Distributor Oil Seal Install Question | FerrariChat

Distributor Oil Seal Install Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by fiatbrett, Sep 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatbrett

fiatbrett Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brett B
    Hello,

When replacing the distributor oil seal on the intake cam on an 85 308QV, do I install the seal on the distributor plate while it’s removed from the engine? Or should I install the distributor plate and then install the seal while on the engine?

I believe there is room to install while on engine but concerned driving it on there may loosen the sealant on the valve cover ends. I did remove the distributor plate with the seal still attached.

Thanks.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s easier to install the seal with the plate off the engine but then you have to replace the plate gasket.

Brian Harper and waymar like this.
  3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    iirc the seal is directional on my ‘82 308GTSi

4. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Install the seal in the plate & then push it over the end of the cam.

HOWEVER, it's very, very easy to turn the lip of the seal inside out when you do it & then it will leak again.

I cut up a strip of thin plastic a couple of inches wide ( ie out of a coke bottle or similar,) wrap it round the cam and then slide the seal on over that. Once it's in place carefully remove the plastic. Smear of oil round the inside if the seal first as well to help it on.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

5. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
    When the shaft has to much polish from the old seal, you may roughen the shaft with fine sand paper. It will help the seal to keep the oil inside.

6. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Yep but I wouldn't use sandpaper, a scotch bright pad will do the job.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

enzo52 likes this.