360 CEL Troubleshooting | FerrariChat

360 CEL Troubleshooting

Discussion in '360/430' started by Pantera1523, Oct 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    Anyone have any ideas or direction to point me in resolving this?

1999 360, CEL showing... It has gone off at least once recently but had come back and seems to be staying.I used a code reader and get P0449 Evaporative Emission Vent Valve Solenoid Malfunction.

I also checked the Emissions Tests and the only one that is showing Incomplete Status is the Evap System Monitor. I'm not due for emissions until 2012, but I hate seeing that CEL. Other than removing the bulb ;) any help would be appreciated.

2. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Did you check your gas cap if it is screwed on correctly and tight? If a gas cap leaks air for not being scewed on properly it will cause the emissions cel warning.

3. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I have checked the gas cap for tightness and fit... At least once I could have swore I heard it leaking/hissing while the engine was running.

I talked to Daniel at Ricambi and a replacement is special order and around $400. If it fixes the problem then I am not worried about replacing it... I guess I should break down and order that new one.

Thanks for the response.

4. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    There's also a vacuum pipe that runs under the throttle bodies which has been known to chaffe through and cause a leak. You have to replace it and reposition the line.

I believe it's bank 1 (passenger side) which causes trouble most often.

5. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #5 mrpcar, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think this is what Josh is talking about.

I am still really puzzled at how can Ferrari let cars leave the factory with a bracket rubbing on a vacuum line, and this happened to quit a few of them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    Hmm.. thanks for that info.. I will have to check mine to see if it is rubbing.

7. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    #7 Pantera1523, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So fast forward to 2012 and now I am due for my emissions in May and I never got this resolved. So I decided to attempt to fix it by replacing the evap solenoids.

So I get in there to see what kind of trouble I have gotten myself into and when I did I found a wire not connected just laying there. I am assuming it was not hooked up at some other time that work was being done in there but I am not sure. I looked around everywhere in the area and cannot figure out where this connector goes. I'm really hoping that finding a home for this connector will fix my problem. I find it hard to believe that there would be a wire with nothing to connect to... Though I could be wrong.

It is the wire with the grey connector in the attached pictured. For reference this is right behind the passenger seat on a 1999 US model 360.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Happened to me yesterday. While driving, the CEL illuminated. Car was running fine and nothing off on the gauges. When I got home,
    I checked and the gas cap was loose (how'd that happen?)! Rebooted the car and 2 secs after starting, CEL turned off.