2v Valve Replacement DIY? | FerrariChat

2v Valve Replacement DIY?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Imatk, Oct 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Since my car is down anyway due to the transmission (and I seriously doubt the valves have been replaced) I figured it would be a good time to replace my sodium valves.

Is there a writeup or procedure for such a job on here anywhere?

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    It’s the same as changing the valves on any engine but getting the heads off can be quite a challenge. Do some research on this forum, watch some YouTube videos (replacing engine valves) and find someone nearby to help/teach you. I have valves for £10 and viton stem seals for £1 plus shipping and you will probably need to re-line the guides (don’t replace them as the guide holes are not concentric with the seats so new guides will sink the valves into the seats once cut/ground.) Many engine shops will have the K-line 8mm guide lining kit.

3. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    So I can't just buy new guides for the valves? I've done valves on a 4-cylinder but didn't have to do guides, just seals and keepers

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Remove engine from car,
    Remove heads from engine,
    Send heads out for a valve job, and pay for the valve replacement
    Install heads back on engine,
    Install engine back in the car.

Unless you own a complete machine shop, a valve job complete with grinding and lapping valves as well as cutting the seats, is entirely out of your DIY realm.

thorn, greg328 and Nuvolari like this.
  5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    If you send the heads out make sure they can either re-line the guides or fit guides with undersized IDs and index cut the guides to match the seats (not vice versa which they will otherwise do.) Most will fit std new guides and cut the seats to match which will sink the valves into the heads.

I found removing the engine and then the heads far more difficult than cutting seats. For my 308 I didn’t actually need to cut the seats as the re-lining kept the valves concentric with the seat— just lapped them in after some mild porting and plugging the air injector ports.

6. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
  7. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Thanks very much Mike! I just read through the whole thread. I would like to be involved like you were with my work as well. I'm not sure if that would be possible since I don't personally know a machinist.

But pulling the eninge and your list will help immensely. Wish you were in Austin Texas :)