Sold - DIVORCE SALE! - 1995 Ferrari 355 Challenge | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sold DIVORCE SALE! - 1995 Ferrari 355 Challenge

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by rob lay, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think I have the original ones any more and I don't think when I got in 2003 the seats in it were the challenge ones. I can find pictures to confirm, I put the upgraded current ones in there about 2008.

2. FrankieFourEyes

BANNED

Sep 3, 2019
    Those seats are probably what’s keeping it from selling, super rare and one of the hallmarks of the cars. You should try to find a set ! It’s a lovely car and deserves them.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I doubt the seats are keeping it from selling. that is just stupid. I can understand if car was as is 1999 after Earle had won a couple championships. It would then be yellow, have original stickers, and a cheap bolt in cage along with the cheap original seats. It evolved 2000-2003 when raced by Ed and then 2003 on when I raced it upgraded seats, fire system, and custom cage. This car was taken care of and ran, not put up wet in 1999 as a museum piece.

technom3 likes this.
  4. Vance4re

Vance4re Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2018
    Atlanta,GA
    Full Name:
    Vance
    technom3 likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Final call out before I take off the market! The car is now 100% mine, Jennie got the 328. I need a street Ferrari. Car is being shipped from Ferrari of Houston to Norwoods, where I will take it off the market, work on Classiche, title for street, track it, and then get major done before marketing again in 2 years. Before I get into that this is the cheapest the car will go for and I am open to all trades +/- cash. Thanks.

KMR968Turbo and of2worlds like this.
  6. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    this is a great pedigree car. however, it's been dinkered with a bit and will cost quite a lot to get it back towards it's original 'collector value' state. I think that's been the challenge with it. i'm still interested around the number I had previously pm'd you - but if you choose to hang onto it and do the things you're talking about, I would love to see the end product sometime regardless!

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    send me your numbers again, there has been quite a bit of message interest.

the original pi system in there and most of the car, cage upgraded to full weld NASCAR vs. challenge bolt in for safety, not race legal for any organization anymore with original bolt in.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was out for dinner with the girlfriend yesterday and couldn't properly respond.

the car has not been "dinkered" with at all except to meet current racing safety standards. the original challenge cages are not legal in USA for SCCA, NASA, or International GT. this cage is very clean and custom, so what you would want unless never tracking it. Same thing with the racing seats, belts, and fire system. Ferrari Classiche and IACPFA do not ding race cars for keeping safety systems up to date. tell me anything else that has been "dinkered" with?

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This car is an FChat legend.

just sayin'

4re308, ScottS and Cigarzman like this.
  10. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I remember this car driving through Eureka Springs for a Crescent Classic dinner event. Love the snap crackle and pop.

Someone needs to buy this historic racecar.

slm likes this.
  11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I love this car. These cars are amazing and one day we will say- I could have had one for xxx,ooo. Just like we do now for the 30k Dinos from 1980.

Keep it,

IloveGT and rob lay like this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  13. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Not many people have a car that has its exact 1:18 die cast model made of it. Too cool. Hope you keep and enjoy it.

rob lay likes this.
  14. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Maybe I missed it reading through the updates, were you able to get the title in hand?

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As I read it, he has chased that trail as far as it goes....

Most modern Challenges have no Title, and transfer on a Bill Of Sale.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I do not have title in hand, but there is 100% no reason why not. I have owned the car for 17 years and I bought from Ferrari of Dallas then with Bill of Sale and all the registration/title fees included. I never got a title! Tony Nevotti has tried, but I bought from a widow at the time she cleaned and moved out of their house and everything went into storage not living close to Houston. Many attempts Tony was unsuccessful getting it from her out of storage. Tony can confirm this story and you can see if he has any other strategy, remember a Challenge title wasn't quite as important in 2003. My current strategy is someone can buy the car now at a discount and they can use the Bill of Sales and try to get title in hand from the widow or go the bonded title route. This is what I'll do here shortly taking the car off market. Whether I do or a buyer does now, it will of course increase the value. Especially in coordination with getting it tagged in Texas as 25+ years old.

So as I take off the market, I'm going to keep a couple years doing the following that will help the value...
    • Update all service.
    • Obtain title.
    • Texas tag.
    • Complete Classiche
    • Compile all history (I have all service and most race, just want to organize it)
    Either I go through the steps and get the value out of it or someone can buy at discount now and do that themselves. I don't think many will disagree this is one of the top Ferrari blue chip prospects, the recent BAT auction for an average car confirms this.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Theres a Title Service within my local corner car lot.

If the Car was titled in Texas, the easiest would be the Widow to file for a replacement, and then sign it to you.
    If out if State it would still be similar.

Finding the old scrap of paper I would say odds were "Slim to none" and Slim just left the room..:D :D

As you also stated, Ferrari of Dallas owes it to you as you paid them for it..:D :D

INRange likes this.
  18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It is a risk if streeting it, as if this car was ever Impounded, you certainly would NOT get it back, without having your ducks in a row.

rob lay likes this.
  19. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    There is an IF to this: If the car was never "titled" (a lot of race cars aren't)....there would be nothing to reprint. I would think that if Ferrari of Dallas originally sold the car....they would have this answer. If they didn't originally sell the car, then another Ferrari dealership would have the answer. I have owned several race cars where the only document I had was the Bill of Sale. We would show up, pay them, load it on the trailer and leave with a Bill of Sale. That said....we never had a reason to convert a race car to a street car.

If I had to start someplace....I would start here:

https://itstillruns.com/do-car-title-search-vehicle-5717260.html

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there is a title, it started as a street car, title is in possession with the widow I bought it from, although it might literally be lost 17 years later.

21. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    It is your car (a beautiful one). If you run a VIN check that will confirm at least what State it was titled in. Depending on the State.....it could be an easy process or it could be complex. Every State deals with lost Titles. I have a 1966 Shelby GT-350 we used to race and have owned for 44 years. Somewhere along the way when I registered it in 1974, the SFMSxxxx became SFM5xxxx when DMV got done with it. I didn't pay attention to it then and didn't see the problem until we stopped racing it and it sat for 20 years. Then imagine the surprise when I started matching up the Title with the VIN. Fortunately the laws in VA deal with the problem. I showed up at DMV with the VIN plate and the old Title and they gave me a new Title on the spot with a copy of the old one for my records.

You paid Ferrari to deal with it but if they haven't figured it out in 17 years....then I would think this would be a five minute job for the guy who founded Fchat. :)

btw ....sorry about the divorce although it usually gets a lot better once you are done writing checks!

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think we'll have to go the bonded title route, because also in storage (I think) is the power of attorney or whatever between the widow and his name on the title. She was a 2nd wife, so some complication there I guess. We'll see, I'm going to document my entire process starting when I get the car back for the title, service, tagging, compiling history, and Classiche.

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Much depends on the state where the buyer lives. In my state it would be no problem at all to buy it. The problem could be when I wanted to sell it to someone in a different state with different title/registration laws.

24. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Is this car still for sale?

Jakuzzi likes this.
  25. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner