Testarossa Cambelt service | FerrariChat

Testarossa Cambelt service

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Jonny English, Sep 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm a new owner. My cambelts were done in May 2017 as part of a major rebuild. Since then its done only 200 miles.

A major indie has quoted £3.7K inc VAT for a cambelt service and recommends its done every 3 years regardless of mileage.

I have read all kinds of views on this and owners seem to say 3 to 5 years. Whats the consensus and any recommendations on where to get the work done in the UK.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think with so little miles and only 3 years ago there is no need now to change, except the engine is leaking water or oil over the belts.
    on my BB I changed last year after 12 years but only about 8000 km and the old ones still looked like new, also the bearings have been still ok without any sign of grease/oil coming out.
    so I suggest to change after max. 10 years when not more than 10.000 km or before when you reached those 10.000 km. but I will be not responsible when before a belt will get broken on your car ;)

Grease Donkey and Gary Sandberg like this.
  3. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

From the TR Workshop manual. I really like turbo-joe's advice. Finallly, find yourself a copy of the workshop manual (cheap enough e-copies available on-line), that will answer the majority of your questions and helps to really get to know the car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My TR's last belt service was 2014, and it hadn't been done prior to that for 9 years. Belts looked great. My advice is, if you don't drive your car hard, you can go longer. I think the consensus is that the belts aren't what wears out in a short amount of time; it's the tensioners

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

dkyranakis likes this.
  5. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you for all the posts. I decided that the only way I would be happy was to get it done. So its booked into Carrs in Exeter in a few weeks. At the same time the new sports exhaust will be fitted and a minor service as the engine is still running after only doing 200 miles so far since the rebuild in 2017! Unlike previous owners I intend on using my testarossa.

6. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    In this case I'd suggest to look at the "while you're there" items like:
    - fuel pumps
    - brass injectors (if steel is still present in your car)
    - relays
    - water pump
    - differential
    - break lines

(there are a couple of very comprehensive postings in the forum)

BTW: turbo-joe is a higly regarded professional Ferrari mechanic. If he would give me the advice to wait, I'd be happy :) and wait until something really needs to get done .... not in all cases a car runs better after a visit to a shop ;-) ....

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I will leave it longer next time. As a new owner I want to start with the car in rude health. I plan on using it unlike the previous owners.

Good point on the other things to look out for and they will be looking out for that although it had a major recommissioning at DK enginneering in 2017 and hasn't really been used since.

dkyranakis likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this would be for me an 100% to do job when the engine just is out.
    mel, a former TR owner, said always: it is not a question if the diff will break - it is only a question of when

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    a very true sentence ;)

Grease Donkey likes this.
  10. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    On the differential how would they know whether its OK or not?

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good question ;) next question please :)

even when it is broken you not feel always.

do a search for broken diff. once I have described that the diff is broken by turning the wheels and look how they turn. but even if the test will be passed it is not sure that the diff is not broken.

the most surprised for me has been the statement from newman on a 512BB. he has seen only that the diff was broken after he took the diff out. also not feel during driving anything.

but for sure I can say when gearbox oil is dropping on the left side of the diff then the diff is broken and also some more ;) and latest then you have to do something before more will get damaged, when not already damaged

Grease Donkey likes this.
  12. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Jonny,

... if I were you, I would:
    - drive the car, but not accelerate too much in 1st and 2nd
    - source a differential (or an option on one)
    - do yearly routine maintenance incl. break fluid.

Do all of the above in 3-5 years myself together with a top mechanic....

To obtain immediate peace of mind the only alternative approach could be: do it now for 10-20k, knowing that much of that money is going to be wasted on stuff that didn't need to be done...

Just my 0.02$.... no risk no fun!

Gary Sandberg and turbo-joe like this.