MAD828 like this.
  11. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    16 years with mine. Do everything my self with all my machines.
    Has never been an expensive car to own, with only parts to pay for.
    This car is a keeper in my family.

Robb, mclaudio and Beetle like this.
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Exactly. :)

And besides, if I rev it higher the exhaust (Tubi) irritates my tinnitus. :(

taz355 likes this.
  13. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    Im going on give or take 12 years now...

I've done 2 MAJOR MAJORS (called that because i do go over board when the engine is out) and swap / upgrade anything that i can.
    Outside of those and oil changes, the only "issues" i've had were a low charge on the AC (recharged) and a slight leak in my steering rack which was easily fixed.
    All my other expenses were "choice" upgrades like a full exhaust, challenge grill, LED headlights, etc.

Its been 15k miles (27k on the car) and counting... each one of them bringing smiles and memories that are priceless.

mclaudio and MAD828 like this.
  14. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
  15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    there all ways a show off in the group

jimmym and jeffdavison like this.
  16. Cliffy Spider

Cliffy Spider Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John C Wegener
    This thread couldn’t make me happier. I am 1 year in into my ‘95 spider. I did the major immediately as I bought a driver with 40k on it and now I plan on enjoying the thrill of driving it for years.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jeffdavison likes this.
  17. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    I'm the poor sap that bought a bad apple. Immediately after purchasing, I began to notice an oil leak. I took it to the local trusted tech and found out the leak was coming from the head gasket (eek!). That then lead to a compression test which found two cylinders with very low compression. Motor out, heads off, and discovered two cylinders with scored walls, five bent valves, and bearings in terrible shape. Motor rebuild it is! Rebuilt heads, all new cylinder liners, bearings, and the list goes on and on. It's costing a very pretty penny as you can imagine, but I'm looking forward to a long-term keeper with many miles of smiles to come :)

Qavion likes this.
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You will be lovin it soon enough
    Cheers

19. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    And my Coil-On-Plug conversion I did on my F355 in 2004 is still going strong :)

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I remember that
    Right on

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  22. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Im 7.5 years. Replaced the cats and 1 cat ecu in year 1 (Fabspeed re-cored my original cats), did the CV boots and bearings in year 3, replaced the bypass valve with Gothspeed in year 4. Nothing else of any substance. Oil change every year, coolant and gear oil every 2-3 and thats it. Front bumper needs a re-spray and I will get around to the engine out in the next year or so.

23. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Super cool feedback in this thread.

24. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    7.5 years for me that started the F355 clock.

I can't speak to the YouTubers and their crazy Clickbait headlines other than they are normally buying the lowest price cars with the most irresponsible previous owners, with no intention of possible long term ownership = likely bad ending.

We have had four F355 along the way so there was a lot to experience. We still have two. 97 GTS and 95 Berlinetta.

No engine issues or CEL's on any of the cars. All with good compression and leak down. We have driven all the cars long distances and have never had any break downs or even any issues to fix on the roadtrips.

The 97 had a burned out cat. That is really all it has needed except a battery and annual fluid changes. It will be getting an engine out very soon, but I don't expect any surprises. It has been the least expensive car in our garage. The bmw's and Mercedes have cost more to maintain.

The three other cars needed all the sticky interior pieces taken care of, the cv boots, motor mounts, trans mounts, engine lid and hood struts, wheel centers and finishing, alignments, and air conditioning items of some sort. You will likely always need to replace an ashtray and some vent on these cars...

New headers replaced oem on both 95 as precautionary, and exhaust changes / straight pipes on both 95's and challenge car due to authenticity or preference. Other items we have had to work on was cleaning eco pins, a radiator, thermostat, batteries and tenders on all the cars, and small interior part replacement. They have all needed some of the body panel screws replaced. Some may find bumper or rockers needing a respray. You may find rock chip issues...

Rest of the work was generally not required but preferred... As we all know this primarily can add to heavy spending on the cars, but once its done, its kind of done...

I would not hesitate to recommend an F355 to a new buyer as long as they have the patience to go through the cars and commit to becoming a knowledgeable owner for the long run. Having a sorted car is not that hard, and that along with the owner's "involvement" will ensure much more rewarding adventures.

Robb

GSF355 likes this.