C/4 and 365GT on BaT | FerrariChat

C/4 and 365GT on BaT

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by donv, Sep 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It will be interesting to see how these do. Strong early bids for both cars. The 365GT seems to be an excellent example in a beautiful and interesting color combination.

The C/4, while having some nice documentation and seeming reasonably nice, is resale red/tan, which I don't care for.

I've noticed a general slowing on BaT over the last couple of months in the cars I watch-- typically Porsches, Mercedes, and the occasional vintage Ferrari. Cars which are being re-run there after a few years are generally bringing lower prices, and even cars which I think would have brought a higher price in the spring are now weak.

There just seem to be fewer real buyers to me, but that's just my perception.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why not just post a link?

3. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  4. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Having owned a C/4 for 13 years, and regretted selling it since, I like to watch the market on these cars.
    Been 6 of them on ebay now for over one year. That's gotta be a record.
    The one on BAT appears to be a decent example, even if red which IMHO does not work well on a C/4.
    At least with BAT anyone can see what people are really willing to pay for a car.
    I believe the vintage Ferrari market is pretty flat, given the number of cars selling and the prices realized.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I'm pretty sure the C4 is one that had a story written about it in the UK Ferrari Owners club magazine many years ago. IIRC the car was spotted in Saudi Arabia abandoned on the side of the road after being involved in an accident, by a British expat. After seeing it he managed to track it down to a scrap yard where it was subsequently towed, and then managed to convince the Saudi Prince who owned/ crashed it to sell it to him. It was then brought to the UK and restored. I remember it because it was just after my Dad brought the first of his C4's and there were almost no articles anywhere about them at the time.

readplays, Zanny1 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    C4 was bid to $175,000, No Sale.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    No surprise on the C/4. Even the best C/4s seem to struggle to get to $200k. I'm still interested in getting a C/4 (although the timing is wrong for me at this exact moment), and I wouldn't pay over $200k for one. I also wouldn't even consider a red one.

Nembo1777 and 375+ like this.
  8. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Sad but true, C/4's get no respect though they are GREAT for long distance motoring. I have done several 1,000 mile or more trips at speed with little or no problems. Very comfortable on highway and back roads, lots of storage space and if you put a removable sun screen on the inside of the back window the A/C keeps you cool even on the hottest days. I just repainted the car Blue Sera Metallic and the engine was rebuilt in 2018 so it is ready for the next 100K miles.

That reminds me, how many vintage Ferrari owners have watched their odometers roll over at 100k? Not many I suspect. Might be a worthy thread as we know that "Ferraris are meant to be driven".

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    365GT, on the other hand, is already at $175k and seeing some strong bids. Of course, it's a much more desirable color combination and appears to me to be a better example. However, from what I can see on the market, C/4 and 365GT seem to generally be priced at about the same level.

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    $247k for the 365GT! A strong result for a 365GT, but I think the color, seller, and overall condition really made a difference.

11. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
  12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    $279k might have worked at the peak of the market. Have any 365GTs sold for over $300k in the 2000s?

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Don, I think Mark Dempsey’s QM went for something like 357 at Pebble 6 or 7 years ago.