McLaren 765LT | Page 8 | FerrariChat

McLaren 765LT

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Thecadster, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I really like the way the car sounds. I was worried about that. I found the 720S to be very subdued. The 765LT is far more menacing.

3. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Base $358k, as delivered $435k. ($77k options)
    Roof scoop + engine window is $45k

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I love how you can buy nicely optioned c8 for price of options alone on the euros

greg328, nicholasn, boxerman and 3 others like this.
  6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    yeah, same with all other supercars (and with MSO and Tailor Made, the sky is the limit)
    is there a brand with a longer 'standard' options list than Porsche?

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    45k for the scoop is obscene

boxerman and Igor Ound like this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    that includes the engine window ($8,470) which is required with the scoop.(see 3:38 in vid) see options price list at 8:50 in vid

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Those two options are way over priced IMO, I skipped both.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Smart move

11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Can't say I blame you. I skipped the roof scoop but couldn't resist the engine window despite it being over priced.

Thecadster likes this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Likewise. I look at the engine window as essential to the car. A very unique feature on a very unique car. I waited almost 2 years for my 812, but this 4-5 month wait for the 765LT seems much harder.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  13. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    765LT and 620R slower than 720S/600LT :confused:

Igor Ound likes this.
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Different days different drivers different times.
    What it tells me more than anything is different electronic calibration between a 720 and 765 because at these power levels esp with turbos thats the biggest differentiator.
    The 765 calibration could be different to make the car feel edgier, or work with a more grippy tire than a trofeo like a true slick in which case how es a 720 and 765 compare on slicks.
    Will a 720 or 765 both on trofeos and driven by a "gentlemen" ie a consumer driver have different laptimes, doubt it, the driver here would be the major limiting factor. 765 though seems a more raw out there focussed edgy street car, so depending on who you are a more appealing machine.

Lower down the scale 620 from what I've seen is a step too far in term of being a workable/useable a road car, 600lt a great sweestpot for a workable road car that still is fun on track.

Senna GTR with a pro driver who had lots of practice and on slicls ran a 2.21 at MMC, but radical does it in 2.19.

Point is that if its a car purely for track there are many faster better options than something derived from a supercar, but some supercars or near suoercars such as 600lt, pista, performante, 675,765 etc can be tremendous fun and comfortable on track, while still working just fine on road. Theres a sweetspot there for the right owner.

Currently I think 600, pista, 765 GT2 all hit that sweetspot of car used primarily on road but is raw lithe and hard enough to work on track here and there.
    That the owners will all be blown away by a semi pro in a GT4 clubsport on slicks is not the point. A few years from now these cars will all be superceeded in the track context by something faster, they will remain however as raw enjoyable road cars and thats where their future $ value will be derived.

Is the 765 the last of a line, hard to say. As others have pointed out a cash strapped manufacturer will keep producing versions of an existing platform as long as possible, future iterations may be better or not, hard to say. For sure though in the modern maclaren world the 600lt 675 and 765 are going to be seen as standout cars that future collectors can still use on road.

meanwhile if you have one drive it and enjoy it, thats what they're for. If it proves to have been an investment at some point thats a bonus. Nearly every car goes through a depreciation curve, at some point these will be purchaseble for less, whether thats 1/2 new msrp hard to say, so many factors.

As for hybrids, there are two types coming. One is an ICE with electric motors added to drive wheels, as per P1,918. The other aproach is what we saw in the la ferrari. Here there is electric flywheel assist to the ICE motor. Electric flywheel assist is used to either fill in the tq gaps in a highly tuned na motor allowing that mtor to reachh higher hp without the loss of low down power or elimnate lag and add power to a tubo motor. Flywheel assist would enhance an Ice experience and may not add much weight esp as the ICe motor can be smaller. For sure it will add performance. If a hybrid Maclren is flywheels asist v6 with minimal weight gain its experince and performance may both be better than the current crop of cars. No way to know yet.

15. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    The fact that the BS is 3 secs faster than the 765 (both cars being released in the same time frame), on a track that size, is the headliner here.

Igor Ound and Thecadster like this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Didnt watch videos
    BS?

17. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    1:43,3...Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series (Cup 2 R)
    1:46,2...McLaren 765LT (Trofeo R)

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thats really interesting and telling. Last time I was at the track about 3 weeks ago there was a regular AMG Gt and it was really moving. The owner said he had it as his backup to a 570Gt4 and had dinged the Gt4 so the AMG Gt was being used quite a bit over the summer and holding up just fine.
    That day the owners instructor was out in it and it was fast for sure, certainly running faster than most, but then thats driver too.
    Clearly the platform has potential even as a Fe car.
    New aston vantage runs the same motor.
    I can see that a big track would let the AMG shine.
    Shorter tighter tracks tend to favor shorter lighter cars, they also don't reward hp either

Below what a pro driver can do, I would posit that for the gentlemen driver the Maclaren may well be a more exoitc and raw experience than the AMG, but yes that AMG time is really impressive and kudos to mercedes amg. Its also a platform mercdes races and wins with, which helps development.

Well also see soon what a vette z06 can do. Supercar performance and HP has been increasingly democratized, the points of diffentiation are not necessarily laptimes and numbers, thats going to make differentiation and price uplifts harder for some exotic manufactuers and or make sound, style, feel and the intagibles more important.

In the 80s the performance delta Between a TR CT and say a vette was so vast that if you wanted the top tier speed, laptimes and handling you really had to spend.

Look at motorcycles, Ducatis main points of differentiation from a Yamaha R1 is not really performance.

With the coming of electric supercars diffentiation will be far more about the intangibles of design and feel than ever.

greg328 likes this.
  19. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal

Igor Ound likes this.
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Igor Ound likes this.
  21. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    ”You show up with money, and they will actually sell you the car, no special license needed...that’s crazy”. Yep, sounds like the perfect car to me.

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  24. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Have you seen the Fistral Blue 765LT in Charlotte yet? Supposedly it's the first privately-owned 765LT in America.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yes. I went and saw it a couple weeks back. Not sure what the current status is. I assume it sold. Mine is suppose to be here Jan/Feb.