488 - A Disappointing Day | FerrariChat

488 A Disappointing Day

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Steveinfl, Sep 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    First world problems for sure - but need to vent.

Agonized over a 488 (I had a 458 a few years ago and was tempted to get another) and finally pulled the trigger. 2019 488 GTB with 2xxx miles. Found it at Ferrari of Washington (in VA, not WA state).

After lots of back and forth and paperwork and shipping logistics etc. It finally arrives in SC at my home today.

Guy goes to start it to get it off the truck - no joy.

Come to find out - it didn't start at the dealer's either...when they were loading it. They had to jump it. BTW , the car had been on the maint. charger in their dealership the whole time. So, to me - that's a big red flag. It shouldn't have left their dealership that way - they should've figured out the issue. I think the battery is bad for whatever reason. The driver had a jump start box but it didn't help.

So - now the car heads to Ferrari of Atlanta .. never got it off the truck - to get this resolved and back to me to try again. Sigh.

Keeping things in perspective - I get that I'm a lucky SOB - just truly annoyed after sending them all of that cash that I get a car that can't make it off the truck. Damnit.

2. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Appalling service, they should have fitted a new 3rd party battery at least.

tres55, Gh21631, whatheheck and 3 others like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sorry to hear. Chalk up to bad dealer/employees and do not do biz there again, let people know they should stay away.
    It adds up over time, reputations matter.

4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Did you call the dealer and report the problem? It would seem that they can arrange something with the Atlanta dealer so you are not out of pocket.

5. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Oh yeah, of course - I won't be out of pocket for anything. BUT - I don't have my damn car...that I paid a lot of $ for a week ago....argh. Sorry...again, venting :)

DefunctNeurons, alibo70 and Art138 like this.
  6. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Sorry for your experience.
    I understand your position and something like this should never have happened.
    I hope the dealer comes through in the end and makes this right for you.
    I know that you shouldn't have to wait but just imagine the day when you get it back and it is 100%.
    You might want the shop in Atlanta do a "once over" to see if there are any other issues that were missed.....

Oh, BTW,
    Congrats on your new baby!!
    Hope to see pics ASAP!

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

Rexcat458 and Steveinfl like this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is a good place to vent. That really sucks. Nothing like getting yourself psyched up to have such a let down occur. Keep your head up, you'll be behind the wheel in short order I assume.

Alexcle, sampelligrino and Steveinfl like this.
  8. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Ferrari of ATL
    Service is excellent.
    Ask for a full serious look at your car and have them fix it to preclude more pain.

docf, Avia11, SECRET and 3 others like this.
  9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    great service place,they did my major and classiche on my tr very pleased with them

ryalex, SECRET and Steveinfl like this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    That blows! The dealer should obviously cover all the costs and give you something else for you trouble.

Steveinfl likes this.
  11. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    sorry to hear .

upon my second or third day of 812 ownership the elec system went haywire , turns out there is a rotary battery cut-off switch that wasn't fully closed by one click.
    3000 miles later not a problem , hope your issue is as easy...

Thecadster, Gh21631 and Steveinfl like this.
  12. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    You don't seem to vent too often as you have been a member since 2016 and posted only 20 messages.

I hope you get your car back soon. It's not costing you anything else than patience. I know how that feels, been there :mad:

Steveinfl likes this.
  13. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Me too! thanks!

14. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Yup - a total lurker! Guilty :). This is my fifth Ferrari and I enjoy all the information and knowledge I get here and I'm happy to support the site. I guess I'm just not very "social". And, frankly - I haven't had a lot to contribute - just happy miles across all of them with nothing of note to report really. I tried to be a bit more practical this time and bought a 2020 Porsche Carrera S (just sold to make room for the 488) - WONDERFUL car - with one huge issue...it's not a Ferrari.

Just happy to be back in the fold - well...soon anyway.

VAF84, SECRET, Mikael-F360 and 2 others like this.
  15. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    488 has very large battery draw when the car is off. If the battery is marginal it will go flat and not start the car even after a short time off the charger. A new battery will solve your problem. Experience around here with several 488 is that the battery lasts about three years if well maintained. Interstate AGM and you will be good to go. Hope everything works out soon.

Steveinfl likes this.
  16. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Makes me feel better about the whole thing! thx.

Ash Patel likes this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Plain and simple , dealer was a jerk. God cant believe the audacity of the dealer ! They know , truly know the issues with the electrics.

IMO my advise , GET A NEW BATTERY. Learn how to get to the battery. Always have it on the tender. BUY A STARTER . You WILL need it one day.
    Make sure your foot is depressing the brake properly when starting.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Enjoy your 488 GTB you will love here.

And don't forget to show some pictures

SECRET and Steveinfl like this.
  18. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Sorry to hear this. My 488's battery died after only a few months. At least dealer picked it up & returned free of charge. Hopefully they get it sorted quickly.

Steveinfl likes this.
  19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Man, what is it with some F dealers this month?!? Dodgy CPO cars, DOA batteries, etc. It's like quality control got the 'rona or something. Hope you're racking up the miles soon...T

20. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Brutal. Whatever it takes to get the car sold and off the lot....it’ll come back to bite them. Be sure to write a nice passive aggressive review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steveinfl likes this.
  21. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    I'm all over that!

22. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Unforgivable at the prices we pay for these machines. That’s amateur hour stuff.

SECRET and Steveinfl like this.
  23. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Agree - and they tried to put blame on the poor transport driver. I was having none of that. They just wanted to be rid of the car and make it my problem to call roadside assistance and get it serviced somewhere. Honestly, the more I think about it the more angry I get. They're making it right at no cost, but...it's kind of hard to recover from this.

steven t evans likes this.
  24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    You have every right to be angry Steven. Ferraris is a great Brand. The problem I often see with great cars is with the individuals representing that Brand. Thankfully its not costing you to get the car sorted but its still disappointing. A little attention to the details would have helped them retain you as a customer. Its unfortunate for them that they lost a customer because of their lazy incompetence.

25. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    What a bummer. Please accept the following as my lame attempt to give comfort under the "It could always be worse" category.

Here is an account I posted in the general Ferrari discussion several years ago. Apologies if you already read it.

"I've been blessed to own a bevy of exotic cars over the years. However, never, until the event discussed herein, have I found myself in harm's way while driving. While my past experience would suggest that the incident was an anomoly, it has certainly given me pause for thought. It's now been about 8 months since it happened. I've reached the point where it's less painful than it is interesting, and finding myself with a few quiet minutes, I thought I'd share the experience for the good of the brotherhood, or at least for your entertainment.

I special ordered my Ferrari 458. After what seemed to be an eternal wait, it arrived looking more spectacular than I could have imagined. There is simply no experience like taking delivery of new Ferrari, especially after painstakingly selecting the color combination and options. Because it landed in the late winter, I decided to transport the 458 down to a warmer climate to enjoy it while the new was still dripping off of it. I had owned the car for about a week when I invited my best car buddy for a sunny weekend drive. We were having a great time, enjoying the sunny desert day, keeping to ourselves and getting familiar with the car through a combination of urban and highway driving. We stopped in town for a burger and a soda, then made our way through stop and go traffic back toward the freeway.

As we were driving from signal to signal, we had the windows down. I heard yelling on my right, and we both looked in the direction of the noise. It was a young gentleman in a scruffy RX8 with a female companion. They were in the lane next to us. He was giving us the thumbs up, smiling, hollering, saying something that appeared to be positive. This, of course, is not the slightest bit unusual for anyone who has ever driven an exotic. We gave the obligatory wave of acknowledgement, returned the smiles; the same basic routine. At this point, the presumption would be that the admirer would go on about his business after the exchange of pleasantries. However, such was not to be the case...

We stopped at the next red light, and our admirer was still next to us. With the cars stopped in traffic, we could now easily hear his manic voice. "That is the most f#$$***& beautiful thing I have ever seen. It's f#$$%&* incredible. I can't believe it" He went on and on. This was not normal. I tried to smile and nod in acknowledgment. Between the colorful language and the somewhat aggressive delivery of the compliments, my bud and I both began to feel uncomfortable. We were stuck next to the guy in traffic, but I immediately started looking for a way out and away. The light turned green, and despite the obvious temptation, there was no way I was going to try to speed off to lose the guy; given his sketchy behavior, that seemed to have disaster written all over it. So, we just sort of crept along, at probably 5 mph below the speed limit, hoping he would be on his way. Our admirer stayed next to us, lurching forward and back, goosing the throttle, in the old school drag race taunt. My buddy and I exchanged a worried glance and tried steadfastly to ignore the surging RX8. He stayed with us as we approached the freeway onramp.

The ramp was a tandem-lane left turn. I was on the inside lane, the RX8 on the outside. I began to make the turn, going quite slowly, probably no more than 10 mph. Again, I felt the urge to simply nail the throttle and be gone. I resisted for the same reason as before. With the widows still down, I was relieved to note the RX8 recede in my peripheral vision.

Then I heard it; the engine note of the RX8 suddenly screamed as if the driver had floored the throttle. For an instant, I thought I would see him shoot past me in the outside lane and be gone. Luck, however, was not on my side. The next sound we heard was the screetch of tires as the RX8 went into wild oversteer. The driver got sideways, overcorrected, and speared us right in the side, just behind the passenger side door. The sickening sound of the impact is something that I will never be able to forget. The unfortunate driver had foolishly goosed the throttle while in mid turn and lost control. We were the innocent victims of his temporary insanity.

I immediately pulled to the side of the ramp. I was in mind numbing shock. My friend, who thankfully was completely uninjured, still had his wits about him and called to report the incident. The driver of the RX8, who was now stopped sideways on the ramp, managed to get his car to the shoulder in front of us. He exited the car and with his head in his hands, and bagan to profusely apologize. He inexplicably approached me as if he were going to hug me, but my buddy intervened and pulled him aside. I don't remember much about this part, but I do remember looking at the guy and asking "why would you do that?" A couple of very kind motorists who had witnessed the low speed circus stopped and offered to be witnesses to the event. One was a middle aged lady who commented that she has been admiring the 458 in traffic and couldn't believe her eyes when the Mazda fishtailed and hit us. She stayed with us until the Highway Patrol arrived and gave her statement. The Officer took our statements, and cited the RX8 driver. The Patrolman was sympathetic to our plight was very efficient and helpful.

We examined the 458. The damage was ugly, and it made my heart sink. The good news, of course, was that the there were no injuries. Moreover, the 458 was still completely drivable.

We commenced our sad journey back to the garage in the wounded, brand new 458. I was speechless and completely heartsick. It wasn't so much the damage as it was the trauma of having waited with such anticipation for the car to arrive, only to have the whole thing go in the crapper because of the stupidity of someone else. I'm not accustomed to being a victim, and I will tell you that I hate it! I operate under the persistent delusion that I can control everything if I just try hard enough, but the one thing you can never control is the behavior of a stranger. In this case, I thank heaven that it was only a car. And yes, in the end, it is only a car. First world problems and all that.

The consequences of the five seconds of foolishness were complex and tedious. After consulting with my wonderful dealer, we decided to send the car to Premier Motorsport in Carson, California for repair. They are a world class Ferrari repair facility. To say that I am a perfectionist would be a gross understatement, and after consulting with Dave and Roger at Premier, I was convinced that they were the right shop for me. They proved to be awesome folks to deal with and their reputation is well earned and deserved. The car seemed to be there for an eternity, but they were actually very efficient and in hindsight, they got that car done more quickly than I could have hoped for otherwise.

Premier gave us good news after the initial damage assessment: while the injury was certainly ugly, it was relatively benign. There wasn't much behind the damaged panel that was hurt in the collision. There was no structural or frame damage. The suspension and alignment of the rear corner were unaffected, and the repair was quite straightforward. They said that it appeared the impact was at very low speed, and that the RX8 was probably hard on the brakes when it punched us. They likened it to a low speed parking lot accident, sort of like an old lady backing into me going very slowly. Best of all, they decided that they could do an all-metal repair to the panel (in other words, no fillers) and have the car back to factory specs without a lot of invasive procedures.

The final result was a masterpiece of detail. They even consciously matched the slight orange peel of the surrounding panels so that the repair was completely undetectable. And believe me, coming from a pathological perfectionist like myself, that really means something. If ever I need the services of a body shop in the future, Premier is the only place I will take my car, even if it means transporting it to California. I was also grateful that the car was not a metallic color; it is so very difficult to repair and match metallic paint.

My insurance company, State Farm, was stellar. They covered all the repairs and my rental car. More importantly, they waived subrogation so that I could go after the insurance of the car that hit me for my diminished value claim, which I successfully accomplished. Please do not ask for the monetary details, as I do not feel it appropriate to share them in a public forum. Suffice it to say that I was made whole, and the car was made whole.

Right after the accident, my very kind dealer offered to order me a new 458, which I accepted. That new car should be here in a couple of months. However, after seeing the work that Premier did, I now realize that I would have been just as happy to have kept the first car and the diminished value check to boot. I will say, however, that it was nice to order another car and get to have the experience again.

I try to ask myself what I could have done differently to avoid this unfortunate series of events, but I have come to the conclusion that it was just the fickle hand of chance. If this is worst thing that ever happens to me in a car, then I will count myself lucky. First world problems indeed."

Alexcle, michaelo, GT2goneF and 7 others like this.