Any local NJ 308 guys to help me with carb clean? | FerrariChat

Any local NJ 308 guys to help me with carb clean?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mr308gtb, Oct 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Hi. Owned my 77 308 GTB 20 years now. Never had any issues with it, but now the carbs are gummed up and I can't get it started. It fires up if try starter fluid, but wont run more than 10 seconds. Fuel pump is running. Would love to meet someone local not afraid to take apart the carbs. I am 44, had the car since I was 24 and plan to keep it at least another 25 years. I need to know this stuff... I am familiar with carbs and mechanical things, I fix everything, but this - just too damn intimidating. I hate the idea of having to tow it to my tech, but will if last resort. I'm in north NJ, up near Paramus area.

2. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Just posting that 5 minutes ago, made me realize I need to stop being a puss about this. I can buy a carb sync tool, I can even buy a weber 40 dcnf carb and take the damn thing apart. I can buy the vacuum tools. I want to know how to fix my stuff... anyone local and willing to talk please PM, would be very grateful.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The carbs are not difficult to do. The best thing you can do is to re-build them one at a time so you will always have 3 others to reference :)

Here is a reference to a bunch of articles I wrote on the subject:

http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/search?q=carb

4. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Thank you Rob... I will check that out.

5. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Those are for sure helpful. This video is very intimidating. Makes it look impossible.

6. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The carbs look intimidating, but after one or two, yo should feel comfortable. The dino reference above is really comprehensive. Its a very good guide.

Get a diagram (available on line).
    there are several good publications that detailed the teardown and overhaul procedure.
    Get a box with compartments to organize the parts when you take them out.
    Take pictures.
    Make drawings
    Check the sizes of the various jets to see if they all 8 match.

The linkage on each end (where one carb connects to the on on the other side is carb specific-take pictures or make drawings)
    If you take the throttle plates out of their shafts and then remove the shaft, consider using sealed bearings (prevents air leaks)

I used Simple Green aviation Formula to soak and clean mine. I did not remove the lead balls when I cleaned mine.
    The top gasket comes with either 4 or 5 holes. check yours.

Good luck