575 Paint correction and detailing | FerrariChat

575 Paint correction and detailing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Giallo27, Sep 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks great.

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Great result. When I see the later model Ferraris, it appears that the paint on our oldies have less orange peel and is more flat and shines better!!

3. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Looks very nice indeed!

Is paint correction and detailing the new term for what used to be called polish and wax? Either way, I am keen for my same colour (I think - TdF) 575 to look like this.

5. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, the paint correction is a bit more machine polish to take out all the swirl and micro scratches in the finish and then was is more along the lines of ceramic coatings, but given a more extensive approach and improved materials, then yeah, pretty much. Same, only way better.

6. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    Well, polishing and waxing is a term a bit short.
    Here you will find a video of the initial paint correction to remove orange peel; after that came the detailing. Both Long processes that shouldn’t be mixed with polish and wash as you can see.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B4lErbsIdGZ/?igshid=1gmtn1ae983fg

F456M likes this.
  7. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I think the paint correction itself was 18 hours. The enamel application is pretty short relative to the paint correction that one does prior to.

Funny story last week when my wife was having it washed. My wife noticed some guy upset and complaining to the Manager about something while motioning toward my wife. The Manager came by told my wife that he was upset that he “paid the same amount” as my wife but his car was not as shiny/clean or whatever...the Manager said he knew it was coated, etc and was chuckling.

True story.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    wow, 18 hours. That is in another league.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I see. Pretty impressive. I may have one done after this year’s cam belt service on mine. You pay all that money for a new strip of rubber..with this at least your 575 ends up looking fantastic also.

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    When I repainted my 550 in 2016, I made clear that I wanted to sand down the clear after the paint was done and that I wanted extra much clear. That normally makes a bit of orange peel which is almost a good thing when you sand it down. So spent about one week doing the whole car. It takes patience and precition in every step. But then you get that Rolls Royce finish... And that process is something you have to do one time. Then it is easy to maintain the shine because the surface is completely flat.

Themaven and Laserguru like this.