car design thread | Page 434 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I had a 2004 MINI. There's still quite a size difference between that and the M3. There's no way an M3 drivetrain is fitting in either a classic Mini or the First Generation MINI. :oops:

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    And, speaking of size...

Unless that Sketch Monkey car is the size of a 5-series, it doesn't look like there's much room for the heads of any occupants. o_O

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Or leg room!

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not much surface complexity can be a good thing. Have you seen the new Supra?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Qvb likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ahem, the wheels, those damn wheels...

energy88 likes this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It would appear that the Chinese want to take design in a totally different direction
    "Chinese Great Wall showed a spectacular sedan in retro style model name Chaopai C号牌 C plate in English Debuted globally at 2020 China Auto at BeiJing this is just a mock-up demonstrator with a well-developed design, but no technical stuff'll be for sale in 2022"

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Too bad they didn't go back to the old boxy BMW style.

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    "The problem with the 2021 BMW M4 isn't the nose"

Actually, Mr. Monkey I beg to disagree with you.
    The front end IS the problem.......

10. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I've never watched his videos. Everything he said is ridiculous. Why does he have so many views?

anunakki, tritone and jm2 like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I like him for the 'entertainment factor'
    Some of his analysis are spot on...............others, not so much. :(

But then the old adage: Give 10 designers the same design brief.......and you'll get 10 different answers!

anunakki likes this.
  12. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Who would have thought; the reincarnated 2021 Studebaker Lark...

Texas Forever, tritone and jm2 like this.
  13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Although I like this car, I would call it "cute" and designed to appeal to women.

As for the retro style, I don't believe they took it from anything Chinese. Looks like they took DNA from a Studebaker, a Rambler, and a Buick from the late 1950s.

In fact, the first produced Chinese car was the 1959 Hongqi (translated = Red Flag) produced by the government. It is said that the design was inspired from a 1955 Chrysler:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone and jm2 like this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I KNEW I had seen that design before!

330 4HL and energy88 like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Now that’s a great history lesson!

tritone likes this.
  16. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    This week from Peter DeL at AutoExtremist
    WE HAVE REACHED THE NADIR OF DESIGN. AND IT AIN’T PRETTY.
    [​IMG]MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2020 AT 10:38AM

By Peter M. DeLorenzo

Detroit. As longtime AE readers know, design is my favorite part of this business. There is nothing like being in one of the design studios and smelling the clay, seeing future vehicle explorations on wall after wall, and, of course, seeing advanced products up close and in the flesh.

The design function is one of the most creative parts of this business and, I would argue, probably its toughest. Designers inhabit a strange Twilight Zone where they’re touting upcoming product introductions with the media that they’ve been living with for four years or more, while at the same time they’re working on products that won’t be revealed for at least four (or five) years down the road.

It has been put forth many times that automotive design is a fashion business, and in many respects that is very true. In the 1950s, the great Italian design houses had tremendous influence on the automobile business. In fact, GM Styling legend Bill Mitchell would often park the latest Ferrari in the design courtyard at the GM Technical Center so his designers would be inspired. It often worked, too, because during Mitchell’s reign GM Styling burnished its reputation as creating some of the most influential mainstream – and successful – vehicle designs in the world, including the Corvette Sting Ray, Buick Riviera, Cadillac Eldorado, Oldsmobile Toronado, several Pontiac models and many, many more.

Design is still very much a fashion business, but like everything else, today is markedly different. There are design schools all over the world churning out gifted future designers who have been given the kind of depth and breadth of experience that in past eras was very hard to come by. To say that today’s young designers hit the ground running is an understatement. In fact, many are able to make meaningful contributions right from the start of their careers.

As in past eras, trends come and go, but it is amazing to see certain design “signatures” – whether they originated in Korea, China, Japan, Europe or the U.S. – sweep the business all over the world seemingly at the same time. Much of this can be attributed to the similar teaching methods and influences that young designers are exposed to coming up. The other reasons have to do with the fundamental parameters of the design package itself, meaning the specific drivetrain requirements, the passenger accommodations, the vehicle segment, etc., etc.

That all seems rational, right? I would agree that packaging dictates much of the look and feel of today’s vehicles, at least up to a point. But then again, how do you explain the look and feel – and the design sameness – of the vehicles below? What, do designers plug the parameters into a computer and out pops the basic shape and they go from there? Because that’s what it looks like to me.

I mean, really, how can designers stand behind this work and call it… good? I can just hear them now… “Ahem, given our Belchfire EV’s advanced powertrain and the passenger and cargo packaging requirements, we feel this ‘four-door coupe’ design presents the finest expression of our brand, blah-blah-blah…” Or something like that.

Ah yes, the “four-door coupe.” This is the design trend originating in Germany that emerged from a battle of one-upmanship between BMW and Mercedes-Benz. And in design terms: it sucks. There is no such thing as a “four-door coupe” of course, but thanks to those two German luxury manufacturers we’re all stuck with this design abomination until further notice.

So, take a look at the cars below – forgetting the price points – and revel in the relentless sameness and the bland-tastic design executions.

(Audi)
    The Audi E-Tron Sportback: If looks could thrill. Not.
    [​IMG]

(BMW)
    BMW was one of the co-originators – along with Mercedes-Benz, unfortunately – of the “four-door coupe.” This is the X4 M.

(Mercedes-Benz)
    The Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 Coupe: Just because it has a three-pointed star doesn’t make it good.
    (Porsche)
    The Porsche Cayenne GTS Coupe: We couldn’t find a shot pointing in the same direction, but you get the idea. Even Porsche couldn’t resist, apparently.
    [​IMG]

(Ford)
    The Ford Mustang Mach-E: Not a shred of originality in sight and it looks even more uninspiring on the road. And Ford is calling it “A Mustang for the Next Generation.” Ugh.

(Photo courtesy of greencarreports.com)
    Putting an exclamation point on this discussion: The Tesla Model Y.
    Where is this all going? Nowhere good, apparently. The various design houses around the world have to shake off this relentless tedium and get back to the inspirational creativity of designing compelling automobiles. Because if they persist on this current path they might as well just turn in their pens and acquiesce to being replaced by computers. At least then we can rage at the machines instead of lamenting the fact that the design craft just ain’t what it used to be.

And that’s the High-Octane Truth for this week.

17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I wonder if there is much influence that came from Packard? Story goes that one of the Russian cars ended up with the tooling from a Packard. This Hongqi seems to have a windshield and header that is more Ford/Packard than Chrysler.

energy88 and tritone like this.
  18. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe you are correct on the Russian car thing.

I've been on a quest to accumulate diecast model cars for my train/village and am concentrating on the 1930s and 1940s. Consequently, I have come across many Russian cars that look like they belong in that era, even though they might have been produced a decade later. For example, here is a 1958 Russian Pobeda versus a 1950 Packard:

jm2 likes this.
  19. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Nobody seems to have high expectations for Gen Z:eek:

tritone likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Talk about tip of my tongue.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And then, there is the Supra.

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Going by latest releases from both brands it’s clear BMW only bought Rolls to ensure they have the biggest grilles on the market

jm2 and Texas Forever like this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    But they'll have stiff competition from Lexus as well!

Igor Ound likes this.
  24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Alien vs Predator?

jm2 likes this.