Cali T Binnacle removal | FerrariChat

Cali T Binnacle removal

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by James cln, Jun 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    So does ANYONE know how to remove this thing ?? Have asked repeatedly to no avail. Some folks have told me to pull / push some how to get this piece off . I have pulled as much as I can and seems to be fastened in the back somehow - has anyone removed one of these?? Any help would be really appreciated. james in Tx

2. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Image Unavailable, Please Login On the center piece, over the tach, you pull up at the end furthest from the steering wheel, that will then allow you to pull the piece toward you to separate it from the gauge housing. I have not tried this on the piece over the speedometer. May be the same.

3. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hi Mr Ster , Man I pulled and pulled but it wouldn’t let go ! Thanks so much , james

4. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    Were you able to remove that piece? I am wanting to take that and the reciprocal piece on the left side off. After unscrewing the left bolt, I couldn't take the piece out. Was worried I would damage it. I was going to unscrew the bolt on the right side like yours but didn't since I had no luck on the left.

5. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    Subscribing, need to remove mine as well. Center piece on top is sticky!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hi Andrew once you undo the screws under the bezel - then push it ( the middle plastic bezel) back a little so it clears the speedometer housing and slide it out. Then what I did was used some plastic wedges like you use on upholstery and wedged them under one side at a time on the left and right leather covered pieces. They snap in at the front there is a snap male piece going down into a snap fitting and another at back . If you use edge you can find where it is - takes some force to snap it apart but it will release . Not an easy thing to do til you figure it out but it will come . Wish you great success - let me know if I can help more, james in San Antonio :))

7. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    Thanks James. Confirming these instructions are for the Cali T correct? I ask because when you say push the middle plastic bezel, I do not believe I have this. I have a centerpiece which shows my rpm. And on the each side I have the leather pieces which I am trying to remove.

Kevin GILLISPIE likes this.
  8. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Check youtube. The piece over your tachometer comes off without tools. The part you’re trying to get off is attached to the instrument cluster with screws from underneath. You’ll need to remove the full cluster to get it off.
    Def.

PS. Sent you a PM with video link

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Yep I should have said tach housing .To get the leather pieces on each side off , just have to use the wedge and they snap out, on the Cali T :))

whatheheck likes this.
  10. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Cali T, D'Oh, I should have read the question properly. My reply refers to the original Cali. The clusters look similar though. Cheers anyway.
    Sent from my SM-G960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    Awesome, thank you sir!

Anyone know of a leather glue I can use? Need to rebind a small part of the leather on those removable pieces. I was thinking of a cement type glue.

12. jopke

jopke Rookie

Aug 18, 2014
    I have used Barge contact cement on leather and it worked great. It wasn’t an automotive application though.

13. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    To be Clear, on 2015 Cali T, to remove the L & R leather portion of the Instrument cluster covers,
    1. Remove screw on front underside
    2. Pry off the individual leather covered dash pieces, without removing the center tach cover?
    Thanks

whatheheck likes this.
  14. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Naw , you should remove tach cover . It just sort of slides out . Push back on it toward windshield to get it free from front of tach then wiggle around and it will come off - hope this helps. James in San Antonio Tx

whatheheck likes this.
  15. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    I have used just regular contact cement that comes in a small bottle with brush in cap from Lowe’s on leather On other cars . Just apply light coating on both sides press together - will never come apart! :) james in San Antonio Tx

Andrew Pour likes this.
  16. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    Hi all,

I am attempting to remove the gauge cluster on my 2015 California T, the black framework is sticky and I also want to remove the black piece that is over the tach. To get the tach cover out do I need to remove the side leather pieces first? Just trying to get the sequence in order so I don’t break anything!

Also prior posts refer to a wedge, do they mean plastic pry tool?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The left and right leather covers on my 2016 Cali T have shrunk on the edges so I need to remove mine soon to get them recovered with a new leather piece.

I found this video on the internet for a Cali, not Cali T but Im thinking it should be the same approach or similar. Hoping someone that has done it can chime in on proper removal too Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login .

18. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’ve done it on a ‘13 Cali and it looks to be the same set-up. There are two pointed metal prongs going straight down into a metal receptacle at the 10:30 and 1:30 positions closest to the windshield. Getting leverage is the problem, you have to work your fingers under the edge and pull up hard, and I mean very hard. I had to use both hands on each side, one at a time.

whatheheck likes this.
  19. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sorry, that describes the larger turtle-back removal, the piece under the binnacle. To remove the binnacle you pull up at the back edge (closest to the windshield) then slide it toward you. You still have to pull hard, but not nearly as hard as on the lower section.

whatheheck likes this.
  20. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I did this repair recently to the cowling over the instrument cluster, the glue I used is in the last photo. It was recommended as the best in a consumer test I read.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Bill Phillips likes this.
  22. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed