Corvette C5R GT class Sebring | FerrariChat

Corvette C5R GT class Sebring

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by F1tommy, Oct 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Does anyone know the story on this car. I dug up and scanned these photos of the C5R notchback taken at the Sebring 12 Hours. The team said it was a 1999 C5R with new bodywork and different engine among other things so that it could run in the GT class. Maybe to expensive for private teams, and why bother??

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

k wright likes this.
  2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    If your wanting info on this specific car you need to find out who the builder of it was first. I know Phoenix built a lot of them for SCCA racers back in the day. The C5R is one on the greatest race cars produced. It dominated T1 for almost a decade and well into the C6's run. SCCA finally had to change the rules to where it was not competitive in T1 anymore.

Boomhauer and k wright like this.
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    This was a factory C5R.

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I highly doubt this was a factory car. In '99 GM had the black and silver cars. In 2001 they went to yellow with Earnhardt and Jr driving the #3. This car is not of the lineage and not factory unless you have the docs to prove it.

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Sorry, let me restate. It was a 99 factory C5R chassis modified and run in GT class by a private team at Sebring in 2002. I am not trying to prove anything, just wonder what happened to it and how it happened. GM was thinking about running both classes from what they told me. GTS with factory and GT with private teams and factory assistance.

6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Interesting story. Wonder how a 99 chassis got away from GM when they were just starting their racing program? Regardless, it is a bad ass car. I have owned and tracked hard a couple of C5Z's and there wasn't much that could touch me unless I was up against superior talent.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The GTS factory team told me they already had built new cars and the 1999 cars were just sitting around at that point. I just wish I had the chassis number. It ran at Sebring and they were right across from the factory teams tent so I have no reason to doubt their stories. I looked it over and the cage and alot of the details looked C5R wich I saw every year starting in 1999 at Daytona and have hundreds of detailed photos of them. My guess is it has been converted back to original now or this car was actually built up from C5R parts during 2001 and 2002 with factory assistance.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I found out from somebody who owns and knows C5R's, this GT class car was from a batch of 1999 customer cars modified up to C5R GT class standard with GM assistance. They were supposed to make 20 of them of wich atleast 2 were brought up to C5R GT standard.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I know Wikipedia is what it is, but the only 2 Corvettes listed for the 2002 12 hours are the factory cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_12_Hours_of_Sebring

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    kylec and Devilsolsi like this.
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Sorry, I used to go to Sebring and Daytona every year and mixed up the dates. Here is the chassis history and it was a factory assisted effort as both teams told me. I don't know what the other cars chassis numbers are and don't know if this chassis number is accurate. Maybe this is the only one that raced of the supposed 20 cars.

Chassis LMGT 2000-17 - Photo Gallery - Racing Sports Cars

The owner who told me the history and owns several ALMS cars and also the Lemans 2003 C5R works car. He said he sold C5R chassis 1 and lives in the Chicago area. This photo was Sunday at the Geneva Concours near Chicago.

Attached Files:

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I LOVE that C5R in the background.

13. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed