Push or Pull through the radiator? | FerrariChat

Push or Pull through the radiator?

Discussion in '308/328' started by raines, Sep 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    My fans were making this horrendous noise louder than the engine itself (seemed like it anyway). I know the motors need servicing, but I also noticed the fans were blowing away from the radiator or pulling air through. Is this normal? From a previous thread I believe it should be pushing. If push is correct, what is the easiest way to change this? Would pulling air have a damaging affect to the fan motors (making them work against air flow)? Thx!

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    In a 308, the fans are pushers. Pulling the air would work against the natural airflow coming into the radiator - thus, a bad idea.

waymar likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Fans should be blowing air at the radiator.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's crazy.

I know you can reverse the polarity on aftermarket fans to reverse direction but I didn't know these factory units would do it if hooked up in reverse by accident.

WTF?

5. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    May be helpful when driving at high speeds in reverse.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I hadn't thought of that. A relay driven off of the backup light circuit could change fan direction based on direction of travel. I think I need this mod!

Saabguy likes this.
  7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Funny timing of this thread. About two weeks ago, I realised that one fan is pushing and the other fan is pulling. Not sure that I have ever seen this before. My assumption is that the one fan that is pushing is simply wired backwards. The fans have never been out during my ownership, six years now.

8. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well, turns out the fans were hitting the plastic housing (Porsche part- I know...). Anyway, reversed polarity by switching the wires on both fans. Had to ease tension on the housing to alleviate scraping and is now running great!