Titanium Wheel bolts for 488. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Titanium Wheel bolts for 488.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rossocorsa, Feb 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When you look at the:-
    -cost
    -problems that you can encounter -the need for a particular quality standard etc
    -special torx bit to remove them

I just wonder is it worth it for the marginal gains .. ?

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

2. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    does anyone know what size wheel bolts for 20" 458 factory option forged rims?

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I do not think there is any difference between the different wheels as far as bolts are concerned, the same bolts are used for standard as well as for forged wheels I guess.

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Yes and no. On one hand, they're not. The tensile strength is the same. The difference is that the treatment really makes the surface a lot more wear resistant. Stress cracks and risers occur where there are sharp edges, pitting, nicks, scratches etc. The treatment prohibits these stress cracks from forming so easily. This is also a treatment used on gears, sprockets, bearings etc made from titanium to make them a lot more wear resistant. Titanium is hard and very tough in many ways, but it is also brittle and a poor shock absorber. Without treatment it's a very poor choice for wear items.

5. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    I need 5 but could but could go for a full set of 20 to get the newer captured washer design..... 5 are going to be replaced as part of collision damage repair, which is $1600+ from Ferrari. Car is an 09 F430 coupe with Challenge wheels. Am I correct that these will fit, and are the standard 6-point allen socket config Ferrari installs with the Challenge wheels? And your manufacturer and reputation are? tnx j

6. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Yes, These will fit the OEM wheel as well as the OEM Challenge wheels. Ferrari has been using the same one piece bolt design since the 360 Challenge cars. 17mm Drive head, 52mm shaft, 14mm x 1.5 thread pitch with a cone taper seat at the base of the flange. The 2 piece bolt change over from Ferrari was with the 458 and later models, still the same some size bolt.

Yes, we design them with the matching 17mm drive head. Out Kits also include the 17mm Alan socket as well as 2 Titanium wheel hangers for servicing.

And your manufacturer and reputation are? .... We stand behind everything we sell. Our manufacturer has been in titanium production for 15+ years. They produce everything from wheel bolts to Hardware and implants for the medical field to fine machinery parts. Internally we random test bolts at several independent labs to make sure the material meets the grade. All of the test meet or exceed the standard of the grade 5 titanium. Proper production practices for this material insures the best results and strength of the product. Rolled threads, instead of cut threads and heat forged material.

We, ExoticCarGear, have been in business for 6 years, our Titanium for 4 without any failures or fitment with this hardware. I have been a member here sine 2009 and my partner Glenn even longer. We have been a site sponsor for that time as well through ECG and Nouvalari )

David

7. old man

old man Karting

Jul 8, 2010
    Lets face it. A 488GTB weighs about 3,000 pounds dry and the wheels with tires are around 70 pounds each. It the bolts weight 2 pounds per 5 in high strength steel and the titanium ones tip the scale at 1/2 pound, even the unsprung weight difference is insignificant unless you are racing Formula 1. Better off forgetting about the cheese burger (bigger overall weight loss) and remember the weigh lose of removing the money from one's wallet. Love the car as it is a blast to drive and I'd gladly spend the money if the results could be felt or even measured.

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    TBH I'm not sure it's possible to feel the advantage of forged wheels compared to cast ones (one may select the forged wheels for the look though).
    Many people intensively tracking their cars replace the CCM discs by metal ones (heavier, then) and do not seem to feel the penalty.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Because of the leverage of the wheel rim weight (further from the hub), you can tell the difference between wheels that weigh 4-5 pounds less. But saving 1.5 pounds at the hub, probably not so much.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Saving such little weight in a 488 which has so much power reminds me of a scene in The Godfather.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

But hey I understand the fun of doing something that improves your car.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  11. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
  12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Is the final torque the same?

I think it is 65 foot pounds for the factory bolts

13. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    100 NM which is 74 ft lbs. I torqued them to 75

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yeah your right 100/75 pounds.

So are the nitride two piece bolt better than the Ferrari two piece bolt used since the 458 and onward.

Or do we not know the answer to that only the price difference?

15. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Who knows. My 458 bolts were 1 piece. All of my Porsche bolts (911, Macan, and Cayman) have been 2 piece. My only Porsche with 1 piece bolts was my 89 911 Cab. R8 V10 bolts are also 1 piece. I suspect that theoretically, the 2 piece are better since you don't mar the bolt hole but the 488 wheels I purchased were scuffed in the bolt hole.

In regards to nitride, don't know. All of my black lug bolts have been anodized. This includes the titanium bolts on my R8. The R8 bolt uses a standard socket. The Ferrari bolts use a 17 mm hex. This clearly makes them more difficult to steal.

16. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Exactly. If one can save a few pounds on each rim barrel or tyre, it's a significant gain. 1.5 lbs on the bolts? Not so much of a gain.

17. IMPEX4

IMPEX4 Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Full Name:
    Eric
    anyone know what the correct torque amount is for the 488?

is it 100nm as well?

18. IMPEX4

IMPEX4 Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Full Name:
    Eric
    yes it is100nm

19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i have a set of stock chrome wheel nuts for my 488 and dont like the look i ordered a set from ricambi im looking forward to them will give it a nice look

mdrums likes this.
  20. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Let me know if the Ricambi are 2pc and how the look when you get them

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  21. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    We offer 2 piece Titanium alloy wheel bolts in black and polished for the 488 and all other models.

Always willing to help fchat members.

Dvaid

mdrums likes this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I’ll pm you my number...might need some spacers and bolts if I stick with stock wheels...hope to get my car back from dealer this week from Novitec spring install.

23. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I have bought 2 sets from Autowerks. One a couple years ago for my 458 and one recently for my F12. I didn't buy them for the weight reductions. I bought them because they simply look much better. If you recognize the wheels on my cars you'll see the theme I'm going with :cool:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkdiablo33 and mdrums like this.
  24. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Chadly same here I like the look...the minor weight savings is nice but won't be noticed.