V-12 Maintenance | Page 3 | FerrariChat

V-12 Maintenance

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Highmiler, Dec 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Well don't throw them away. Post pics.

RicSinger and Il Tifoso like this.
  2. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  3. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    So I guess a couple of week already came and went but here is my engine going in.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  5. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Question to the group:
    Since the day I bought my car, I noticed the front bumper has about 1” separation to the drivers side fender and there are some washers supporting this gap. Since the car was high on the lift and without engine, I was able to inspect the car and can’t figure out why would anyone would have make this modification / adjustment.

There is no frame or any other damage underbody Etc

@bjwhite any thoughts?

Thanks

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    No washers on my car for sure. The (fender) sheet of metal that holds the bolts is quite thin and got distorted on mine. My car is "gen 1". Maybe that these rectangular bits were added in order to cure this issue. These would however have to be located between the bolt and the body panel, not between the body panel and the spoiler.

Installing the spoiler on my car is a pain as some grounds are tapped on these bolts (where you washers are). Holding together the spoiler, the bolts, the washers and the eyelets of the ground cables is a real challenge. Maybe someone lost patience...

7. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you for the feedback.
    At some point soon, I will paint the bumpers black as they should be and at that time I will sort this out.

Thanks

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I've studied and re-studied these pics...both on my phone and on my laptop, and other than the spacing under the left side front bumper to the lower valence, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at.

9. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    That is exactly it, the left side of the balance is separated by some washers and I do t know why someone placed those washers to make some adjustments and I can’t figure out why.

Once the service is done and the car with me, I will take those washers out and i am sure that then, I will learn why they were placed there.

Thanks for taking the time looking at this.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ricardo,

From your pics, it looks as if the left (from the driver's perspective) spoiler edge was lowered in order to provide clearance for the driving light? This should not be needed, unless the from left corner was bent downwards from a light accident or something. Also, by lowering this corner like what was done, it looks as if it pushed up the other side, as there should be a gap between the fender and the spoiler, and your pics/angle show that the Right side is touching.... which will certainly causing wear/damage to your spoiler edge at some point.

Cheers,

Sam

Il Tifoso and raemin like this.
  11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #61 raemin, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Fixing the frame here is not going to be an easy task... A no nonsense fix would be to mount the fog-lights like on the earlier models, i.e on the spoiler instead of the chassis.

Here is a photo of a spoiler I am currently working on. You can see on the air duct, the mounting holes for the fog lights. For a gen2 it would be necessary to drill the hole on a slightly different location, but you get the idea.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  12. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    HI SAM:
    I think you may be right, I will be getting the car back very soon and will address this.
    Thanks for the observation.

By the way, engine is back in the car

Il Tifoso likes this.
  13. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    I don't think the frame has issues but you never know.
    I will see and report

Thanks for the feedback.

14. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hello everyone
    Just to let you all know that on Saturday I picked up my car from the super major service.
    It came out fantastic, it runs like a dream, it has absolutely no leaks and everything is gooooood.

Pending items to sort out:
    Electric short that makes turn signals to work erratically.
    Speakers need to be replaced
    Bumpers pain black as they are supposed to
    Rear panel (were tail lights are) paint silver as it was supposed to be
    @raemin @bjwhite @Highmiler

Al Campbell, Il Tifoso and raemin like this.
  15. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Thanks for sharing these gorgeous pics of the engine bay...

There are a few bits that I do not see in my car, just curious as to what these are meant for?

16. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California

Hello I’m funny you mention these , I had the same question and the answer I got from one of my mechanic friends was that when the car was imported those things were put there and connected to hoses basically to meet visual inspection in order to be imported however they were never functional.

I am not sure if this is true but this is the information that I have

17. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hello everyone here is an update:
    Engine out service, bakes, turn signals and some odds and ends have been all finished, the car is running like a dream, the only pending items are rear exhaust mufflers.

As my 400i comes to being totally done, I ran into a situation where the fuse for the A/C and heater fans keeps blowing and I dont know where to start checking and for what.

Please send me your comments and recommendations.
    @bjwhite @raemin

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    For your burning fuses, here are my suggestions :
    1) Best advice I got so far : https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/cabin-blower-motor.591661/page-2#post-146452525 . Forget the Chinese copycat, just buy the real (expensive) product and apply it to as many connection as you can (even the fuse tabs)
    2) As of 400i gen2 the relay board was "upgraded" (Newman would call it a bean counter move) : https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/robzworkz-6-66-a-enjoying-the-electrical-demons-relay-board-renewal.312775/#post-140267896
    3) if you do not feel brave enough for 2), an upgrade was advertised not so long ago on this board. Not cheap but cures the issue for good.

I do not have a gen2 car so not sure what this grey box could be all about. Does not look stock (cable sheeting & fast connectors aren't). I would assume some sort of decommissioned emission control setup (just like the temp probe I sported earlier). There is a load resistor so this could also be some sort of DC noise filtering.

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    That is a DC Johnson K-Jet air/fuel control module, added during Federalization to meet emissions requirements.

20. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hi @raemin
    Thank you for this good advice, Although I much prefer option two, I think its way to big of a job for me to handle, I will read all the thread (s) and see if I can somehow make it happen.

Thanks agin for all the support, knowledge and help.

21. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you @bjwhite
    I am going to see if I can clean up / delete components that add no value without causing problems.
    Thanks

22. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Before KE-jet was implemented, pseudo lambda K-jet could be implemented as follows:
    1) add an oxygen sensor,
    2) a control module
    3) a frequency valve that would more or less restrict the fuel return feed from the WUR.

The wur adjusts the control pressure of the injection (you have to lower the control pressure in order to enrich the mixture). The way this is performed is as follows: some gasoline passes through the WUR that more or less restrict this flow and let the excess fuel return to the tank. The higher the wur restricts the feed, the higher the control pressure and vice versa. In other words the more gasoline the wur lets escape to the tank the lower the pressure (richer mixture). If you put a frequency valve between the wur and the tank you can basically block the return feed and increase control pressure (i.e lean the mixture > reduce pollution).

Judging by your previous posts, I cannot see any frequency valve in your engine bay. Maybe you should carefully trace the fuel lines and validate my assumption. If you look at the fuel distributors (the aluminium block with 6 output to the injectors). In the centre of the distributor (in the middle of the injector outputs), you have an additional output that goes to the WUR. This output reaches the WUR through a 10mm banjo connector, the return line is the other one (line with 8mm banjo). This return fuel line gets back to the side of the distributor (bottom end).

If none of these fuel lines was butchered, removing the leftover of the emission control setup should be much easier for you compared to what other FChaters had to come through...

23. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Could you confirm your wind-shield wiper timing relay does work? I would be interested in a close-up of the connector (& cable colours). Your timer (SIPEA 0413) is different than mine and just wondering if this one could be used as an easier to source alternative.

24. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California

Good evening.
    Thank you for all this information.
    I will do this tracing but actually I would like to remove this box if possible.

I pulled up the box and on the underside looks yellowoish as if it’s been over heated or burned, it may jot even be working.

25. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Yes my wiper timer is working, the wipers are slow and underpowered but do work.

Give me a little more detail or explanation of the photos you want and I’ll be happy to take them for you, further if you want, you can call me on Saturday or Sunday and I can face time to show you anything you need.

Send me an email and I’ll reply with my phone number

[email protected]

Thanks.