Market positioning of the Portofino and Roma | FerrariChat

Market positioning of the Portofino and Roma

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SilverLeaf, Sep 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    I initially posted this in the Roma Spider thread, but thought it might be a good discussion topic for the general forum. Here are some telling statements attributed to Ferrari's head of marketing on the positioning of the Portofino and Roma...

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/ferrari-roma-is-not-closely-related-to-portofino-m-insists-italian-firm/

Ferrari’s head of marketing says the Roma is not nearly as closely related to the Portofino M as people seem to think.

Speaking to the global media during an online Q&A session attended by CARmag.co.za, Enrico Galliera, Ferrari’s chief commercial and marketing officer, said it was “very important” he clarified the differences between the two models.

“The Portofino M is not the open version of the Roma, exactly as the Roma is not the closed version of the Portofino,” Galliera said.

“They answer to different positioning and we believe that they are perfectly designed in order to co-exist in our product range."

Despite the Roma and Portofino M sharing a wheelbase (and now, thanks to the latter’s mid-cycle update and adoption of the “M” suffix, the 456 kW/760 N.m V8 engine, too), Galliera says they are quite different.

“This is clearly visible, even in the development of this car. The Roma is basically featuring components, starting from the chassis and the platform, which is 70 percent from the one of the Portofino M."

“The interior design, the exterior design, the HMI system, the aerodynamics – everything is different in order to deliver a different positioning of the car and a different answer to a different need."

“So, yes, we believe that they can easily co-exist in order to achieve different targets and so satisfy different profiles," he said.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2020/09/18/ferraris-new-portofino-has-more-power-8-speed-gearbox-and-costs-4-more/#7be0143767d1

According to investment bank UBS, Ferrari aims to grow, not through expanding volumes within models, but rather by introducing more models to attract a broader group of new customers. The Portofino is aimed at buyers between 35 and 45 with young families. The recently launched Roma is aimed at younger buyers between 30 and 40.

Attached Files:

• pvr.JPG
      pvr.JPG
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow! That's a very narrow niche!

anunakki likes this.
  3. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    That seems like splitting hairs to me, and an over-parsing of the market. In my mind, the Porto and the M are attractive to people (regardless of age!) that want a sporty GT with the emphasis on sport, but need a modicum of practicality that rules out the 488/F8 variations. Whereas the Roma is for people who want a sporty GT with the emphasis on luxury and style, and don't care that you can't drop the top.

There, I've simplified and clearly articulated their marketing strategy for them. You're welcome, Ferrari! :)

4. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    My wife has. Portofino and I have a Roma currently under build...I am 48 so I have already screws it up ;)

DefunctNeurons, FastHK and russellmcg like this.
  5. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    Man, I am no longer in the targeted age group and bought a California T HS about two weeks ago.... Might I be in an extended midlife crisis? :eek:

FastHK, energy88 and russellmcg like this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My wife thinks the F thing is more a second childhood than a midlife crisis!
    T

7. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Tomc your wife must have been talking to my wife. When I (rather gingerly) suggested a Ferrari may be the next car her only response was to roll her eyes :rolleyes: and mutter something about boyz and their toyz. Fortunately she quite likes the Porto we got:)

tomc likes this.
  8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My wife is 60 and loves her Portofino. She longed for one since she test drove it but she was only 58 then.

DefunctNeurons and tomc like this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow, it's been two years since you posted those pics of her smiling ear-to-ear in the Porto!
    Time really does fly when you are having fun.
    T

wrs likes this.
  10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    You're probably in this Ferrari age demographic:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. f1dino

f1dino Rookie

Nov 29, 2019
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Dino Leone
    Target demographic 30-45 years old? Really?
    I’ll wager that that age group makes up for less than 10% of overall sales of these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DefunctNeurons and ryalex like this.
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    At 65, I prefer the Roma to the Portofino. How does that square with Galliera's analysis?

I also recall Ferrari's words "I make cars for young men that only old men can afford".

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  13. SCJ264

SCJ264 Rookie

Jul 4, 2019
    East Coast USA
    Full Name:
    Stephen Jehle
    Yesterday I was able to test drive the Roma at my local Dealership. Compared to my 2019 Portofino I was impressed with the acceleration and the instantaneous shifting in sport mode. That being said my personal taste was is not for the all glass cockpit look, even the famous Ferrari steering wheel is all glass look/display. I think a screen tachometer as opposed to the real thing took away from the vehicle and the vertical iPad looking display interface was not as driver friendly as the typical horizontal style in the Portofino. In Auto mode the 8 speed transmission really was not as good at lower speeds as the Portofino, but the extra bit at high speeds was there for sure.

For me personally, I love my Portofino and this car while visually beautiful is not a car I would pay the sales price for. In the end it didn't feel like a Ferrari to me, or as my friend in London told me "That's the best looking Aston Martin Ferrari ever made".

Attached Files:

14. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    I saw one being staged for delivery while dropping my car off at the dealer for service. I'm sure its lovely to drive, but not really my taste.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah I'm calling BS on that too. I'd wager money that the typical Roma buyer is 56-62, weighted around 60. And same for the Portofino.

488/F8 buyers must be the youngest.

16. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Imagine they made the Roma naturally aspirated with a six speed manual

technom3 and tomc like this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    More likely 50-somethings who wish they were 35!
    T

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    And a V12, please!:)

19. avd

avd Rookie

Feb 1, 2012
    Exactly, this is just "smart" marketing. They marketing department is fully aware about the age of their buyers.

tomc likes this.
  20. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Well, I fit into both of these age ranges (37, no kids) and I have zero interest in either car. Very happy to stick with my 488 GTB, which is surprisingly refined and far more practical than it looks.

I also much prefer the analogue interior to the Roma's Millennium Falcon cockpit. Not everyone born after 1980 is as obsessed with SCREENS EVERYWHERE as Doug Demuro. Will take a Rolex over an Apple Watch, thanks.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice! My faith in the future has been restored!
    T

AD211 likes this.
  22. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    A year ago wife and I took delivery of a 2020 Portofino. We’ve owned a bunch of Porsche’s and Aston Martin’s (she just ordered a DBX) but never owned a Ferrari. I can’t say enough good things about this car and the entire buying and owning experience. We’re going to test drive the Roma because why not, but I honestly can’t see us parting with our Portofino for a while. And with Ferrari’s seven year maintenance plan and extended warranty options, it makes more financial sense to keep it.

Twosherpaz, 456-boy and Y not like this.