430 - Replacing Head Unit | FerrariChat

430 Replacing Head Unit

Discussion in '360/430' started by F1fletch, Sep 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    Hi everyone and happy hump day!

So when we got my wife’s 430, one of the things on my short list (pre Covid) was a great stereo.

Needless to say our MOD list has gone nowhere due to obvious challenges and some not so obvious. But planning and hoping to get back soon, wheels, exhaust etc. Back on topic....I was pleasantly surprised by the sound coming from the stock two way components while simultaneously being horrified by the deck and my inability to use it with any sort of aptitude.
    I refuse to play with it further and have promised my wife (gulp) I would replace it. Does anyone have experience doing this? We don’t have the subwoofer option so I am thinking it might hopefully be a single din deck swap?!

We don’t need more than a deck honestly and I would prefer doing it myself as I don’t trust anyone. I appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction for potential issues (alarm?) or other things. If I could find the wiring color code maybe it will be fairly straightforward. ;)

2. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    brogenville and armedferret like this.
  3. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    Perfect, ordered!! Thanks so much - Now I just need a wiring diagram lol

4. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
  5. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    Thank you, That’s golden. Will post my progress on a deck install.

fotostars likes this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    An Alpine radio/ cd player is a straight swap with no wiring mods of harness needed.. appox 5 min change

7. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    Wow, really no changing the can either, that’s pretty awesome!!

8. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Uh wouldn't that emulate the car side wiring? I have a BE6112 on my desk here and those are the portion that plug into the head unit. Or since OOS the picture is wrong?

I would think you want the female plastic socket style to then directly wire to the adapter of whatever head unit you choose. (female ISO to accept stock harness into say Kenwood or whaterver)

9. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    OOPS MY BAD. You are correct. It’s the other sex needed to adapt a different head unit to the car harness. I looked briefly at my Amazon order history and I SENT THE WRONG link. I used those for another application :(

Apologies to the OP!!

Richard.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    No worries. Those ISO connectors are standard and cheap on amazon/ebay etc.

11. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I installed a new Alpine with Blutooth etc. It looks odd but it is what it is. Job took me a few minutes.
    So easy it wasn't funny. The longest time was spent hiding the cable up the pillar for the mic.
    It still sounds terrible once the engine is running and I have some nice component speakers.
    In fact I'm thinking about going back to stock and adding a Parrot now.

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    After all of the marketing hype, a speaker is a dumb, round thing that moves in and out when told to. The name of the car stereo game (and home stereo as well) always has been, and always will be, POWER.
    The stock speakers and a high quality amplifier will always sound better than high end speakers with no amplifier.

13. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Well it is actually the fact that the nicer amps can provide the power at lower distortion. Distortion is moving the dumb round thing in a way you did not want to.