Is it still possible to find a TR project car? | FerrariChat

Is it still possible to find a TR project car?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Former Aston owner, Sep 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Former Aston owner

Apr 20, 2020
    CA, SC
    Full Name:
    Benjamin W.
    I was looking for a hobby car and thought a TR would suit very well. Was looking for one without engine transaxle and accessories, just chassis interior and gauges. I've seen quite a few old listing like that but non in recent days. Any chances something in this state would pop again on the market or almost all TRs like that became parts bin and died off?

2. 1RedHead

1RedHead Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Mexico City / NC USA
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    Sounds like a very expensive proposition by the time you could get all the parts and get it back on the road. Unless you are planning on dropping a GM crate engine and transaxle in it.

3. Former Aston owner

Apr 20, 2020
    CA, SC
    Full Name:
    Benjamin W.
    I don't think GM would even fit. My goal is to electrify a TR and fix some ergonomics issues. I know going without the TR engine lost half of the essence but overall I am seeing this as a test of my own theory on many things. If I can find a body without the original powertrain it doesn't quite make much sense to return to original spec anyway IMO.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cool idea..lots of room in a tr for electric motors. Remove the fuel tanks..more room for batteries. Almost the perfect candidate for conversion...though it will be back end heavy..

Reaper 917K likes this.
  5. Former Aston owner

Apr 20, 2020
    CA, SC
    Full Name:
    Benjamin W.
    The original car to me is already pretty back heavy, but some battery pack can be placed in the front... But with that, the distribution of weight is still scattered on both ends. But first thing first I need a shell and I won't strip a car that has an engine came in it.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if you would fill out your profile more then we would know what state you mean ;)

great idea you have with the electrifying. good luck

7. Former Aston owner

Apr 20, 2020
    CA, SC
    Full Name:
    Benjamin W.
    Haha, I can definitely do that. I was more referring to the condition than the location. But if you see one that fits in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa I'd still go get it.

8. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  9. Former Aston owner

Apr 20, 2020
    CA, SC
    Full Name:
    Benjamin W.
    Thanks for the link, I think I saw that TR chassis before. It's a little too stripped to me, but that is definitively one car to consider.

10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I believe most of the parts are still available...a good project car. Or you can design your own parts ...thats what I would do.

11. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Looks like you just missed this one:

12. Former Aston owner

Apr 20, 2020
    CA, SC
    Full Name:
    Benjamin W.
    I did try to get on hold of this but it just didn't happen. That TR was pretty ideal for me, sad but also not that it is now being restored to a regular car.