812 GTS driver feedback please. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

812 GTS driver feedback please.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by khal360, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I’m at 2000 miles on my GPF Superfast. The v12 howl is now amazing and in the UK I don’t want it to be any louder than it is....

LMH, KarlA69, ryalex and 3 others like this.
  2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Can I ask, was it progressive as you added more miles... got louder and better sounding?

3. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    Has the max rev of GPF V12s (812 SF & GTS) been revised to 8500rpm? That’s a bit of a bummer.

4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Where did you see that, there is a vague reference here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147273942/

other than that, the 812GTS Rev Counter still shows 8900RPM red line

if changed, that would be really something important to know

Ferrari's website indicates

"The 812 GTS is the spider version of the 812 Superfast, from which it takes both its specifications and performance, most notably the power unit which, thanks to its ability to unleash a massive 800 cv at 8500 rpm, is the most powerful engine in its class."

So, 8500 rpm is where max power is generated, and Ferrari's website indicates 8900 rpm rev limit for the GTS

5. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Even after discovering this information, I’m still happily moving forward with my order. I realize this is a sensitive topic so I don’t want to get in trouble. ;)

Of course, if current owners feel comfortable chiming in, I’d love to learn more. I respect my source. :)

6. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    My previous post was referring to this but I failed to quote.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is the same for the SF. No changes in rpm capabilities.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you look in the SF owners manual, it is all there. Peak power was 8500 pre GPF and limiter is set at 8900 rpm pre GPF. The 812 never had its peak power at 8900 rpm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I was told by an owner that the GPF cars has max rev revised to 8500 rpm (rev limiter). I have no idea whether max power has changed.

10. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    that is blatantly inaccurate, max rev is 8900 max power delivered at 8500.

per Ferrari: https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/812-gts

11. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I would love to hear owners of GPFs equipped cars confirmation. While the rev counter likely shows 8900 rpm as redline, when does rev limiter comes in when in manual shift mode?

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's a few questions you need to ask your friend. First is if he changed gear himself and saw that it "hung" on the limiter at 8500. If this is not the case and he was in Auto for instance, then it does not matter because the regular 812 does not change at 8900 either. It changes at the point where it hits the most power in the next gear. Trust me, 8900 is not where you want to change for maximum performance. It's dependant on gear ratio, max torque point and split in ratios up through the gears. Often the case is that you have to change at lower rpm as you go through the gears to maximise performance. It might be cool to hit 8900, but it will not make you fast. When you want to do the fastest sprint possible for say 0-300, let the car shift because they have programmed the optimum shift points into the system. You can find articles about how to calculate shift points etc. online.

So you need to find out whether he just had the car shift and thus assumed that it would not go higher due to GPF, or if he did in fact test this by letting it hit the limiter.

At any rate, have a meeting at my dealer tomorrow with a possible GTS test. I'll find out one way or another.

sampelligrino, of2worlds and Avia11 like this.
  13. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I drove an 812 GTS a few weeks ago and mine will be here within the month. You can ask anyone you want but that doesn't change the way the engine was built

14. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Confirmed with my source, it’s shifting manually and rev limiter is preventing revs from going above 8500rpm.

Do all 812 GTS have GPFs? I don’t doubt the engine as it’s clearly capable of 8900 max revs. When I get mine (812 SF), I’ll be happy to share. I don’t have an agenda here as I simply want to get to the truth. I would be happier with 8900 rpm so there’s no reason for me to want 8500 rpm rev limiter to be true. I also am not discounting first hand owner’s experience shared with me.

15. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    All of them have it. My SF didn’t but my GTS does. It doesn’t bother me at all

16. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Are you referring to the 8500 rpm rev limit not being a bother for you?

17. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I think he is referring to GPF.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I would be curious to hear from @RamsHmb. My source (an owner that has done lots of WOT, manual shifts) shared a video recording with me that confirmed the 8500 rpm rev limiter on a US GPF 812 SF.

19. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I would be curious to see it. Post it.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Okay so revved a Euro spec GTS today. 8900 no problem. I also asked the manager of the dealer workshop about it, and he confirmed that the pre GPF and post GPF 812's all have the exact same rev limit. We also tried a non-GPF SF and it revved the exact same way. I'd like to see a video of that claimed 8500 limiter, because that does not match with what I saw two hours ago.

As for GPF? Yes, all GTS cars have GPF. Do I care? Nope because the car I heard today was just as loud and pissed off as the non-GPF car. Here's what's interesting. The GTS was on the lift earlier with no pan on it, so I saw the full exhaust system. Unlike a non-GPF car, it had no centre muffler. The non-GPF cars have the following. Cat, centre muffler, rear muffler. The GTS had straight pipes and rear box. According to my rep, this was a new thing the most recent cars have come with, so apparently they have made a change during this year. Just as another example, the 2021 car we fired up and revved, was a lot louder than a non-GPF Lusso. The main difference is when the flaps close. When closed, it attenuates more than the others, but once they open, it gets properly loud and raw. It was growling, raspy and overall nice and aggressive.

Lastly, the 3000 rpm limiter in Neutral some worry about. I asked, and that is removed as part of the PDI of a new car. So that has nothing to do with Euro regulations or the like. It is for transport purposes only and all cars delivered to customers can rev just as much as the non-GPF cars in Neutral.

21. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Respecting the owner, I’d defer to him if he decides to post (I see it as his decision). Do you have a GPF 812 that you can help confirm?

Hmm. That sounds promising but mysterious at the same time. Were these free revs or in gear WOT pulls?

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #147 Il Co-Pilota, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Free revs but held at the limiter for 1-2 secs. Also, I would be more than surprised if their lead tech would lie to me as we have always been upfront with each other. If he says 8900 in gear, I have zero reason not to believe him, especially when I saw the engine rev to 8900 out of gear.

of2worlds and Avia11 like this.
  23. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    That’s great to hear and thank you for getting and sharing this information!

To be extra clear (since the forum format makes the overall narrative harder to see at times), I love Ferrari, had 3 so far (2 purchased new), the 4th one has been ordered, considering a 5th (and I expect more future ones). Even if the rev limit has been revised to 8500 rpm, I will still keep and enjoy the incoming 812 SF (it still sounds great and it’s not about the specs for me anyway). Of course, if it remains at 8900 rpm, even better.

It could also be that there’s something unexpected with the one I’m aware of too.

24. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Nothing like squelching fake news.

25. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    hmmmm sounds like a bunch of fake news