512TR steering rack removal | FerrariChat

512TR steering rack removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JIMBO, Sep 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I've just passed 800 miles since the major and this car seems to be running well. And NO leaks (yet).
    I've noticed a little play in the steering wheel. I seem to remember shimming the pinion with the rack in the car many years ago to tighten it up. Is this possible? I see nothing like this in the WSM.
    I also have another complete rack out of a 6000 mile car. Is there any trick to removal/replacement? It looks pretty straight forward in the service manual, but this IS a Ferrari. A quick step by step primer in rack removal would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jimbo

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have not worked on a Testarossa directly. But in my experience, a manual steering rack is infinitely easier to remove than a power steering rack on a Ferrari, any Ferrari.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- You sure it is not just tie rod ends? A lot easier to replace than fiddling with the rack, especially since if tie rods is the problem, it is wasted effort.

4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I have not checked yet, just enjoying the drive too much.