F12 stock exhaust | FerrariChat

F12 stock exhaust

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Chadly, Sep 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Having my F12 for a week now and putting a couple hundred miles on it I finally quit ignoring the ol' 458 and took her for a rip today. Is it just me or does the 458 sound not a little but a LOT better than the F12? The F12 has the novitec switch and I have the exhaust coming out the outer pipes but I can say I'm slightly disappointed in the sound of the car. I thought everyone said the V12 sounds the better? Does anyone else have both cars and can attest to this? And if this is very much the case what is the easiest way to make the F12 sound as cool as my stock 458???

SAMSAMT likes this.
  2. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I forgot to add the other option that I am just crazy and can't tell the F12 is as loud and sounds as cool but I can't tell because the engine isn't right behind my head and is blocked off from me by a firewall...

3. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    I think it comes down to what resonates with you (no pun intended).

I had a 458 Italia and an F12. Both stock and I prefer the F12 sound. 458 is louder and more raw if that makes sense. F12 has an awesome sound quality that I love.

Chadly likes this.
  4. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I think you nailed it. The F12 sounds amazing. Its just smoother and quieter. I guess the sounds match the looks of the cars. And I guess in my 40 years young age I still prefer the loud and obnoxious. One of these days I'll grow up :D

5. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    I prefer the f12, I’ve owned several V12’s BMW 850 CSI and a Jaguar e-type, they have a special sound. That being said, the f12 does sound a little meaner in race mode than it does in sport.

When you crank the f12 up towards the redline, it is a symphony

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

sampelligrino likes this.
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Get an X pipe and Capristo rear box's, you won't be needing any more volume than that.

7. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    I have an F12 with a capristo xpipe and switchable novitec rear boxes. Sounds epic with the valves open even at low revs and 20 mph, but can then be calmed down again when the wife is in the car. I would highly recommend.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. jaapio

jaapio Karting

Feb 19, 2016
    Bruinisse, the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jaap
    I came from a 458 as well, and the first 1000 km's I regretted/doubted the purchase of my F12, due to the lack of excitment mainly because of the sound.
    I now use the car mainly in race mode because it makes the car sound nicer on the overrun, also as soon as I am out of the city I open up the valves.

Next step for me this winter will be to change over to Novitec catless downpipes, the remainder of the exhaust system will stay OEM.

I do not recommend the purchase/change out of the X-pipe and back boxes, as there are very little gains to be made soundwise.

9. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Strange you think there is very little difference with xpipe and back boxes. Any particular reason? Mine sounds very different to stock with those changes.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jaapio likes this.
  10. Phillychoi

Phillychoi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2020
    Lansdale, PA
    F12 stock exhaust doesn't give any Ferrari-like raw sound. It's very boring IMO. After I changed only downpipes and X-pipe and I was shocked by how much difference they made. Totally different animal and pure F1 sound!

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Me too, if you put the windows down its deafeningly loud, but if you close the valves it is very usable for long journeys with my wife in the car, but she does get a shock if I hit 4000 rpm. It makes a huge difference to tone and volume.

jaapio likes this.
  12. SulaimanF12

SulaimanF12 Rookie

Aug 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sulaiman
    I had the same issue when i got my F12 however i immediately unplugged the valves and it sounds much more aggressive and so much better especially on low revs. Definitley recommend doing that for a first step

13. jaapio

jaapio Karting

Feb 19, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jaap
    Before I made my choice to go for decatted downpipes I visited another F12 owner who had purchased and installed an IPE set of mufflers and X-pipe, and I founf that there was no noticable difference in my stock F12 with the valves open and his one with the valves open.

But I should have mentioned this is just my opinion, after being a bit disappoined with the F12's sound experience.

Rabies likes this.
  14. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Aha - I think there is a bit more oomph from the Capristo/Novitec setup for x-pipe and rears vs the IPE. Decatted downpipes is a step even further for sure, but I've heard that the full Novitec setup is a bit too much to live with if you do a lot of miles as I do

15. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I am thinking exactly getting those two items. Can you post a video of your car? Thanks.

16. Phillychoi

Phillychoi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2020
    Lansdale, PA
    I have few but files are too large to upload.

Attached Files:

17. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D

Will the sound be higher pitched with hi flow cats or the boxes, or x pipe? I do t necessarily want it louder since I have the Forza controller and am in the Midwest. I want a higher pitches with slight increase in volume. What’s the best combo recommended?

18. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D

Hi there, can you elaborate more. I can’t find someone with modded exhaust and can’t really tell from videos. How was sound quality pitch and volume difference vs stick? I have the forza always open for valves and w windows up I think it’s not loud enough but when I floor it I under a bridge I change my mi d.

19. jaapio

jaapio Karting

Feb 19, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jaap
    If you want higher pitch then the X-pipe and or boxes will not make a big difference I found, the cats are the biggest restricting factor for a higher pitch, but fully catless is pretty loud, the maybe going for 200 cell cats is what you want.
    But I have never heard those myself in real life, and the sound on the various youtube movies is different from the sound in real life.

Also there is a difference in what situation you are in, as you mentioned you hear much more exhaust sound with the sound reflecting of buildings or in a tunnel.

I am exactly in your situation, when in a tunnel at 2nd or 3rd gear and then slowly let the revs build to 6k plus I don't need anything more, but out in the open I want it to be louder.

I have decided and ordered the catless downpipes, but do realize I might find it too loud and remove them again.

have you seen this film ?,

20. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D

Yes I have. I am just not accessible to a real aural experience and the YouTube videos- I just don’t know how accurate given the factors of camera right by exhaust, or where is camera filming from road etc...

Only thing I know for certain is the decatted IPE n largo clips are insane and high pitched and I can’t do that since I DD it.

21. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    the F12 has way more sound dampening and the engine is up front rather than directly behind your ears.

also sounds like you want a loud exhaust note which is not what Ferrari V12s are about. that exhaust note is for the spectators, what we as drivers hear are the harmonic sounds of the engine best experienced with windows up and radio off.

here is a clip, turn up the volume and enjoy, music starts around 30 seconds.

22. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
    Im installing catless downpipe + x pipe

Im thinking to install rear boxes, will it make it louder or it will make the sound more pitched?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Are you crazy? The 458 sounding better? It might be louder, but it sounds synthetic and artificial. The F12 has a full bodied roar of an engine. The 458 is just a high pitched noise by comparison.

If you want more, just throw a Novi box, x pipe and 200 cell cats on it. It will blow the doors off the 458.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with artificial. Your old lady must not have the sweet bolt ons my old lady has ;)

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My "old" lady is apparently a bit younger than yours. Still all firm and all natural;D

Chadly likes this.